User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Do you deny that this happens, or do you think that it's not an issue when/if it does? IOW, are you suggesting that the member of the majority should just accept it as his lot when this happens, and "quit whining"?
    I think everyone should quit worrying about what "race" has a leg up on them and just do they're own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And what I was saying is that I think that mentality is more accurate of the latter scenario, while things wouldn't be very different with the vegetarian be they a minority or a majority.
    Okay, well you're a veggie (I think), so your perspective is quite pertinent here...

Do you think that's right then? I mean, that a veggie has the right to moralise and criticise the practice of eating meat in front of those who do - not only those who aren't overly attached to the practice and merely do it from habit, but those who consciously believe in it such as myself? Do you view yourself as having the right to bring it up and give your views wherever you please, regardless of how the present company feels?

Not all veggies see themselves as part of a morally superior movement. A close friend of mine for example, says "I just don't like the idea of eating a dead pig, you know? I'm just squeamish I guess. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, if you can stomach it, but I can't". He sees it as a subjective choice he's made according to his "squeamishness", and not a question of morality.

If the meat eater has chosen according to their sense of morality, to eat meat (as I have), then is the veggie therefore being disrespectful of another person's values, to hound them about it? Or do they have the right to do so, is it less bad in your eyes, on account of them believing themselves to have the moral high ground?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I think everyone should quit worrying about what "race" has a leg up on them and just do they're own thing.
    I agree - it's not good for people to get bees in their bonnets about this, in general.

But I'm talking about individual incidents - what to do on those occasions. When somebody is behaving to you in a way that offends you, that you consider rude and direspectful of your choices in life, and believes they're entitled to do so because they're representing the views of their minority group, do you then still feel so "big picture" about it?

I'm talking about it in practice, not as an abstract or general concept.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I agree - it's not good for people to get bees in their bonnets about this, in general.

But I'm talking about individual incidents - what to do on those occasions. When somebody is behaving to you in a way that offends you, that you consider rude and direspectful of your choices in life, and believes they're entitled to do so because they're representing the views of their minority group, do you then still feel so "big picture" about it?

I'm talking about it in practice, not as an abstract or general concept.
    In that instance, I will stand up for my position no matter what the social cost to my reputation.

Thats what I did in all the gender threads that plagued the forum not too long ago.

The only way to deal with this sort of crap is honesty.

Oberon

I think you're seeing tribalism in action here.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It seems like a shitty argument because "white" and "Muslim" are not mutually exclusive.

I mean, if we had "Jews hate Blacks," then we'd have to ask, "Okay, then how did Beta Israel happen?"
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The only thing anyone can ever do is be a committed advocate for their personal point of view.

Say whatever you want, as long as you know its you saying it, and not just parroting some thought you heard somewhere.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Proximo, are you not too being intolerant of these people talking about how you are annoyed about it here? The thing is you are siding with the majority in this one. The minority feels... minor and therefore it would be common to find them talking in the way you see them talk. Get people from the majority and make them a minority somewhere else and you will find the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think you're seeing tribalism in action here.
    Yes, it's interesting. I don't feel offended on behalf of meat-eaters of the world in general when in this situation, but purely on an individual basis. I don't feel angry at vegetarianism or veggies generally, but at this individual. To me, it has nothing to do with groups or tribes, it's just a person being rude to another person, in my opinion unnecessarily. That's what bothers me. It bothers me more though, that they do it unapologetically - other types of rudeness, if pointed out to a person, are usually (eventually) apologised for. But in cases like these, the rude person doesn't acknowledge that they are being rude.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Are the feelings of the minority worth more simply because they are the minority?

I know in this country at least, we have the freedom to say or think whatever we want.

I don't think someone else's feelings should come before freedom of speech.