User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default 30 thousand U.S. troops deployed

Wow. I must say, I'm confused myself. I thought the biggest reason for electing Obama was to bring the troops home and get out of the middle east?

President Obama Announces Afghan War Strategy at West Point - ABC News

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Money talks BS walks.

Appears like that was just another scam...Obama it seems is just another LBJ.

Disappointing but not surprising; democrats and republicans are just the same ticket. Another illusion of choice.

Yes We Scammed.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

wat

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know about the rest of you limp wristed terrorism apologists, but I have a problem with the existence of the Taliban. You know, the same Taliban that sheltered Bin Laden after 9/11.

Good on Obama for not being a Carter-like bitch.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you limp wristed terrorism apologists, but I have a problem with the existence of the Taliban. You know, the same Taliban that sheltered Bin Laden after 9/11.

Good on Obama for not being a Carter-like bitch.
    This. Also, the consequences of failure are too great to warrant giving up at this point; not because of the "sunk costs" involved, but rather because the costs of more warfare is currently less than the costs of failure.

As for people feeling betrayed about Obama, on this issue he doesn't deserve that (and I'm not one to cut him any undeserved slack); he made it a point to differentiate between the two wars from the beginning-anybody voting for him should have already known that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was for going into Afghanistan after 9/11, but mismanagement and the invasion of Iraq really screwed things up. Anyone who really believed that Obama was truly going to be a different politician was deluded. That being said, this is probably necessary if there is to be any chance of "success" in Afghanistan. It's a shame (and a crime, IMHO) that we chose to start another offensive war while we were fighting what could reasonably be considered a retaliatory war.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think that his campaign capitalized on him saying he would pull troops out of iraq because during that time Iraq was the major focus. His plans for that have also been changed, so he's a liar either way, but I don't remember him ever saying that he would pull troops out of Afghanistan.

That being said, putting more troops in is a good thing. Regardless of whether it was right to go in, the reality is that we are in conflict and cannot afford to lose. The surge is a good idea to beat back Taliban insurgents, win over Afghan support, and build Afghan security forces. These are the main objectives, and they must be achieved.

However, issuing a time frame to pull out is probably a bad idea---both militarily and politically. Suppose 18 months pass and no troops pull out. A lot of Americans will be mad at Obama and mistrusting. In Afghanistan, insurgents who know this plan can use it to their advantage. Guerrillas attack when and where they want to attack, unless they are losing very very badly. They can slow down their efforts 1. until US leaves and Afghanistan is less secure or 2. to draw out US presence past 18 months to influence US public opinion even more against the war so that elections in the US force ourselves out.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Remember that time I told everyone that troops will be sent overseas no matter what president is elected, and to disregard campaign tactics? No one else does either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think this was a bad move strategically and politically.

Throwing more troops into Afghanistan won't help that much. If there's any hope there at all, it's more political than military. This is has already become quite obvious.

If anyone is interested in hunting terrorists, they are in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I bet nobody is going to vote for sending 30,000 troops into either of those countries, though.

As for Obama's image, the war is just too unpopular. In his campaign, he did basically say Afghanistan was the war he liked, but it makes no difference. His image would fare better to break his promise and give people what they want, than to keep his promise and not give them what they went.

I give Obama two thumbs down for this one.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think this was a bad move strategically and politically.

Throwing more troops into Afghanistan won't help that much. If there's any hope there at all, it's more political than military. This is has already become quite obvious.

If anyone is interested in hunting terrorists, they are in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I bet nobody is going to vote for sending 30,000 troops into either of those countries, though.

As for Obama's image, the war is just too unpopular. In his campaign, he did basically say Afghanistan was the war he liked, but it makes no difference. His image would fare better to break his promise and give people what they want, than to keep his promise and not give them what they went.

I give Obama two thumbs down for this one.

The counterinsurgency is aimed at Taliban insurgents, not exclusively Al Qaeda. The problem is that without a secure and stable Afghanistan, the Taliban, the guys who harbored terrorists, will come back to power and we'll be back to where we started in 2001. I don't want that to happen, and at this point in the game a troop surge is necessary for victory. More troops there is good for so many reasons.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli