User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Why should we use taxpayer dollars and American blood to build the infrastructure in Afghanistan for something that happened 8 years ago? Because a former government was bribed to let some bad men camp in their mountains? As if the new government is so honorable as not to be bribed similarly? Why would any 3rd world country not harbor terrorists if after a little bombing their whole infrastructure gets rebuilt by the American Taxpayer? Its absurd.

I could see going after the bad men (even though we let them go at Tora Bora) but they are in Afghanistan Pakistan (Late Edit) and Saudi Arabia (and who knows were else while we are dicking around in Afghanistan they are getting further away planning God knows what).

Didn't we learn anything for the BS invasion of Afghanistan (late edit typing to fast I guess) to stop the "weapons of mass deception"?

Its all about 1984 esq. "Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace". And to ensure a war is going on when Obama runs for reelection in 2012. "There's a War going on, its unpatriotic not to reelect Bush Obama in a War" ( ooops 2004 flashback)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Why should we use taxpayer dollars and American blood to build the infrastructure in Afghanistan for something that happened 8 years ago? Because a former government was bribed to let some bad men camp in their mountains? As if the new government is so honorable as not to be bribed similarly? Why would any 3rd world country not harbor terrorists if after a little bombing their whole infrastructure gets rebuilt by the American Taxpayer? Its absurd.

I could see going after the bad men (even though we let them go at Tora Bora) but they are in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia (and who knows were else while we are dicking around in Afghanistan they are getting further away planning God knows what).

Didn't we learn anything for the BS invasion of Afghanistan to stop the "weapons of mass deception"?

Its all about 1984 esq. "Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace". And to ensure a war is going on when Obama runs for reelection in 2012. "There's a War going on, its unpatriotic not to reelect Bush Obama in a War" ( ooops 2004 flashback)
    We rebuild infrastructure because not all Afghans support terrorists. Those terrorists have to be stopped along with their allies. But why should normal people suffer for that? Being callous to them and not seeking support will only generate more terrorists and insurgents from among civilians. You'll notice also that the government (albeit weak) in Afghanistan today is not the same one in 2001--that's why governments should be cautious about harboring terrorists. It's not as simple as just going after bad guys--i wish it were. Countries don't like outside intervention from the US many times, but when we go somewhere, it is imperative for us to leave a positive and serious image.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

We will always end the wars

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’
    Edmund Burke
    I N V I C T U S

Anybody who is surprised wasn't listening to Obama during the campaign. As lowtech redneck says, Obama always drew a clear delineation between Iraq and Afghanistan. He saw Iraq as a misguided war and Afghanistan as a just war. I tend to agree with him.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Anybody who is surprised wasn't listening to Obama during the campaign. As lowtech redneck says, Obama always drew a clear delineation between Iraq and Afghanistan. He saw Iraq as a misguided war and Afghanistan as a just war. I tend to agree with him.

Agreed.

Although, at this stage of the game almost a decade later, I'm not sure it even matters anymore.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not sure ground troops are the best solution. Sending in too many ground troops was what failed in Vietnam without decent support from the air, lack of armor, and lack of tanks, wasn't it?

What they need is more equipment, not more men... if you ask me. Sending an "army" of psychologists and missionaries to reeducate the citizens might also be an effective and underused tactic.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Wow. I must say, I'm confused myself. I thought the biggest reason for electing Obama was to bring the troops home and get out of the middle east?

President Obama Announces Afghan War Strategy at West Point - ABC News
    The military industrial complex defeats logic yet again...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The military industrial complex defeats logic yet again...
    Well, I think the military industrial complex would work a lot better if the military held up their end of the bargain and sent money home from conquered territories. But alas, we'd never get away with taxing these people...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, I think the military industrial complex would work a lot better if the military held up their end of the bargain and sent money from conquered territories. But alas, we'd never get away with taxing these people...
    The funny thing is, we wouldn't care if we did tax them.

The amount of money we could gain from that would be seen as a slap in the face for rebuilding the country. We'd rather just let that be our gift to them.

Edit: which is pretty much the only silver lining of any of our latest series of imperialistic occupations.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The amount of money we could gain from that would be seen as a slap in the face for rebuilding the country. We'd rather just let that be our gift to them.

Edit: which is pretty much the only silver lining of any of our latest series of imperialistic occupations.
    Oh, I see! If we rebuild the country and let it be a "gift," and they prosper as a result, they'll be grateful to us, and we'll potentially be looking at good long-term trading partners rather than a short-term source of tributary income.