User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 188

  1. #141
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    I think that purposeful targeting of civilians during war is tantamount to manslaughter. Dropping the atomic bombs could never be justifiable to me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #142
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think that purposeful targeting of civilians during war is tantamount to manslaughter. Dropping the atomic bombs could never be justifiable to me.
    Yeah it's a big issue. But I think about the fact that many of the US soldiers who would have died in a campaign against mainland Japan is even worse. The US troops were largely draftees, and thus would have had little say in their deaths. The only difference is that they had uniforms and guns.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  3. #143
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    One A bomb would have done the same job the second was tantamount to mass murder (same with the firebombing of Dresden). Read somewhere that the Japanese radioed in their surrender after the first bomb but an Hawian translator mistranslated it (he prolly was still pissed about Pearl Harbor)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  4. #144
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Yeah it's a big issue. But I think about the fact that many of the US soldiers who would have died in a campaign against mainland Japan is even worse. The US troops were largely draftees, and thus would have had little say in their deaths. The only difference is that they had uniforms and guns.

    I don't believe in military conscription, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #145
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think that purposeful targeting of civilians during war is tantamount to manslaughter. Dropping the atomic bombs could never be justifiable to me.
    Yes, the deliberate targeting of civilians during war is a war crime. And when we were fighting the Japanese hand to hand on the Kokoda Track in New Guinea, we didn't take prisoners nor did the Japanese. It was a fight to the death even though the killing of prisoners is a war crime.

    All war is evil but sometimes it is necessary to choose the lessor of two evils, or simply to choose your own people.

  6. #146
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    One A bomb would have done the same job the second was tantamount to mass murder (same with the firebombing of Dresden). Read somewhere that the Japanese radioed in their surrender after the first bomb but an Hawian translator mistranslated it (he prolly was still pissed about Pearl Harbor)


    Even after the second bomb, some of the Japanese high ranking officers refused to accept the possibility of surrender - they believed that the destruction of the country was more honorable than the defeat. After Hirohito finally decided to capitulate, those officers commited suicide to save face. Check out movie "Hiroshima", its very educational.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  7. #147
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post


    Even after the second bomb, some of the Japanese high ranking officers refused to accept the possibility of surrender - they believed that the destruction of the country was more honorable than the defeat. After Hirohito finally decided to capitulate, those officers commited suicide to save face. Check out movie "Hiroshima", its very educational.
    Yes, and the order had already been given that, in the event of the invasion of the Japanese mainland, all prisoners of war were to be murdered.

    So you can imagine how the Australian prisoners of war felt on hearing of the Japanese surrender without the necessity of invading the Japanese mainland.

    And we wanted to hang the Emperor and end the Emperor system. But the Americans with their incomprehensible reverence for royalty kept the Emperor alive and so the Emperor system. And this led to effective one party rule in Japan for seventy years.

    But still the revolutionary Americans revere royalty as we saw just the other day as the American President Barack Obama bowed from the waist - from the waist - to the Japanese Emperor for all the world to see.

  8. #148
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    To the OP: wtf, Obama was elected for a strategy of withdrawing the troops from Iraq and reinforcing them in Afghanistan.
    That was the plan, why are people suddenly surprised and whiny?

    (and don't forget those 7000 sent by the allies of the US)

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If anyone is interested in hunting terrorists, they are in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
    lol

  9. #149
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think this was a bad move strategically and politically.

    Throwing more troops into Afghanistan won't help that much. If there's any hope there at all, it's more political than military. This is has already become quite obvious.

    If anyone is interested in hunting terrorists, they are in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I bet nobody is going to vote for sending 30,000 troops into either of those countries, though.

    As for Obama's image, the war is just too unpopular. In his campaign, he did basically say Afghanistan was the war he liked, but it makes no difference. His image would fare better to break his promise and give people what they want, than to keep his promise and not give them what they went.

    I give Obama two thumbs down for this one.

    Well-said... Nobody has taken that country since Alexander the Great.
    The west has to break them down with civilization and politics if there is to be a a lack of "terrorists" any decade soon...
    We can't send priests there and convert them. They'd just kill them and spit on their corpses.
    What's needed is some form of political ideology that makes people read books and become agnostics or atheists.
    Of course, a cultural problem of fundamentalism can't be gone over-night, it'll be a long process.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  10. #150
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, and the order had already been given that, in the event of the invasion of the Japanese mainland, all prisoners of war were to be murdered.

    So you can imagine how the Australian prisoners of war felt on hearing of the Japanese surrender without the necessity of invading the Japanese mainland.

    And we wanted to hang the Emperor and end the Emperor system. But the Americans with their incomprehensible reverence for royalty kept the Emperor alive and so the Emperor system. And this led to effective one party rule in Japan for seventy years.

    But still the revolutionary Americans revere royalty as we saw just the other day as the American President Barack Obama bowed from the waist - from the waist - to the Japanese Emperor for all the world to see.
    fuh fuh fuh. :rolli:

Similar Threads

  1. Obama's 30 minute commercial (sealing the deal)
    By Didums in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
  2. [INTP] If you put 30 INTPs in a room together...
    By Sunshine in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 06:36 PM
  3. US Army 2008 Modernization Strategy: 30 or 40 Yrs of War
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
  4. 30-day challenge
    By Randomnity in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO