User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

When I lived in Northern Ireland, the sectarian violence there was astonishing. NC/SC were highly settled by Northern Irish, English and Scottish, and we brought our grudge matches with us.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I wish guns had never been invented. Worst weapons ever.
    This really makes no sense to me. Guns are a great societal leveler - without them, feudalism never ends, since there is very little chance that a peasant who toiled his entire life could stand up to a noble who had the spare time to practice the art of handheld warfare. After guns, that peasant can pick off that nobleman from 50 yards. Enough of those peasants, and the state has to start taking their interests into account, either through democratic forms and/or a massive welfare state.

Plenty of worse weapons than guns, too, with little residual positive effect. VX gas, for one. W87 thermonuclear warheads, for another.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Never said I was a Yankee... I'm a Marylander. We're a state that's always lumped in as the "other" region. Yankees point out that we're below the Mason Dixon line, and Southerners claim their region starts with Virginia. No one wants us. It's led to a state-wide identity crisis.
    You're not the only "other".

You can join the club with Missouri and Kansas.

MBTI
    INTP

I've lived in the south for most of my life. Currently in NC.

You know what kills me? When I see people from Pennsylvania with more Southern Pride than most people here.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post

Great. The three states can start a self-esteem group, and learn to say: "Oh yeah? Well, I didn't want to be part of your stupid region anyway!"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    my mothers family lives in texas and I grew up south of the mason-dixon line (there was even a highschool in the area named after general Lee), but what would i know.

I still think your opinion is extraordinarily ignorant. There are wonderful things about the South, and if you don't appreciate them, we don't want you here anyway. We don't miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    We do college game day different in the South.

Can't be replicated.

Case in point: The Grove at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yea it's really tough down here.

If your blind.
    Great pics! It makes me sad football season is over... And great pic of the Grove at Ole Miss, I experienced that last fall. Oxford, Mississippi is one of my favorite places to be. The square is fabulous; the restaurants, the bars, and the stores are great.

I do love the South, I have never lived anywhere else though, and was very blessed growing up. I have an amazing and big loving family (we definitely have our quirks and disfunction though), with deep roots here in the state of Alabama. The Sons of the American Revolution recently dedicated my 5th Great Grandfather's grave just 50 miles south from where I live right now. Not everyone had the experience I had, though. We have our problems, for example, the state of Alabama ranks last in legal aid to the poor. Most of the older generations in my family, and my friends families have deep racial prejudices. A lot of people suffered and struggled at the pleasure of others for many years because of our customs and traditions, and people to-day are still suffering because of the practices in the past. Looking from other people's perspectives it is easy to see why there could be a negative opinion of the region. However, most of the comments on here about Southerners don't fit with my experiences at all. Most of the people I'm around are some of the most peaceful, laid back, kind, and generous folks you'll ever meet, and they consist of the rich, poor, black, white, and any other label you can think of. I have never really sensed the animosity towards people the way some are describing here. Look at statistics of the most charitable states: all southern. Peace.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by southern_lawyer View Post
    Most of the people I'm around are some of the most peaceful, laid back, kind, and generous folks you'll ever meet, and they consist of the rich, poor, black, white, and any other label you can think of. I have never really sensed the animosity towards people the way some are describing here.
    This is my experience as well. To me the South is women who call you sweetie and baby and ask you to join their family for dinner. The South is being able to get sweet tea in a restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, it's pulled-pork barbeque sandwiches topped with slaw, black strap molasses on soft fresh biscuits, eggs with red tomatoes, homemade fried green tomatoes, catfish, greens with fatback and vinegar, and Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon. The South is men who will help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road without expecting payment. The South is lush oak trees whispering in the wind, torrential rains during hurricane season, clean beaches, winding country roads lined with crops and livestock, children playing free in the field, and being able to walk barefoot weather permitting. The South is beautiful old houses with huge front porches and creaky front porch swings. The South pulsates with history, with ghosts, with spirit, with life. Our history is not an entirely pleasant history, but what region of the world can boast of centuries of perfect peace? None that I am aware of. The South is overcoming adversity and appreciating differences. The South has its very own flavor and character which is shaped by people of several different ethnic backgrounds, no matter how much outsiders don't want to believe it. The South is home to me, like a warm green womb. I'm relieved and thankful that there is still somewhere in this country where you can just relax, be yourself, take your shoes off, and have another helping of sweet potato pie.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is my experience as well. To me the South is women who call you sweetie and baby and ask you to join their family for dinner. The South is being able to get sweet tea in a restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, it's pulled-pork barbeque sandwiches topped with slaw, black strap molasses on soft fresh biscuits, eggs with red tomatoes, homemade fried green tomatoes, catfish, greens with fatback and vinegar, and Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon. The South is men who will help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road without expecting payment. The South is lush oak trees whispering in the wind, torrential rains during hurricane season, clean beaches, winding country roads lined with crops and livestock, children playing free in the field, and being able to walk barefoot weather permitting. The South is beautiful old houses with huge front porches and creaky front porch swings. The South pulsates with history, with ghosts, with spirit, with life. Our history is not an entirely pleasant history, but what region of the world can boast of centuries of perfect peace? None that I am aware of. The South is overcoming adversary and appreciating differences. The South has it's very own flavor and character which is shaped by people of several different ethnic backgrounds, no matter how much outsiders don't want to believe it. The South is home to me, like a warm green womb. I'm relieved and thankful that there is still somewhere in this country where you can just relax, be yourself, take your shoes off, and have another helping of sweet potato pie.
    Wow. I never expected to hear anyone describe the South that way.

You know, I really guess it just depends on which people in the South you find yourself around... perhaps it isn't so much about the region as the people in it.

I mean, if you took away all the people in the South and put them all together somewhere else, and then placed a bunch of people from somewhere else in the South, would the Southerners act differently, and would the new people act like Southerners? I very much doubt it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post

Identity-crisis state club! Yay!

Then again, Kansas and Missouri are kind of together Maryland is too far away. Then again, I hear Baltimore's an awful lot like St. Louis...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge