User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 182

  1. #71
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Calvinism spelled the end to Lord Byron's sanity. lol

    I have a funny story. Y'all already know I'm a punk rock girl. I was hanging out with my ESFP best friend Shorty and my sis LadyJaye, when a friend of Shorty's shows up and says "Hey, y'all wanna come out for some fun?!" Heck yeah! So we piled into his car and drove out into this part of town that was remote, somewhere we'd never been before. It was a club tucked back off the road.

    When we pulled in, there was nothin' but Camaros and trucks in the dirt parking lot. LOL I was like, "Oh my goodness..." but Shorty's friend dragged us all inside the cowboy club. All heads turned to stare. Why? Because I was wearing a black Harley Davidson t-shirt, cut-off shorts, biker boots loaded with chains and straps, and had a big skunk stripe in my hair. I thought for sure this would be a terrible idea, but Shorty pulled me off to the side and de-punked me a little, which was apparently unnecessary because when I reappeared, a good-looking cowboy grabbed my hand. It was the caller. He winked, smiled really big and said, "We don't get mucha your kind 'round here.... COME ON, BEAUTIFUL!"

    He pulled me out on the floor and danced with me. It was a lot of fun. I was laughing the whole way through. Of course, I was a nervous wreck when I walked in - my urban attitude was to be on guard - but after the caller grabbed me, that put me in the "acceptable" category.

    It was much the same way when I went into diesel. I scared the heck outta the guys when I first arrived just based on my appearance, but they respected our foreman who's given me the big thumbs up, plus when they realized I was a nice sociable girl, they warmed up to me right away.

    I had no idea I freaked them out until one of them -- one of the most archetypal tobacco-chewing, belt-buckle-wearing, drawly country guys around -- told me so months later. He put his arm around my neck as we walked, said "We pick on you because we like you. You're like our sister. Only not."

    hahaha
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  2. #72
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Plus, I live in Houston, which is one of the largest cities in the nation, so Athenian: I'm sorry, but it can be just as bad in the cities if not worse.....like the gang wars in Los Angeles.
    Well, then...

    You've just convinced me that I need to get away from this place. Gun-carrying madmen are all over the place in this state.

    I'm just glad I don't go outside often. I'm sure I would have been shot.

    I don't want to live in some violent cesspool where people have to rely on weapons.

    I wish guns had never been invented. Worst weapons ever.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Ok, so there is just way too much to quote here that I have problems with.

    First off, this is the Southerners TRIBUTE thread. You don't like the South?

    Well, that's great, but no one here CARES.

    Second: Southern stereotypes

    Because everyone here is a gun toting, bible thumping, racist, neoconservative, redneck, right?

    Well allow me to retort:

    1) You got me on the guns thing. I do like them. They are a hobby of mine. I enjoy the history that surrounds them, and I love taking them apart and figuring out how they work. And shooting is a stress reliever for me. Yes. But like Biaxident said, you can find that anywhere! Plus, I live in Houston, which is one of the largest cities in the nation, so Athenian: I'm sorry, but it can be just as bad in the cities if not worse.....like the gang wars in Los Angeles.

    2) I am a Deist. Enough said on that.

    3) Everyone is racist/prejudice! EVERYONE!!!!!!! Its inherent in our society. (note, I'm trying to keep these brief, but I can go on if someone decides to push the issue)

    4) I am a libertarian

    5) I despise all derogatory terms such as redneck, cracker, hillbilly, etc. Do any of you who use these terms to degrade people know where these terms come from? This is not rhetorical. I want an answer.

    In short, I believe that stereotypes, while many times true, usually represent the most extreme form of a particular group of people.

    It'd be like if I said everyone in California are a bunch of weed smoking, socialist, hippies.

    Now, regardless of how you feel about that, it simply isn't true.

    Personally, I despise white trash, which can be found ANYWHERE!!!!! And I depise illiterate bigotry.

    As far as the ass kicking goes: I have no qualms about violence. Violence is merely a form of diplomacy. And when talking fails, then it sometimes must be called on.

    I do not believe it is a solution to every problem, but it is a solution to many, and has been throughout history.

    As Nietzche said, conflict progresses society. Many of our technological and medical advances have been made through war.

    And as for the Civil War. The South fired first at Fort Sumpter. Unfortunately so, because I wouldn't have if I were them.

    I do not believe that secession should be considered illegal. If a state no longer has the same goals as the rest of the nation, then let them pay their dues to that nation and strike out on their own. That being said, slavery was a despicable institution and I would not have supported it. But I am an advocate of state's rights.

    Sure, there are negative connotations (sp) to go with the South, but there is a lot of good things. If you disagree with anything I've said here, then that's fine. I could really care less.

    I know who I am. I know what I believe. I know my heritage. I acknowledge the mistakes and the negative aspects of such, but that will not keep me from having pride in the good things. In fact, it only inspires me more to lay such stereotypes to rest.

    Look out world, this is one educated, multicultural, and enlightened Southerner you do NOT want to mess with!

    But um......I'm still keeping the guns.

    NOW IS THERE ANYTHING......ANYTHING AT ALL........THAT I LEFT OUT? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
    If your argument is that the South should be appreciated for its Nietzsche-quoting libertarians who describe themselves as intellectually "enlightened," then you would probably lose me as a promoter of the South That's not really my thing.

    I've always kinda liked the South for the humility of its people. Tons of smart people who don't feel that they have to prove how smart they are every 5 minutes. At least that's what I've found over the times I've visited the South.

    That said, I agree with you that ignorance and bigotry can be found anywhere. It always bothered me that people like George Wallace are universally denounced for his racism (as he should be), while people like Herbert Spencer, who basically made racism acceptable among the educated classes, get a historical pass. Sometimes I think a lot of the objections are more class-based than values-based. Bigotry is bigotry no matter how well-educated and cultured the bigot.
    Last edited by Ruthie; 12-03-2009 at 01:14 PM.

  4. #74
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Ok, so there is just way too much to quote here that I have problems with.

    First off, this is the Southerners TRIBUTE thread. You don't like the South?

    Well, that's great, but no one here CARES.

    Second: Southern stereotypes

    Because everyone here is a gun toting, bible thumping, racist, neoconservative, redneck, right?

    Well allow me to retort:

    1) You got me on the guns thing. I do like them. They are a hobby of mine. I enjoy the history that surrounds them, and I love taking them apart and figuring out how they work. And shooting is a stress reliever for me. Yes. But like Biaxident said, you can find that anywhere! Plus, I live in Houston, which is one of the largest cities in the nation, so Athenian: I'm sorry, but it can be just as bad in the cities if not worse.....like the gang wars in Los Angeles.

    2) I am a Deist. Enough said on that.

    3) Everyone is racist/prejudice! EVERYONE!!!!!!! Its inherent in our society. (note, I'm trying to keep these brief, but I can go on if someone decides to push the issue)

    4) I am a libertarian

    5) I despise all derogatory terms such as redneck, cracker, hillbilly, etc. Do any of you who use these terms to degrade people know where these terms come from? This is not rhetorical. I want an answer.

    In short, I believe that stereotypes, while many times true, usually represent the most extreme form of a particular group of people.

    It'd be like if I said everyone in California are a bunch of weed smoking, socialist, hippies.

    Now, regardless of how you feel about that, it simply isn't true.

    Personally, I despise white trash, which can be found ANYWHERE!!!!! And I depise illiterate bigotry.

    As far as the ass kicking goes: I have no qualms about violence. Violence is merely a form of diplomacy. And when talking fails, then it sometimes must be called on.

    I do not believe it is a solution to every problem, but it is a solution to many, and has been throughout history.

    As Nietzche said, conflict progresses society. Many of our technological and medical advances have been made through war.

    And as for the Civil War. The South fired first at Fort Sumpter. Unfortunately so, because I wouldn't have if I were them.

    I do not believe that secession should be considered illegal. If a state no longer has the same goals as the rest of the nation, then let them pay their dues to that nation and strike out on their own. That being said, slavery was a despicable institution and I would not have supported it. But I am an advocate of state's rights.

    Sure, there are negative connotations (sp) to go with the South, but there is a lot of good things. If you disagree with anything I've said here, then that's fine. I could really care less.

    I know who I am. I know what I believe. I know my heritage. I acknowledge the mistakes and the negative aspects of such, but that will not keep me from having pride in the good things. In fact, it only inspires me more to lay such stereotypes to rest.

    Look out world, this is one educated, multicultural, and enlightened Southerner you do NOT want to mess with!

    But um......I'm still keeping the guns.

    NOW IS THERE ANYTHING......ANYTHING AT ALL........THAT I LEFT OUT? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
    Here Here!

  5. #75
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, then...

    You've just convinced me that I need to get away from this place. Gun-carrying madmen are all over the place in this state.

    I'm just glad I don't go outside often. I'm sure I would have been shot.

    I don't want to live in some violent cesspool where people have to rely on weapons.

    I wish guns had never been invented. Worst weapons ever.


    I dont think you realize what several people have been saying, guns are everywhere. And even if you can find a place in America or any other highly industrialized country that doesnt have guns, you will still find violence. Their are very few places in the world that you will not find such. Anchorage, one of the most remote cities in the world. Has a huge problem with the Crips and their heroine and meth trade. With having such a problem with violence then cities are the last place you want to be. Shove 10s of thousands of people in to a local region and your going to have violence. Every city has its gangs, its drug trade, and its gun toting mad men.

    If violence is what your afraid of then you best chance is to avoid it is to go and live with some peace loving, war hating small tribe of aborigines in some remote place of the world. But you would only be safe from violence towards man, you would still be expected to slay and gut meat for your knew family among other "tasks that you find below you".

    So it sounds like your out of luck, you might as well just stay under your covers for the rest of your life. Read about the horrors of the world on your laptop and have your mother bring your food to you in the haven of your home. Lets just hope she out lives you so you never have to know the "horrors" of providing for yourself.
    SDMF

  6. #76
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    The South is ascendant.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #77
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm just glad I don't go outside often. I'm sure I would have been shot.
    I notice that in your posts that you always emphasize the fact that you live such a shitty life.

    I've deduced that you really want people to pity you.

    But you and I always differ on these discussions. And I before I say this, I want you to know that I mean no offense, because I really don't have anything against you. I'm a live and let live person. So forgive me if this comes out harsh.

    In a world of strong and weak, you're the weak. And being strong doesn't mean you pick on the weak, mind you. But it does mean that you don't get picked on. The problem is that you haven't grasped this concept of balance. You need to be a strong person who lives and let lives, but will stand up for himself when confronted by another strong person that doesn't. Until you do, you will always live in fear.

    I don't want to live in some violent cesspool where people have to rely on weapons.
    I don't. But they're there if I need them. Besides that, they're conducive to my hobbies. Like for example, historical reenacting. Have you ever been to one? I think you would really appreciate it.

    Besides this fact, I appreciate the skill of using certain weapons. Archery in my opinion is an art form that is not truly appreaciated. Just like martial arts could be compared to a dance.

    As far as the philosophy, let me give you my take on it. You speak about how you never go outside and stuff. Ok, if that's what you like. But I sense that you are very much ruled by fear. You fear to go outside. You fear to take risks. You'd rather live in a fantasy utopia granted to you by the land of the internet in order to avoid the very real world filled with very real dangers. I don't see how the MTV/internet/materialistic mentality today helps people value life.

    My life is valued by the fact that at any point, I could lose it. I get off on being in the midst of chaos and bringing about order. An adrenaline junkie, if you will. But because of this, I appreciate life and the pride I get from a "warrior mentality" which values honor above all. I won't let this world bring me down. I'd rather bring down the world.

    I fear no one. I will lash back at anyone, and this act has indeed got me into some trouble. But I'm still here because I've accepted the fact that in order to survive it, I must be the strongest.....or at least give the appearance of it.

    Do you think this makes me heartless? That I can appreaciate the luxuries of the strong? I don't think so. I appreciate the other things in this world. Like love, music, poetry, and knowledge as much as you do.

    I'm only going by what you say, but it appears your philosophy enslaves you to fear. Let go, admit bad things are unstoppable, but do your best to prevent them anyway, and don't be afraid to live.

    I wish guns had never been invented. Worst weapons ever.
    Because swords and battle axes were more civilized, hmmm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    If you're argument is that the South should be appreciated for its Nietzsche-quoting libertarians who describe themselves as intellectually "enlightened," then you would probably lose me as a promoter of the South That's not really my thing.
    Well, as a liberal Yankee, you don't understand what its like to live in a region that is constantly stereotyped the way the South is. So I felt an obligation since it looked like this was where the conversation was going.

    That wasn't my argument, though. My argument was more about the heritage itself, hence me creating this thread.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Born and raised in the south. But moved away and now live in New York. But I ain't no traitor..I left my heart on the Bayou.

    I have been greatly inspired by the Confederacy and their attempts during the Civil War. Now, one can easily argue the slavery issue..and though I am 100% against slavery, I think the values of the South were much deeper than deliberate racism.

    The South really had a cause worth fighting for- their way of life. I would have taken up to the Rebel flag any day to preserve my way of life.

    The South was definitely more passion driven, was the underdog, and hands down had more soul.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  9. #79
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Born and raised in the south. But moved away and now live in New York. But I ain't no traitor..I left my heart on the Bayou.

    I have been greatly inspired by the Confederacy and their attempts during the Civil War. Now, one can easily argue the slavery issue..and though I am 100% against slavery, I think the values of the South were much deeper than deliberate racism.

    The South really had a cause worth fighting for- their way of life. I would have taken up to the Rebel flag any day to preserve my way of life.

    The South was definitely more passion driven, was the underdog, and hands down had more soul.
    The Lost Cause myth was just that. Hundreds of thousands of Dixie's sons had to die to guarantee the economic holdings of the planter class. Their way of life was slavery - either the chattel slavery of Africans or the debt slavery of poor whites. This was secured by the Calvinistic class structure - everyone was in their place because it was preordained by God. All the planter has to do in order to get the poor white to fight in the senseless war is convince him that the damnyankee is trying to elevate the slave over him - which in that culture, is tantamount to Satan's work, disrupting the divine, preordained order.

    The myth was solidified when the North colonized the South after the war. The former planters, now in cahoots with the carpetbaggers, convinced the poor white that his enemy was not the planter who got him into the pointless, brutal war in the first place, not the banker who owns his property, even after having worked on it his entire life, nor was it the Yankee who shot at him for the last four years. No, it was the freedman, his fellow laborer, that was the true threat. Given that this reinforced the poor white's previous place in society, the subsequent century of shame easily arose.

  10. #80
    Senior Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Well, as a liberal Yankee, you don't understand what its like to live in a region that is constantly stereotyped the way the South is. So I felt an obligation since it looked like this was where the conversation was going.
    Never said I was a Yankee... I'm a Marylander. We're a state that's always lumped in as the "other" region. Yankees point out that we're below the Mason Dixon line, and Southerners claim their region starts with Virginia. No one wants us. It's led to a state-wide identity crisis.

Similar Threads

  1. Mafia Deceased Tribute Thread
    By Xann in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 11-06-2017, 05:18 AM
  2. Introductory threads encouraged!
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
  3. Geoff makes obligatory welcome thread
    By Geoff in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. The Hundredth Thread
    By Rajah in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO