First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    slavery? jim crow? bible belt? south of the border?

thx for some of the food and music, but keep the rednecks for yourselves
    ...said the sensitive man with "Krautland" in his location.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    This is why I don't like living in the South. Everyone wants to shoot you or kick your ass for the slightest thing. Kids with BB guns even like to split the difference and shoot your ass.

Believe me, I hate it here, and I would love to go North. I just don't have any way to get there yet, and kicking my ass will just land me in one of your hospitals and extend my stay. So please DON'T kick my ass if you want me to go.

Luckily, I live in Dallas... and this city is somehow miraculously insulated from much of Southern culture, to the point of having partial public transportation and skyscrapers. Southern accents aren't even ubiquitous here. That's probably why I haven't had my ass kicked yet.
    No one wants to kick your ass. And no one wants to be surrounded by ignorant hillbillies (which you will find ANYWHERE in the continental US... my Northern and Canadian friends have given me several examples that would make your hair curl). And I have read countless accounts of Northerners holding onto their slaves during the War. Please don't take a tone about that. Slavery was a hideous institution that needed to be abolished, but it was everywhere in the States. That was a political war. You're a very educated person, and I'm a little surprised at what you would call an "Fe outburst" on this subject.

Let me be clear: every place has it's past and you will find NO place to be without problems. South Africa and apartheid. Canada deporting the Acadians (our folks down in the bayous of Louisiana). Most of Central Europe's attitude toward the Romani/Gypsies. India's brutally crushing caste system. Hutus and Tutsis slaughtering each other. England's "first night" amidst the Scottish. The Irish supporting the Nazis.

HITLER.

You can't hold anyone's feet over the fire without getting burned. It bothers me that we can't have a thread about the nice things about the South without someone dragging up old matters. I refuse to feel guilty about what I am.
    Last edited by Domino; 11-30-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

^

You tell 'em sister!
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

The French are having eruptive neighborhood race wars over African immigrants.

The Swiss have just passed a ban on Muslim minarets.

The Mexicans openly shun the immigrants flooding them from lower Central American countries.

The Amerasians were considered revolting and made to be beggars and street-people because not only did their home country not want them, neither did America, until recently.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

And I love grits.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    No one wants to kick your ass. And no one wants to be surrounded by ignorant hillbillies (which you will find ANYWHERE in the continental US... my Northern and Canadian friends have given me several examples that would make your hair curl). And I have read countless accounts of Northerners holding onto their slaves during the War. Please don't take a tone about that. Slavery was a hideous institution that needed to be abolished, but it was everywhere in the States. That was a political war. You're a very educated person, and I'm a little surprised at what you would call an "Fe outburst" on this subject.

Let me be clear: every place has it's past and you will find NO place to be without problems. South Africa and apartheid. Canada deporting the Arcadians (our folks down in the bayous of Louisiana). Most of Central Europe's attitude toward the Romani/Gypsies. India's brutally crushing caste system. Hutus and Tutsis slaughtering each other. England's "first night" amidst the Scottish. The Irish supporting the Nazis.

HITLER.

You can't hold anyone's feet over the fire without getting burned. It bothers me that we can't have a thread about the nice things about the South without someone dragging up old matters. I refuse to feel guilty about what I am.
    You misunderstand. I don't really care about slavery, honestly. I personally don't even think the North should have pressed the issue since I think the Civil War created more problems than it solved. I think it needed to end, but I don't think it needed to end the way it did (with almost a million people dying or wounded).

The thing I dislike about the South... is mostly the countryside, the gun carrying, the violent nature, and the occasional fanaticism that crops up in Southern communities.

Granted, it's not as bad in the cities, especially if they have skyscrapers and airports.

I think my thanksgiving trip might be the source of most of my frustration... I'll vent about that later.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

The thing I dislike about the South... is mostly the countryside, the gun carrying, the violent nature, and the occasional fanaticism that crops up in Southern communities.

LOL. Stereotypes.

There isn't a state in the Union without all of those. The only reason it's ingrained in U.S. culture is because the South lost the Civil War.

And idiots of every stripe love to make fun of someone.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

You misunderstand. I don't really care about slavery, honestly. I personally don't even think the North should have pressed the issue since I think the Civil War created more problems than it solved. I think it needed to end, but I don't think it needed to end the way it did.

Granted, it's not as bad in the cities, especially if they have skyscrapers and airports.
    I can't say I enjoy that much either. I'm a mostly urban-raised girl myself and could never see myself being happy with just family-country-work to make me happy. I need the stimulation of global community and the ability to evolve. Not everyone places an emphasis on evolution and resisting it seems not only futile but intolerably stupid.

Fanaticism is a huge turn-off, and you're right to instinctively shy away from it. I was reading an article in Natl Geo. about the education of repressed women in the Middle East because as humans they deserve an education but also because education drastically reduced fanatical obsessions held by just about any poor disenfranchised group in the world. I suppose money and education don't explain Osama bin Laden, but that's another matter entirely.

Just out of curiosity, if you could go anywhere, where *would* you go? What's your idea of Zen?

If someone is happy in the country, being with family, living what many might consider a simple life, I'm glad they're found their center. It's not my center. What I liked best about my ENTP was that he was Southern gentility and was grounded in tradition while evolving and branching out, even into things that many around him considered scary or off-limits.

I liked being able to tear around in my truck in my shorts and boots, listening to Skynyrd, and riding my horse. I liked rodeos. I liked being amidst people who knew how to really abide. I also liked being able to wear studs and punk make-up and pink hair with my shorts and boots while listening to Skynyrd. And you'd be surprised who many country boys were REALLY turned on by it.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I can't say I enjoy that much either. I'm a mostly urban-raised girl myself and could never see myself being happy with just family-country-work to make me happy. I need the stimulation of global community and the ability to evolve. Not everyone places an emphasis on evolution and resisting it seems not only futile but intolerably stupid.

Fanaticism is a huge turn-off, and you're right to instinctively shy away from it. I was reading an article in Natl Geo. about the education of repressed women in the Middle East because as humans they deserve an education but also because education drastically reduced fanatical obsessions held by just about any poor disenfranchised group in the world. I suppose money and education don't explain Osama bin Laden, but that's another matter entirely.
    Ah, yes. I agree with everything you said. I think education is important.

Just out of curiosity, if you could go anywhere, where *would* you go? What's your idea of Zen?
    Hmm... well, to be honest, I haven't BEEN anywhere else, so I'm not sure. But I can tell you what I'm looking for in a place:

1. Accessible and semi-reliable public transportation.

2. Structured society where there are clear ways of getting involved in things like groups, or initiating a process like an employment search. A place that's more formal, not someplace where you're expected to just somehow pick up on the informal ways of getting through a situation with no guidence, no consistency, and no clear expectations.

3. A place with plenty of resources, like stores, libraries, and other meeting places or forms of entertainment.

4. A place where people tend to frown on excessive assertiveness/risk-taking and respond well to patience/caution.

5. Possibly... a place where people are curious, kind, and inquisitive. At this point, we're pretty much talking about a utopia, though.

If someone is happy in the country, being with family, living what many might consider a simple life, I'm glad they're found their center. It's not my center.
    Yeah, I guess that just kind of scares me... because it seems like such a wasted life. And this is coming from a person who sits in front of their computer all day and does nothing but surf the Internet, read books, watch TV, and play video games! It sounds like an even more limited life than mine, in some ways.
    I liked being able to tear around in my truck in my shorts and boots, listening to Skynyrd, and riding my horse. I liked rodeos. I liked being amidst people who knew how to really abide. I also liked being able to wear studs and punk make-up and pink hair with my shorts and boots while listening to Skynyrd. And you'd be surprised who many country boys were REALLY turned on by it.
    Ah, I see... I guess you need to have a certain fire in you to appreciate the South. I'm sort of a grey-spirited office worker at heart, so I don't get it.

Thanks for sharing your experience, though... I can see how a passionate person would enjoy the South now.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What I love about the South is the Rebel yell, the never say die "pry it from my cold dead fingers" attitude in the face of adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post

thx for some of the food and music, but keep the rednecks for yourselves

What is a redneck to you? I see a lot of Southerners grouped as rednecks. Just curious on how you define that term.

If the world's computers and technological advances ever fail on a massive scale you'll be praying you had a "redneck" by your side. Just saying. What is considered valuable skills and trades now would go by the wayside in the wake of emergency scenarios and the script would be flipped. Food for thought.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance