Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by southern_lawyer View Post
    Faulkner, Shelby Foote, and Willie Morris (heard of him?).

As to food, what's your favorite hot sauce? I put Texas Pete at the top, but I like Louisiana and Krystal. And pepper sauce on turnip greens....mmmmmm.
    Louisiana is my favorite, I think. That's what I've got in the cupboard.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Catfish and grits.

A boner inducing meal if ever there was one.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Ah, the American South. What can I say? You guys have strong taste buds. You make lots of cream-based sauces and gravys with buscuits and grits, and lots of other beige-colored stuff. It has no flavor. It's like eating water sludge sprinkled with blandspice.

As for your non-beige foods, they're almost always drowned in fat. It's like eating a crisco caserole made with lard, butter chunks, and globules of chicken fat subtly flavored with blandspice and served with a double thick oil sauce.
    Wait a minute, you're from Maryland! Aside from the crabcakes, we have chicken boxes and pit beef stands, sour beef and snowballs! Yeah, it's all delicious and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it doesn't seem like solid footing to take shots at the (equally delicious) biscuits, grits, and other mouth-watering beige foods. You don't exactly have avocados and tofu as your regional cuisine...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Wait a minute, you're from Maryland! Aside from the crabcakes, we have chicken boxes and pit beef stands, sour beef and snowballs! Yeah, it's all delicious and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it doesn't seem like solid footing to take shots at the (equally delicious) biscuits, grits, and other mouth-watering beige foods. You don't exactly have avocados and tofu as your regional cuisine...
    Ah, touche!

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Alice Walker is one of my favorites too.

I also like Tennessee Williams, Harper Lee, and Zorah Neale Hurston.

I haven't really read much John Grisham, though. Wasn't the movie Serpent and the Rainbow made out of one of his books, or am I mistaken?
    I love Grisham: A Time To Kill, The Pelican Brief, The Firm, The Runaway Jury, etc..Not sure about Serpent and the Rainbow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    Tell the truth.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    Compton has great BBQ. the classic place in Compton is Nate's. it's delicious. it's an institution, it's been there forever. it's on Compton Blvd and Wilmington.
    Bludso's is awesome too, it's on Long Beach and Alondra.

Nate's does amazing pork ribs, best in LA.
    Bludso's does great spare ribs too, and amazing brisket sandwiches and pulled pork sandwiches.
    mmm yeah i gotta try those places. i ended up going to huston's for lunch earlier this week n got the pork ribs and chicken. it was pretty good, but yeah those places u mentioned are supposed to be like really good. gotta check it out.

i really wanna try the pulled pork sandwiches. I never said "pulled pork" out loud before. muahaha

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I love Grisham: A Time To Kill, The Pelican Brief, The Firm, The Runaway Jury, etc..Not sure about Serpent and the Rainbow though.
    Apparently the Serpent and the Rainbow is Wade Davis. I don't know why I thought it was Johnathan Grisham! Ha ha.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Apparently the Serpent and the Rainbow is Wade Davis. I don't know why I thought it was Johnathan Grisham! Ha ha.
    That's hilarious! Yea, no Haitian zombies for Grisham.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INTP

Who has some favorite Southern authors/writers to share?
    I don't usually care about the biography of authors, so there are probably many I don't know about; wasn't Robert Jordan a Southerner? I used to like Laurell K. Hamilton, though I hear she mostly just writes erotic horror nowadays.

I loved The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys by Chris Fuhrman (who sadly died shortly after completing the book); I would recommend that novel to anyone interested in the city of Savannah or coming-of-age stories in general.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I should also mention again that I love Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald, but in a different context, because she was also a writer.