User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is my experience as well. To me the South is women who call you sweetie and baby and ask you to join their family for dinner. The South is being able to get sweet tea in a restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, it's pulled-pork barbeque sandwiches topped with slaw, black strap molasses on soft fresh biscuits, eggs with red tomatoes, homemade fried green tomatoes, catfish, greens with fatback and vinegar, and Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon. The South is men who will help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road without expecting payment. The South is lush oak trees whispering in the wind, torrential rains during hurricane season, clean beaches, winding country roads lined with crops and livestock, children playing free in the field, and being able to walk barefoot weather permitting. The South is beautiful old houses with huge front porches and creaky front porch swings. The South pulsates with history, with ghosts, with spirit, with life. Our history is not an entirely pleasant history, but what region of the world can boast of centuries of perfect peace? None that I am aware of. The South is overcoming adversity and appreciating differences. The South has its very own flavor and character which is shaped by people of several different ethnic backgrounds, no matter how much outsiders don't want to believe it. The South is home to me, like a warm green womb. I'm relieved and thankful that there is still somewhere in this country where you can just relax, be yourself, take your shoes off, and have another helping of sweet potato pie.
    Absolutely. I don't think I'd ever truly be at home any place other than the South. My Master's degree is in Southern Culture studies. I remain absolutely in love with, and fascinated by, my home region.
    Something Witty

Oberon

'lulah, do you ever listen to Southern Culture on the Skids?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    You're not the only "other".

You can join the club with Missouri and Kansas.
    Don't lump Missouri and Kansas together, please.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Absolutely. I don't think I'd ever truly be at home any place other than the South. My Master's degree is in Southern Culture studies. I remain absolutely in love with, and fascinated by, my home region.
    I actually considered doing post-graduate work with Appalachian Studies.

I still haven't decided.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Southerners: "We don't hide our crazy relatives, we put them in the front parlor on Sunday afternoon's and show them off."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    'lulah, do you ever listen to Southern Culture on the Skids?
    I haven't, but I've always loved the name! What style of music is it? It sounds like Southern Rock?
    Something Witty

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I want to get a degree in Southern Culture myself and go into historical record.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I haven't, but I've always loved the name! What style of music is it? It sounds like Southern Rock?
    It's boozy alt-country rockabilly fusion. A great band. Highly recommended, esp the song "Mojo Box".
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    It's boozy alt-country rockabilly fusion. A great band. Highly recommended, esp the song "Mojo Box".
    Some years ago you could occasionally catch "Camel Walk" on the rock stations... a song with one of the best retro riffs in the business.

My kids love it for the nonsensical lyrics combining vending-machine snack food and S&M imagery. Fortunately the latter goes completely over their heads.

"Hey baybuh... could you eat that snack cracker in your... special outfit for me?"
    Last edited by Oberon; 12-04-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Oberon

One of their albums is titled "Dirt Track Date." That kind of captures the whole flavor of the band right there.