User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is my experience as well. To me the South is women who call you sweetie and baby and ask you to join their family for dinner. The South is being able to get sweet tea in a restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, it's pulled-pork barbeque sandwiches topped with slaw, black strap molasses on soft fresh biscuits, eggs with red tomatoes, homemade fried green tomatoes, catfish, greens with fatback and vinegar, and Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon. The South is men who will help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road without expecting payment. The South is lush oak trees whispering in the wind, torrential rains during hurricane season, clean beaches, winding country roads lined with crops and livestock, children playing free in the field, and being able to walk barefoot weather permitting. The South is beautiful old houses with huge front porches and creaky front porch swings. The South pulsates with history, with ghosts, with spirit, with life. Our history is not an entirely pleasant history, but what region of the world can boast of centuries of perfect peace? None that I am aware of. The South is overcoming adversity and appreciating differences. The South has its very own flavor and character which is shaped by people of several different ethnic backgrounds, no matter how much outsiders don't want to believe it. The South is home to me, like a warm green womb. I'm relieved and thankful that there is still somewhere in this country where you can just relax, be yourself, take your shoes off, and have another helping of sweet potato pie.
    Can't argue with any of that. Well put.

MBTI
    enfp

ok. so i tried to get some southern texas bbq here, but the place was closed yesterday. lolz

supposedly the best texas bbq here is in Compton. haha

so pulled pork sandwiches is supposed to be good. what kinda ribs should I be looking for? pork? babyback? chicken bbq?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, then...

You've just convinced me that I need to get away from this place. Gun-carrying madmen are all over the place in this state.

I'm just glad I don't go outside often. I'm sure I would have been shot.

I don't want to live in some violent cesspool where people have to rely on weapons.

I wish guns had never been invented. Worst weapons ever.
    Athenian, I have two questions for you.

1. Have you ever watched 'Monk'? and
    2. If you did, did it give you an eerie feeling of deja vu?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Marmalade, I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

Being Southern, for me, is in my bones. There's no way to separate me from it. It's bred into you, like DNA. I have 350 + years down South. I have kin buried everywhere in NC/SC.

I wrote this one summer night during a writing exercise about what it means to me to be who I am, to be Southern, to be deeply grounded here.

A cool wind, more cooling than rain, narcotic with gardenia and pine, blew across the lake every night at this hour when the dying sun was caught in the arms of the trees, and the pitch of the tree frogs overarched the agitated buzz of the crickets that had dominated daylight.

The whole earth had passed out of a fever, and rested now in the elysian blue calm of evening, rocked to sleep by the faithful breeze. Darkness descended here without dread, without fear - isolation was an impossibility as the numinous dusk drew its lost legion upward from every hollow and yard, called out to them softly until the air hung heavy and hoarse in the throat of the present now, reflected dimly in the closing eyes of the past.

We were never alone in this place. We were one in skin and sky, once more, once more again, til sunrise.

Time was stripped away, baring all...
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

ByMySword

^Yeah, I agree. You wrote some great things there Marmalade.

I have ancestors who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto on my father's side. The rest of my family came from Alabama, Mississippi, and Oklahoma.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Marmalade, I couldn't agree more with what you wrote.

Being Southern, for me, is in my bones. There's no way to separate me from it. It's bred into you, like DNA. I have 350 + years down South. I have kin buried everywhere in NC/SC.

I wrote this one summer night during a writing exercise about what it means to me to be who I am, to be Southern, to be deeply grounded here.
    That passage is beautiful, Pink!

I, too, have relatives in the South going back further than I can count in Eastern North Carolina and Southern West Virginia...on one side I also have Native American blood, so I feel that plays a part in my attachment to the land as well.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    ok. so i tried to get some southern texas bbq here, but the place was closed yesterday. lolz

supposedly the best texas bbq here is in Compton. haha

so pulled pork sandwiches is supposed to be good. what kinda ribs should I be looking for? pork? babyback? chicken bbq?
    Compton has great BBQ. the classic place in Compton is Nate's. it's delicious. it's an institution, it's been there forever. it's on Compton Blvd and Wilmington.
    Bludso's is awesome too, it's on Long Beach and Alondra.

Nate's does amazing pork ribs, best in LA.
    Bludso's does great spare ribs too, and amazing brisket sandwiches and pulled pork sandwiches.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is my experience as well. To me the South is women who call you sweetie and baby and ask you to join their family for dinner. The South is being able to get sweet tea in a restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, it's pulled-pork barbeque sandwiches topped with slaw, black strap molasses on soft fresh biscuits, eggs with red tomatoes, homemade fried green tomatoes, catfish, greens with fatback and vinegar, and Sunday dinner in the middle of the afternoon. The South is men who will help you fix a flat tire on the side of the road without expecting payment. The South is lush oak trees whispering in the wind, torrential rains during hurricane season, clean beaches, winding country roads lined with crops and livestock, children playing free in the field, and being able to walk barefoot weather permitting. The South is beautiful old houses with huge front porches and creaky front porch swings. The South pulsates with history, with ghosts, with spirit, with life. Our history is not an entirely pleasant history, but what region of the world can boast of centuries of perfect peace? None that I am aware of. The South is overcoming adversity and appreciating differences. The South has its very own flavor and character which is shaped by people of several different ethnic backgrounds, no matter how much outsiders don't want to believe it. The South is home to me, like a warm green womb. I'm relieved and thankful that there is still somewhere in this country where you can just relax, be yourself, take your shoes off, and have another helping of sweet potato pie.
    That was beautiful.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    1. Have you ever watched 'Monk'?
    Yes.
    2. If you did, did it give you an eerie feeling of deja vu?
    Not really. I'm afraid of people and dogs, not things or germs.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Remember that time BMS started the best thread ever created?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge