User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Badland

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Culture is the state of play it does not develop. A person develops within a culture but it's the person that makes the culture not vice versa.

When you leave your culture you propagate it's best features as they transmit to others and survive outside of where they are cosseted. Those facets of the culture which are just kept for show or tradition most often die off... It's natural selection.
    A culture is a living thing.

It is culture that makes you a Roman, a Japanese or an Englishman.

I can remember a Japanese friend telling me he wanted to join the international culture, but he couldn't find one. And indeed there is no such thing as a multiculture - there are only cultures that are growing and changing all the time.

And the magic is that when you are living within your own culture, you change with it.

And culture is magical because it is out of our individual control. Our culture works its magic on us, our culture entrances us, and makes us who we are. We don't choose our culture - our culture chooses us.

And you, dear Xander, have been chosen to be an Englishman and I have been chosen to be an Aussie.

So we can't choose what we are but we can choose what kind of relationship we will have.

The relationship between an Englishman and an Aussie is already rich and deep and emotional. So where will we take it next?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A culture is a living thing.

It is culture that makes you a Roman, a Japanese or an Englishman.

I can remember a Japanese friend telling me he wanted to join the international culture, but he couldn't find one. And indeed there is no such thing as a multiculture - there are only cultures that are growing and changing all the time.

And the magic is that when you are living within your own culture, you change with it.

And culture is magical because it is out of our individual control. Our culture works its magic on us, our culture entrances us, and makes us who we are. We don't choose our culture - our culture chooses us.

And you, dear Xander, have been chosen to be an Englishman and I have been chosen to be an Aussie.

So we can't choose what we are but we can choose what kind of relationship we will have.

The relationship between an Englishman and an Aussie is already rich and deep and emotional. So where will we take it next?
    I'm no englishman! I was born here. You can't hold that against me!!

No fair!!!

Bloomin larger swilling ex-con!

Oh and language is living but it does not survive without a host. The life is parasitic and paradoxical.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    The Boston Tea party is so 1773.
    Exactly.

Americans wouldn't have been so angry about the tea tax if they didn't drink tea. There's no tea tax anymore, though. America buys its tea from the lowest seller now, not Britain. Now it's affordable to nearly everyone. Why not drink as much as you like and enjoy every cup? That's the American way, isn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Americans wouldn't have been so angry about the tea tax if they didn't drink tea. There's no tea tax anymore, though. America buys its tea from the lowest seller now, not Britain. Now it's affordable to nearly everyone. Why not drink as much as you like and enjoy every cup? That's the American way, isn't it?
    That's what I would have thought, anyway. Why is that so hard to figure out? It was about BRITAIN and TAXES, why are they blaming the TEA? Even the colonists who were involved in it would likely roll their eyes at these people.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

i didn't 'read' this thread, but it seems to me that victor is wildcat and wildcat is victor. am i right? Of course I am right when I say that you are the same persons.

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    i didn't 'read' this thread, but it seems to me that victor is wildcat and wildcat is victor. am i right? Of course I am right when I say that you are the same persons.
    Of course you are right, dear Bcvcdc, there is a tunnel between Canberra and Finland. And one moment I speak to you from Finland. And then I nip through the tunnel and speak to you from Canberra.

Of course it was my style that gave me away. I have tried to make them different. But it is very hard to disguise one's personal style.

So yes, Wildcat and Victor are one and the same person.

And we hope that you realise you are getting two for the price of one. And that you will love us twice as much.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Quite right.

There is a famous Estonian-Finnish writer. She lives in Finland.
    She said the Finns are drunks and they beat their wives.

She said the truth in a television broadcast in Denmark.
    Then I shall speak the truth, saying men are rapists, teenagers hoodlums, children ungrateful,women conniving bitches, whites megalomaniacal, Middle-Easterners terrorists, Indians tech-support operators, Colombians drug lords.

I'm only speaking the truth.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Can a citizen of the world be a patriot?

No. Why? Because to belong to somewhere you equally cannot belong to somewhere different.

Do you love your country? In King Lear, Cordelia proclaims she loves her father "like salt". He was not impressed, although he should have been.

If you love your country more than salt you are a patriot. And a crook.

Back in Scotland, years ago, I went through a period of drinking white wine spritzers. I had some funny looks from the bar staff. They told me it was a woman's drink. There was a gang of builders in the corner. I told them my story and bought them all white wine spritzers.

I told the barman - look, only builders drink spritzers these days. Never sell your wine to women, now. The tradition has changed. The seal is broken...

Lear was an old fool. Salt is good. So is wine.
    Jesus knew about the benefit of salt and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sure, to be born Australian is to win the lottery.

Should I give the prize back? I've been spending it all my life. And there is still a bit to spend.

I look at all the little winners in the maternity ward and think how lucky we are.

For we live in the lucky country.
    +1
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.