User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Badland

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Sure, to be born Australian is to win the lottery.

Should I give the prize back? I've been spending it all my life. And there is still a bit to spend.

I look at all the little winners in the maternity ward and think how lucky we are.

For we live in the lucky country.
    Congrats. I say keep the dough.
    On condition you do not forget to go to the flower shop behind the corner.
    Buy your mum this time some cornies for the week end.
    Later you can drop in the candy store. Get yourself something special.
    I hear Cadbury is good. Remember to brush your teeth.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I do not understand the point of this thread.

What's this really about, Wildcat?
    The question is: Is it all right to speak about the less favourable things in your country? Many people think it is an unpatriotic thing to do so.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Very true. It's so ironic that the people who claim to be defenders of democracy are the first to accuse people who suggest radical ideas of being unpatriotic. They only understand maintaining the structure that created democracy, what they grew up considering to be democracy. They don't really understand the spirit of democracy.

I've been seriously called unpatriotic for drinking hot tea before, because of the Boston Tea Party thing.

It's funny how they preserve all the WRONG things, and throw away the good ideas.
    Some time ago I went to a pub.
    I ordered a glass of wine.
    Soon a man approached my table. He said:
    It is not customary to drink wine here.

His allusion was that I am either unpatriotic or a foreigner.
    A degenerate person all around.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

The Boston Tea party is so 1773.

Anyway, the American thing to do is to question your government. It's unpatriotic and foolish not to. Blind faith is and will always be dangerous.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    The Boston Tea party is so 1773.

Anyway, the American thing to do is to question your government. It's unpatriotic and foolish not to. Blind faith is and will always be dangerous.
    Quite right.

There is a famous Estonian-Finnish writer. She lives in Finland.
    She said the Finns are drunks and they beat their wives.

She said the truth in a television broadcast in Denmark.
    The Finnish people are angry. They say she is unpatriotic.

What you can say at home you cannot say abroad?
    Globalisation is a myth?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't consider considering bad things about the world unpatriotic. I call it having an educated mind.

That is unless you just bitch about it. I'm all for serious critique.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I know.
    I try to understand.

What is a country?

You were born within its borders. You did not choose to be born within its borders.
    What do we mean when we say we are Australians, Danes, Americans, Paraguayans?

Roman Catholics, Greek Catholics, Lutheran Laestadians, Calvinists, Unitarians, Mormons?

If we are born Roman Catholics, we believe in a Roman Catholic dogma.
    If we are born Lutheran Laestadians, we believe only Lutheran Laestadians go to heaven.

If you are born colour blind, you do not see colours. Does it mean there are no colours?

Someone asked in the paper: Why violet is not in the rainbow between red and blue?
    It is between red and blue.

If it is between red and blue why it is not between red and blue then?
    Maybe it has something to do with the horizon.
    The place of the horizon is determined by the subject.
    Actually the horizon is not there. But the rainbow is.

In the Middle Ages the sailors were afraid of the horizon.
    Do not veer your ship close to the horizon!
    You cannot.
    Because it is not there.

We are wiser now, eh?
    Not much wiser.

The country is not there either.
    Can a citizen of the world be a patriot?

No. Why? Because to belong to somewhere you equally cannot belong to somewhere different.

Do you love your country? In King Lear, Cordelia proclaims she loves her father "like salt". He was not impressed, although he should have been.

If you love your country more than salt you are a patriot. And a crook.

Back in Scotland, years ago, I went through a period of drinking white wine spritzers. I had some funny looks from the bar staff. They told me it was a woman's drink. There was a gang of builders in the corner. I told them my story and bought them all white wine spritzers.

I told the barman - look, only builders drink spritzers these days. Never sell your wine to women, now. The tradition has changed. The seal is broken...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

To defend your country is to defend yourself when you fail to separate yourself from your country well enough. To be a person is to know how to breathe but to be part of a country... that's power.

Of course all power is illusionary though.

It is nigh on ridiculous though that people get so picky about lines in the sand drawn before they were born. I can understand the island and continent mentality to some degree but when the borders literally are lines on a map it's daft.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

The Romans preferred death to exile. For in exile you are cut off from the roots of your own culture. And it is only in its native land does a culture grow and develop. And a culture keeps growing and developing, and if you leave, you are left behind. So exile is not just a kind of death, it is worse than death.

Here we have the policy of multiculturalism. We tell the lie that every culture can flourish here. But the truth is that multiculturalism is just to soothe the dying pillow.

And when exiles try to maintain their own culture, they become parodies of themselves - another fate worse than death.

So, with the best intentions in the world, we lie to our migrants - for the truth is too much to bear.

Only the Romans could bear the truth.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The Romans preferred death to exile. For in exile you are cut off from the roots of your own culture. And it is only in its native land does a culture grow and develop. And a culture keeps growing and developing, and if you leave, you are left behind. So exile is not just a kind of death, it is worse than death.

Here we have the policy of multiculturalism. We tell the lie that every culture can flourish here. But the truth is that multiculturalism is just to soothe the dying pillow.

And when exiles try to maintain their own culture, they become parodies of themselves - another fate worse than death.

So, with the best intentions in the world, we lie to our migrants - for the truth is too much to bear.

Only the Romans could bear the truth.
    Culture is the state of play it does not develop. A person develops within a culture but it's the person that makes the culture not vice versa.

When you leave your culture you propagate it's best features as they transmit to others and survive outside of where they are cosseted. Those facets of the culture which are just kept for show or tradition most often die off... It's natural selection.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?