Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Thats just ridiculous, yeah sure it probably calms them down and makes them appears alleviated of the symptoms of ADHD but like the guy said all its doing is enhancing those same problems that cause ADHD.

However I do believe, like most people, that marijuana should be legalized. Its a thousand times safer than tobacco, alcohol or caffeine, and I use one if not all of those substances on a daily basis. But then i guess it'd take all of the fun out of it now wouldn't it.
    SDMF

MBTI
    SEXY

Yeah, doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do to me. It could be useful in situations where the ADHD person realises he needs to calm down and doesn't have to be particularly concentrated (official ceremonies etc.) but prescribing it medically might create the idea that it is some sort of 'solution' to ADHD, which it probably isn't.
    (removed)

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

ADHD is only a "problem" for *other* people. That's like giving them a sedative so their parents can have peace and quiet I.e. They can't except them for who they are.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    ADHD is only a "problem" for *other* people. That's like giving them a sedative so their parents can have peace and quiet I.e. They can't except them for who they are.
    Word. My folks told me to go outside and take it out on the yard. They knew I was batshit ADHD, and knew that if I went out and pysically exhausted myself, it would be good for me and them too. I've lifted for 20 years to keep that same mental effect, and it has helped alot, but I still use ritalin, but was only prescribed it 4 years ago as an adult. I've had three different doctors of different specializations tell me I was the ADHD poster child and asked me if I wanted meds (when I was younger) and I declined. At age 31 with 2 kids, a wife, and 2 jobs I had to break through my mind's inefficiencies and the meds really helped in that department alot. Now I procrastinate much less and get alot done, but if you knew how much I used to procrastinate due to "task hopping" and general lack of focus, you would freak out.

But you know what? I don't consider ADHD a disorder. I am creative, happy, energetic, positive, and none of those traits seem negative to me. So what if I'm a little scatter brained and eccentric. If you give me 1 thing to do you're wasting my time. If you give me 5-8 things to do over a 2 day period, then they will all be done perfectly and still have a few hours to spare goofing off on the Internet.

Our minds (those of us with ADHD) get bored easily when mired down in detail for too long. If we jump tasks, we are refreshed and productive again, and I don't seem to suffer from having to get sitauted back into an assignemnt I got sick of 2 hours ago, it just comes naturally, I keep alot in my cache, I just can't actively work on stuff for too long without getting bored out of my mind.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

marijuana works with adhd. meny kids with adhd selfmedicate themselfs with cannabis and it seems to work(personally i know two who used to do this). naturally they dont know that theyr selfmedicating, they just smoke it because it calms them down. but i think that amfetamines work better for them. problem with giving cannabis to adhd kids is that they might smoke it just for fun(smoking it too much) and then theyr just stoned as fuck and they should go to school etc.

i dont know if it was because of cannabis, but those two guys with adhd i knew who smoked cannabis calmed down for good after smoking for few years. and i dont mean that they turned to slow zombies, it just seems that theyr brains started working bit more normally. however im not sure if it was mostly because they just matured.

i think that they should be given amfetamines(like now) unless it has some unwanted side effects for them and they know that cannabis works better for them and the parents make sure that they wont smoke it too much, atleast when theyr at school. allso i think that cannabis for adhd should have some age limit(like 16 or so) unless it works with adhd when eaten in so small amounts that doesent get them stoned.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I think people should be given the choice as to what they medicate with.

In the case of cannabis vs. Ritalin/Adderall, I for one would not allow my child to be given Marinol (liquid gel THC for cancer/AIDS patients historically, for purposes of appetite stimulation and relief of nausea) or let them smoke weed. A child's brain is maturing and making a vast amount of neural connections each and every day, through the late teenage years.

Psychotropic drugs, recreational or "medically necessary" have no place in a developing brain unless absolutely necessary to relieve symptoms of things like depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD that are SO BAD that they limit the ability of the affected person from leading a full, complete meaningful life.

My parents dealt with me, they re-directed me, they sent me outside, and they told my school teachers and administrators to do their jobs whenever they got a phone call. I was never forced to go on Ritalin. In my case the symptoms persisted well into adulthood, and I eventually chose to medicate myself. It has worked wonders for me. I can sit still better than ever before. I can finish tasks that would have taken 3-4 cycles of activity to complete before in one sitting. And, I dare say it has also enabled me to exhibit a larger amount of imulse control that I had historically.

I'll be on it until I finish my Master's degree, and then I am taking a hiatus for a few years to see where my brain's natural set point is at that time, and what I am able to do it. I don't like to be on anything for more then 5 years, even if I don't take it everyday.

My favorite days of the week? Saturday and Sunday, guaranteed. Why? Not the weekend. Because I have zero need for meds on those days guaranteed because I am at home. I can wake up, be my zany self, fly around my house for 4 hours and clean it wall to wall, floor to ceiling, cook a bunch of food, wash/dry/fold laundry, surf the web, bake some cookies and then sit on my ass watching TV while I do a few sets of 12 oz. curls.

Boy, ADHD is terrible. :rolli: You have to learn how to use it, or it has the capacity to make you a very inefficient person. But how you choose to manage it, should be your choice, not your doctors, IMHO.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFJ

Now instead of selling ritalin to their friends, ADHD kids will sell pot?

Interesting.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Better they be getting medical marijuana rather than buying it from a regular dealer to self-medicate. Much less shady, and it doesn't open up access to other harder drugs.

Weed will eventually be legal anyways.

MBTI
    YaYa

I had a buddy in college that was totally ADHD. Smart little shit. Graduated from highschool 3 years early. He seemed to really learn and study better when stoned all the time.

Speed vs. Pot. These are just labels of propaganda. There are probably some benefits to be gained by pot. But the minute the FDA starts examining potential benefits, it legitimizes the plant.

Like Halla said though, I think it is easier to give a kid a pill rather than actually deal with him/her or figure out an alternative method for their learning style.