User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Food colorings and additives cause hyperactivity in many children, and adults, as well.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Now we're just going to have kids faking ADHD so they can get pot.
    Or parents pretending their kids have ADHD for the weed. How sad is that..that people need to make their own kids lie..that they would use their kids like that. But there are a lot of people out there like this.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Or parents pretending their kids have ADHD for the weed. How sad is that..that people need to make their own kids lie..that they would use their kids like that. But there are a lot of people out there like this.
    I've got a solution: legalize marijuana for restricted sale to adults like alcohol.

Yes, I went there. Someone had to.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I've got a solution: legalize marijuana for restricted sale to adults like alcohol.

Yes, I went there. Someone had to.
    Good point. But I think what the discussion should really be about is why they would resort to treating ADHD with such a drug as marijuana. If anything, it'll freak the kids out.

Fucking lazy doctors. Fucking lazy parents. They don't give a shit about the kids, it's all about making their lives easy and convenient...the easy way out. That's the problem with Americans these days.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Good point. But I think what the discussion should really be about is why they would resort to treating ADHD with such a drug as marijuana. If anything, it'll freak the kids out.

Fucking lazy doctors. Fucking lazy parents. They don't give a shit about the kids, it's all about making their lives easy and convenient...the easy way out. That's the problem with Americans these days.
    I'm going to repeat again that kids with true ADHD aren't just a little bit of a handful that a "good" parent should be able to handle - they're like holy fucking terrors. They're special needs children. It MUST be dealt with, because these children affect not only themselves and their parents, but other children as well.

I think it's also less that parents are "lazy" and more that less and less kids have a stay-at-home parent these days. People have to work so much just to maintain their standard of living. Of course we could argue that people could lower their standard of living to so one parent could be at home with the kids, but that's an entirely different topic.

I don't see why medical marijuana is such a stretch. Many ADHD teens and adults already self-medicate with marijuana, and at least this way it would be in clean, controlled amounts. The idea of giving kids amphetimines, as I've mentioned earlier, also doesn't sit well with me. Marijuana is more natural.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I'm going to repeat again that kids with true ADHD aren't just a little bit of a handful that a "good" parent should be able to handle - they're like holy fucking terrors.
    But if we're going to diagnose children with mental illness on the basis of whether or not a "good" parent can reasonably manage them, don't we need to first come up with a universal definition of "good parent"? And further, how do we verify "good parenting" once we come up with a working definition?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm going to repeat again that kids with true ADHD aren't just a little bit of a handful that a "good" parent should be able to handle - they're like holy fucking terrors. They're special needs children. It MUST be dealt with, because these children affect not only themselves and their parents, but other children as well.

I think it's also less that parents are "lazy" and more that less and less kids have a stay-at-home parent these days. People have to work so much just to maintain their standard of living. Of course we could argue that people could lower their standard of living to so one parent could be at home with the kids, but that's an entirely different topic.

I don't see why medical marijuana is such a stretch. Many ADHD teens and adults already self-medicate with marijuana, and at least this way it would be in clean, controlled amounts. The idea of giving kids amphetimines, as I've mentioned earlier, also doesn't sit well with me. Marijuana is more natural.
    Usually kids with severe ADHD also have other mental illnesses. It's rare to have a kid who is really messed up and only have ADHD.

But that is besides the point. The point is that too many doctors resort of treating these so called "ADHD" symptoms when only reading a little into the child. It's kind of like- oh he has a short attention span; he's hyper; the parents are getting tired of it- and automatically prescribe meds. SO WRONG.

Plus, kids should be first. It should be the doctors duty to get to the root of the problem first before ruling it off to medication. That's bullshit.

Have you ever smoked marijuana, marmalade?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    But if we're going to diagnose children with mental illness on the basis of whether or not a "good" parent can reasonably manage them, don't we need to first come up with a universal definition of "good parent"? And further, how do we verify "good parenting" once we come up with a working definition?
    Yeah, and this 'HOLY FUCKING TERROR' thing..wouldn't that be the fault of the parent? And it's like diagnosing ADHD in a child is almost justifiable of such behavior?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I was just referring to the idea that some people seem to be claiming that if people were "good parents" (or teachers or principals) then we could just let these kids go outside and play and everything would be fine.

My nephew is an especially energetic child. He loves to play outside and sometimes jumps around the house, dancing around, singing. He's awesome - and I consider him to be a regular boy with lots of energy. On the other hand, his friend who is diagnosed as ADHD is destructive, rude, and extremely infuriating to deal with. It's not just a little extra energy - and I feel bad that so many kids in this country who are just energetic kids have been medicated that some people think of that alone as simply being ADHD. That isn't ADHD. ADHD is a very real, disruptive disorder.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, and this 'HOLY FUCKING TERROR' thing..wouldn't that be the fault of the parent? And it's like diagnosing ADHD in a child is almost justifiable of such behavior?
    No, not necessarily, and it's extremely naiive to assume so.