User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Craziness.

From what I've seen, few people consider the real problem to be with the environment(school, home life,etc) or the adults in the environment. They want to diagnose the child, who can't really speak on his own behalf, give him a pill, and then look the other way as though the problem's been solved. Not saying this is every case, but I've seen it more than enough. The problem is almost always with the child.
    I think it is a combination of two things... let's say in any given person ADHD was simply an index of associated traits rather than their actual behavior. These traits would be determined by neuro-chemical balance and the person would either fall into the normal range or not.

I do not think that more and more people are going above the normal levels triggering "ADHD" as time goes on, but that the raw stimulation experienced by a person in the modern world has increased. This means a person who was once at the top of a healthy range displays "ADHD"

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    HATE this, the thought of a kid being doped just because they are lively... its so wrong
    I don't think we should be so hasty to think medicating children is bad. I understand we want them to appreciate their childhood fully, maybe because we didn't feel like we did? either way, take it from people who have ADHD that sometimes you have to "live" a little less to live well. i could see it happening, but i don't sense many people are trying to destroy someone's personality when they say they are too hyperactive.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    I think it is a combination of two things... let's say in any given person ADHD was simply an index of associated traits rather than their actual behavior. These traits would be determined by neuro-chemical balance and the person would either fall into the normal range or not.

I do not think that more and more people are going above the normal levels triggering "ADHD" as time goes on, but that the raw stimulation experienced by a person in the modern world has increased. This means a person who was once at the top of a healthy range displays "ADHD"
    Raw external stimulation has increased, while time spent outside in free play and exploration has drastically decreased.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Raw external stimulation has increased, while time spent outside in free play and exploration has drastically decreased.
    Agreed... these days kids are glued to their cellphones, social websites on the computer, or TV. This "teaches" a developing mind to absorb a greater amount of general information. When it is time to focus, the mind is unable to narrow the attention span.

Maybe teachers need to start formatting their tests to look like facebook?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Agreed... these days kids are glued to their cellphones, social websites on the computer, or TV. This "teaches" a developing mind to absorb a greater amount of general information. When it is time to focus, the mind is unable to narrow the attention span.
    I think the main issue is that the schools are not formatted to cater to the needs of the developing young person. They frequently require the child to go against their natural mode of learning in order to organize and assimilate, forced into and out of the system. Such is likely easiest to do for SJ type children because traditional schools are in SJ format. My guess is that SP children, being naturally kinesthetic, get diagnosed ADHD quite frequently. Intuitive children, who may seem to lack "focus", are probably more likely to be diagnosed with ADD in a traditional school setting.
    Last edited by Charmed Justice; 11-25-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: reword
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Permabanned

Concentration more or less has to do with mental conditioning. If you can't concentrate well you more or less have to spend more time doing so and thus it will become easier over time. Same with depression and anxiety the more you condition yourself and run away from your problems the worse your mental state becomes.Although there is a genetic factor it's not all that apparent as one may think. ADD is over diagnosed like depression and anxiety in north America. The American Ideals of working hard, moving forward, competence and capitalism along with pharmaceutical drug companies wanting to make a buck increase drug prescription and sales more than they need to be.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yes but amphetimines are prescribed by doctors who wear fancy white gowns, and come in respectable looking, mass produced plastic bottles.... unlike weed, which you would have to get off some smelly, anti-establishment hippy, and then roll an awkward looking blunt just so you can smoke it like some sort of a dope fiend degenerate.
    + you never know what you get when you buy weed, it can be so potent that you will melt or atleast your sperm wont work enymore and you get impotent

marijuana makes you stupider in a way that cuts it down to 1 or a few radio stations...
    i have found out that the radio signals just spreads to wider area. in mbti terms you get better access to all functions better, but the ones you normally use wont work as hard as sober. but they can work well enough to do normal thinking, but not all the time and in all situations
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Doctors like these have truly lost the true meaning to what Medicine is all about.

ADHD is a figment of the lazy scientists mind. It's something they've harnessed around natural variations in the human psyche. It's taking the easy way out- scientists half assing their jobs.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Now we're just going to have kids faking ADHD so they can get pot.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

poor kids....

Over here pre c.1975... they use to take out all the teeth of people with learning difficulties if they tried to bite anyone (so if they tried to defend thelseve against attack or abuse, the hospitals would remove all their teeth). I know it's a bit different but it's abuse of the adult child relationship not to manage a normal healthy kids behaviour rarther than supreess them chemically.

Thats not to say there are some ligitimate cases, but they seem to be way over the top citation over there
    Also, there are lots more people being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, not just ADHD. More little boys than girls are diagnosed with ADHD. More grown women than men are diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I sometimes question if there's too much of a focus in our society to conforming to a particular standard of behavior. Oh, hmmm, yes I wonder.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Jees

I was in the US in 2000 and went around the supermarket, so many product with too much colouring in them....

Diet is the source of so many issues, one wonders if there is some causation of behavioral isse from that source, or the kid is just normal and challengign their boundaries.

HATE this, the thought of a kid being doped just because they are lively... its so wrong
    Yes, some parents have also found that their child stopped having supposed "ADHD" when they simply stopped stuffing their kid with refined sugar and caffeine.