User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Without my amphetamines I would fail out of Law School.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    But you know what? I don't consider ADHD a disorder. I am creative, happy, energetic, positive, and none of those traits seem negative to me. So what if I'm a little scatter brained and eccentric. If you give me 1 thing to do you're wasting my time. If you give me 5-8 things to do over a 2 day period, then they will all be done perfectly and still have a few hours to spare goofing off on the Internet.
    With the exception of actually getting things done, I totally agree. I also have ADHD (without the H, but it's still called ADHD inattentive type) and I wouldn't trade this brain for a non-ADHD one that is less quirky and odd.

I'd still use the medication if I could, though. (Can't, because I have a history of heart arrhythmia.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Can I ask perhaps a nieve question....

Why are so many kids in the US diagnosed with ADHD? What is that about?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Too much emphasis on compliance, labeling, medicating, and institutionalizing.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I have a long term ENFP friend who was rotating between failing/acing his uni classes due to a focusing issue until he started smoking up so much that he wasn't not high for a whole term. Straight A+ grades on his transcript for his full course load that term. (He suffered a bit socially, though--he and I had the same conversation about 5 times over the course of the term because his memory was off.)
    I have done the same, and I agree that it does help. I would describe ADHD symptoms like listening to all of the radio frequencies at once, it can just drive you crazy, you cant concentrate long enough to develop interest in things and motivation is always a constant struggle. marijuana makes you stupider in a way that cuts it down to 1 or a few radio stations... you are slower to change the station or understand what you are listening to but at least your attention can rest a bit and you can think straight, so especially when i'm stressed I prefer it over nothing even though i dont find the effect itself enjoyable enough that i would bother otherwise. I have also found that it deepens your sense of emotions, which can help you remember why you want to do certain things again.

the effect of marijuana on a person is often described as turning a normal person into an unambitious, slow-witted biological dorito compactor. I won't disagree with this, but id like people to consider what life is like when you have so many thoughts that they can no longer think clearly about anything, and so active that you are constantly avoiding burn-out... perhaps you can understand how the effect is helpful for some, as much as im sure that sounds like pro-legalization idealism.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Too much emphasis on compliance, labeling, medicating, and institutionalizing.
    That suggest that there is a ton of kids pill popping who are just normally healthy bubbly kids beign supressed by a compliant obesses society?

If thats the case it's full on sad.

MBTI
    INFJ

It is full on sad.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP

poor kids....

Over here pre c.1975... they use to take out all the teeth of people with learning difficulties if they tried to bite anyone (so if they tried to defend thelseve against attack or abuse, the hospitals would remove all their teeth). I know it's a bit different but it's abuse of the adult child relationship not to manage a normal healthy kids behaviour rarther than supreess them chemically.

Thats not to say there are some ligitimate cases, but they seem to be way over the top citation over there

MBTI
    INFJ

Craziness.

From what I've seen, few people consider the real problem to be with the environment(school, home life,etc) or the adults in the environment. They want to diagnose the child, who can't really speak on his own behalf; give him a pill, and then look the other way as though the problem's been solved. Not saying this is every case, but I've seen it more than enough. The problem is almost always with the child.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Craziness.

From what I've seen, few people consider the real problem to be with the environment(school, home life,etc) or the adults in the environment. They want to diagnose the child, who can't really speak on his own behalf, give him a pill, and then look the other way as though the problem's been solved. Not saying this is every case, but I've seen it more than enough. The problem is almost always with the child.
    Jees

I was in the US in 2000 and went around the supermarket, so many product with too much colouring in them....

Diet is the source of so many issues, one wonders if there is some causation of behavioral isse from that source, or the kid is just normal and challengign their boundaries.

HATE this, the thought of a kid being doped just because they are lively... its so wrong