User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Should military enlistees & immigrants be given a polygraph to weed out fanatics

As far as I know this has not been proposed, but itís worth considering. The right questions with a lie detector could screen potential or likely terrorists.

MBTI
    INTP

From a logistics point of view, it would almost be impossible and not worth the cost and time.

Not to mention that this seems like a system prone to abuse.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

No, the polygraph has only been proven to be about 60% correct for true/false questions, only slightly better than chance. That's hardly certain enough for any practical use.

MBTI
    INTJ

The only thing lie detector does is measure how nervous a person is.

Aldrich Ames called it "a coercive aid to interrogators, lying somewhere on the scale between the rubber truncheon and the diploma on the wall behind the interrogator's desk".

For anyone who doesn't know who Aldrich Ames is - he was a CIA employee who spied for USSR for something like a decade before finally being captured.

Quote from wikipedia about Aldrich Ames: "In 1986 and again in 1991, Ames passed two polygraph screening examinations while spying for the Soviet Union and Russia, respectively. Ames himself reported that the techniques needed to defeat the polygraph are relatively easy to learn and perform.[17] Critics claim that the CIA's over-reliance on the device is harmful to national security."
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ames himself reported that the techniques needed to defeat the polygraph are relatively easy to learn and perform
    that is what i have heard too. i used to know a detective who said that it is pretty easy to learn to fool polygraphs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Yes, and then put the biggest guns in the hands of those fanatics and drop them off in the front lines!
    SDMF

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, honey, the military wants fanatics. That's the scary part.

MBTI
    INTP

[YOUTUBE="GLL3wtgBiFA"]Michael Shermer Tests the Polygraph and Lie Detection I[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="tJXMrJJMNZ4"]Michael Shermer Tests the Polygraph and Lie Detection II[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

The polygraph only measures physiological responses to questions. If the person believes what he/she is saying, regardless of whether or not it's the truth, then there will be no "lie" response. Think sociopath.

Also, you can do things to screw up the tests to render them inconclusive. Career criminals can do this, and I know people who have done it in interviews, too.

Finally, since polygraphs are inadmissible in court, why should we accept them to "weed out" fanatics? It doesn't work well enough to be anything but a roll of the dice.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    The polygraph only measures physiological responses to questions. If the person believes what he/she is saying, regardless of whether or not it's the truth, then there will be no "lie" response. Think sociopath.
    On that same note, I would think that if you are someone with no qualms about lying and it comes as easily as telling the truth to you, I suspect there wouldn't be a result? If it doesn't bother you/requires no effort, then no reaction?
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%