User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics: a respectable career?

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

When I say actual research about an election, I mean that people must AT LEAST seek info from multiple vantage points, so that they aren't blind to the bias in information they are getting from a single source.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I remember, the first day of my first upper level Poli Sci course the teach said "anyone who wants to go to law school in here raise your hand". Almost all the hands in the room went up.

My question is this, if it was an upper level poli sci course, why didn't he ask who wanted to be a politician instead?
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Why is it that going into Politics is assumed to be an unscrupulous choice?

According to you, how could politics be made respectable once more?
    Ummm...how about represent the best interests of your constitutents instead of selling out to special interests? Cessation of do as I say, not as I do policymaking would be nice. Also, complete elimination of politically correct doublespeak. That shit really pisses me off. It is hard for me not to puke when I hear any state or national politician spewing filth into a microphone at some function to suck in a few free votes via television coverage when their history is laden with examples that prove their actions/choices to be in direct conflict with their recently vomited words.

I realluy hope you don't become a politician, DiscoBiscuit. I'd rather you start up a think tank that discredits special interests. That would be a much better use of your God given powers, in my opinion. You're not a douchebag, so you can't become a politician. It's in the rules, you know...

Keep the faith, Bro.
    Don't sell out.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESFJ

Politics is considered a disreputable career because most politicians are disreputable.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Senior Member Array Nonsensical's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

not in my books. respect and politics don't usually go together in my eyes.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP

What is first needed, is to defeat the twin dragons of big business and lobbying.

It's always been about the money. The only way to stop the corruption is to separate the money from politics.
    The cure would be worse than the disease, for several reasons;
    1.) the ability to independently accumulate campaign money is vital to the independence of a representative from the dictates of the party bosses, and therefore the accountability of a member of congress to their constituents. Rather than combating oligarchy, such "reforms" would increase it by concentrating power in the hands of a relatively small and cohesive cabal (albeit one which alternates in power with other cabals).

2.) All interests are in fact "special interests," and special interests groups enable private citizens to pool and concentrate their resources on behalf of specific goals; in the process of separating "special interest" lobbying from politics, one would for all practical purposes be separating politicians from citizen input and largely shielding them from citizen oversight.

Always keep unintended consequences in mind.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Politicians are nasty, but their nastiness is reflective of the nastiness of those they govern.

Our rulers will only be as good as we force them to be.

When we focus on moral high grounds and not good governance, you get what we have right now.
    Politicians are a reflection of their puppet masters. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the populus.

The same people that legally pick your pockets with excessive usery for student loans, credit cards, car loans and mortgages, energy prices...also pull the politicians strings.

Owing money to a financial institution is slavery. The only path to freedom is to remain debt free.

MBTI
    INFJ

Point is, there was a time for the public to make attacks on one's character. That time was during the election.

Once one has entered office, the real issues they are dealing with are so important, that it is UNAMERICAN to needlessly distract them from that with character attacks. Doing this not only hurts the politician, it hurts the nation.

People need to grow up and let them do their jobs.
    Speaking of, make that triple dragon, big business, lobbyists and the media. The latter didnt do a very good job being objective when Obama was running.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

And interestingly to date, Obama seems like Bush with a differing window dressing on the very same policies. No Change.

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    And interestingly to date, Obama seems like Bush with a differing window dressing on the very same policies. No Change.
    The policies of the elites are reflective more so of their known ability to mutually reinforce each other's interests, than adherence to any platform or grassroots support that got them into their office of power. Kennedy's policies on Vietnam were to get out of there. LBJ said upon going into office that he would be following Kennedy's policies on Vietnam, but that totally did not happen. Very similar situation with Bush/Obama. The whole mechanism of the conflict in Afghanistan/Iraq is a cash machine for the military and intelligence industrial complexes, as well as other supporting contractor corporations (Blackwater, Halliburton, Wackenhut, GE, etc.)
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro