User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

True.

But, under most circumstances, there is less temptation for a doctor to violate his oath than there is for a powerful magistrate to violate his. The president/prime minister/senator/whatever can be greatly tempted by power, wealth, sex, etc., to break his oath. If the magistrate was willing to break his vow to his wife to get a little extra on the side, why would he keep his oath of office if he thought he could break that oath and get a whole lot more than just a little extra on the side?

If you can't do the lesser, then you can't do the greater.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Point is, there was a time for the public to make attacks on one's character. That time was during the election.

Once one has entered office, the real issues they are dealing with are so important, that it is UNAMERICAN to needlessly distract them from that with character attacks. Doing this not only hurts the politician, it hurts the nation.

People need to grow up and let them do their jobs.
    Needlessly. Sure.

Without foundation. Without a doubt.

But if it's found out that the person in office is without character, say, because he's liar who can't keep his promises in the face of temptation, then why should the people believe he's going to deliver on all his campaign promises? How do we know he wasn't lying then just to get into a position of power, and then do willy-nilly as suits his vainglory in order to advance his own welfare and the welfare of his cronies at the people's expense?

(still playing devil's advocate, btw. You might say I'm taking you out for a spin to see how fast you can go.)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You can replace the dr example I gave with something more applicable.

Like I said, the time to vette character was during the election.

The quality of the election is the burden of the populace. It is their duty to themselves to do the research and take the time to make sure they are electing someone they actually agree with.

The people have always been the problem in politics. This problem then infects those they elect.

This issue is like a wart. Cut off the top and it grows back. To rectify this problem you have to annihilate it at the root.

That root in this instance is the people. Until the gov't gives the people the info they need to make logical, pragmatic, and reasonable decisions concerning elections, the blame for this will equally fall on the people and the politicians they elect.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

How do we know he wasn't lying then just to get into a position of power, and then do willy-nilly as suits his vainglory in order to advance his own welfare and the welfare of his cronies at the people's expense?
    (I'm going to make an assumption here) Because you took the time to do the research during the election.

Unless people at least make that minimum (good faith) effort to be involved, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Only once people have done what they can (actual research), can they complain about the politicians they elect. Because if they have done the research and were still unable to find issue with the liar, the blame cannot lie with them.

But if, on the other hand, the problem was obvious, but the populace was just too lazy to take the time to figure it out, they are not only pointing the finger in the wrong direction, they are blaming others for problems they facilitated.

MBTI
    INTP

nicely said.

I agree.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The key is to make sure your last argument is the one they don't have a rebuttal for.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

(still playing devil's advocate, btw. You might say I'm taking you out for a spin to see how fast you can go.)

MBTI
    SEXY

I think a political career would be horrible for most NT's, because we would get an idea, we'd know we are right, we'd make it a law and then we'd wonder why the opposition doesn't agree with us!
    (removed)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I think a political career would be horrible for most NT's, because we would get an idea, we'd know we are right, we'd make it a law and then we'd wonder why the opposition doesn't agree with us!
    I think that's the problem with people, not NT's.