Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default "Halo" punch...

A kid punches his mother and fights with the cops over Halo 3. I can't believe I missed this story, but it ought to teach parents to leave their kids and their property alone (why do they need a set bedtime anyway?). It's mother's own damn fault.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why do they need to raise hysterical violent kids? If he hasn't got some severe disorder I guess she had it coming because of a crap job done parenting. Bit rash to call the police on him though, but I guess "kid" could mean steroid-pumped 18 year old in the wonderful alternate reality of mass media.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

My point is what is wrong with video games? Who cares if kids spend "too much time" playing them? It's what they enjoy. Just leave them alone, they're not hurting anyone (unless someone intrudes, of course).

MBTI
    INTJ

You know full well why, computer addiction! A child is too immature to understand the dangers of this affliction so the parents must step in and set a clear boundary. Besides, just sitting by the console or computer all day isn't so bad if you're doing something worthwhile, but if you're just playing games or reading some unimportant forum all the time there are a lot of things that you can do instead that are more worth your while in the end. A parent must have the right to make sure kids use their time do acquire a more diverse childhood experience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Punggung View Post
    You know full well why, computer addiction! A child is too immature to understand the dangers of this affliction so the parents must step in and set a clear boundary. Besides, just sitting by the console or computer all day isn't so bad if you're doing something worthwhile, but if you're just playing games or reading some unimportant forum all the time there are a lot of things that you can do instead that are more worth your while in the end. A parent must have the right to make sure kids use their time do acquire a more diverse childhood experience.
    And why exactly is a diverse childhood experience important? It appears to me that would cost a lot more money.

And how do you distinguish from important to unimportant? For example, what's important to the rest of the world may not be important to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

I believe parents of all kinds want their kids to have a childhood rich in experience, and I also believe the parents are prepared to work for it, and if the kids aren't prepared to work for it I guess the parents will use their right to push it on them until the like it.

I trust the parents know you well enough to know if playing computer all day is what you wanna do every day or if it is just a short term pleasure that can quickly be replaced by another activity of their choice.

So, important would be what the parents choose. And if the kid is prepared to work with the parents instead of against them, this important thing is liable to be closer to the kids preferences. What's your own experience?

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Here is why computer addiction is harmful to children: My 23 year old stepson still lives with his mother, never leaves the house, had a job in his entire life for only two weeks and has never been laid. He seems content to do nothing except live virtually behind a computer screen. His mother left him alone to do what he wanted most of his life. He has no intentions of leaving home and she has no intention of making him. Maybe that isn't wrong in a strict sense, however I make my son get off the computer often. He is going to learn how to live in the real world like it or not as long as he lives with me. I refuse to have a child who is ignorant on how to do so and he will leave home. I'm not going to be one of those mothers who never pushes the bird out of the nest. I feel it's my responsibility to teach him how to be an adult. He knows how to take care of himself at this point enough that he could live alone in a few years successfully such as cooking, cleaning and understands work is the only way to get money. I had to force these lessons. Despite his dislike of many of these things I've given him the knowledge. After he leaves home and has grown up he is free to do as he pleases with his life of course. I will help him with anything he needs but I refuse to do it for him even now.

Side note: I would never call the law on my child because in the end she will have to pay his fines to get him out of trouble etc. I would only call the law if I was truly scared of what I was going to do to him after he hit me.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    Here is why computer addiction is harmful to children: My 23 year old stepson still lives with his mother, never leaves the house, had a job in his entire life for only two weeks and has never been laid. He seems content to do nothing except live virtually behind a computer screen. His mother left him alone to do what he wanted most of his life. He has no intentions of leaving home and she has no intention of making him. Maybe that isn't wrong in a strict sense, however I make my son get off the computer often. He is going to learn how to live in the real world like it or not as long as he lives with me. I refuse to have a child who is ignorant on how to do so and he will leave home. I'm not going to be one of those mothers who never pushes the bird out of the nest. I feel it's my responsibility to teach him how to be an adult. He knows how to take care of himself at this point enough that he could live alone in a few years successfully such as cooking, cleaning and understands work is the only way to get money. I had to force these lessons. Despite his dislike of many of these things I've given him the knowledge. After he leaves home and has grown up he is free to do as he pleases with his life of course. I will help him with anything he needs but I refuse to do it for him even now.

Side note: I would never call the law on my child because in the end she will have to pay his fines to get him out of trouble etc. I would only call the law if I was truly scared of what I was going to do to him after he hit me.
    Well, I will grant you the job thing, because you need a job to afford your computer hardware. But other than that, I don't understand.

Some people are perfectly happy in front of a computer screen all day. Not knowing what else is out there increases your satisfaction, because your desires are fewer.

My 23 year old stepson still lives with his mother, never leaves the house, had a job in his entire life for only two weeks and has never been laid.
    Did you just put that in to piss me off? I think you ought to take a really good look at the amazing quote in my sig. It puzzles me as to why people think dying a virgin is a bad thing. Believe it or not, there are more interesting things than that. The only reason people think that way is because the media tells them to.

MBTI
    INTJ

Hey, getting laid is great. Maybe not something you should get too worked up about but the same goes for the virtual life.

OT:

If you wanna get laid and aren't too picky about the gender or if it involves your rectum or not I suggest you seek out a gay chatroom. There are lots of dirty old men out there who will even pay for it, if you feel like breaking some strange law. Otherwise, lots of effeminate transes will gladly lend you their asses in prder to convert a srt8 guy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Punggung View Post
    OT:

If you wanna get laid and aren't too picky about the gender or if it involves your rectum or not I suggest you seek out a gay chatroom. There are lots of dirty old men out there who will even pay for it, if you feel like breaking some strange law. Otherwise, lots of effeminate transes will gladly lend you their asses in prder to convert a srt8 guy.
    I feared the discussion would end up like this, but since it is my thread, I'm excited to see where this ends up.

Let's just get one thing straight, and I'm speaking from a scientific, not religious, perspective: People were not biologically designed to mate with their same gender. Homos trying to convert heteros are no better than Christians trying to convert Muslims or vice versa and whatnot. And just because a penis fits into other holes doesn't mean they should go into them.

But anyway, back on topic, I argued that I think it's wrong to try and convert a computer gamer (no matter what age). What is healthy is a point of view. If it makes one happy, then it's healthy.

The ideal parent is permissive, because he/she knows that the child will do whatever makes them happy. If they say gaming is unhealthy, they are talking from their point of view and they really should mind their own fucking business.

And unlike sex, computer gaming isn't affecting other people's lives -- for the most part, computer gamers have no trouble minding their own business and worrying about themselves.