User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The violence of the father's reaction made me think that ultimately he scarred the boy which led to his violating behavior. I'm guessing the son was victimized before the father ever murdered him. The boy's frontal lobe development could even have been damaged beyond the limits of its natural development. Molestation is an act that results from power issues - the perpetrator typically has issues of powerlessness. Where would these come from? The story suggests a level of dysfunction that goes way beyond the two accounts of violence/violation.

Edit: The knee-jerk "kill the molester" reaction in society is precisely the reason so few with this illness get help. Threatening the person's life is not what cures them. It increases a sense of powerlessness. This kid was fifteen. There is brain scan evidence to demonstrate that the ability to identify emotion in others, the ability to process and moderate personal impulses, and the ability to synthesize and reason are limited at this age. The hardware of the brain has not fully developed. People who have been abused and not taught how to reason, or given the tools to moderate their impulses and emotions will further have impulse issues. The boy was ill - emotionally sick. He needed professional help. The father was likely a primary influence in making this kid sick. I'm not sure what upsets me more, the original story or the mob mentality that thinks any sort of justice was served in this incident.
    I don't care about "justice". I'm satisfied that there's one less predator society has to deal with, for now.

I have seen no evidence to support that idea that molesters, at any age, can be "cured". There is only hope. It may even be natural (not necessarily a consequence of abuse), but society has decided that this behavior is unacceptable, regardless of the source. I can't say I disagree.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm diagnosing these people with mob mentality and prescribing one season of Criminal Minds.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Oh well.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Nice work, saved the tax payers some trouble.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Unless of course... the molestation involved a clown.
    Count on Edgar to make you laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    What the hell, Edgar.
    Yes Edgar, what the hell. Shame on you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Don't look at me like that with your small white eyes ^_^
    Someone had to tell him off
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't care about "justice". I'm satisfied that there's one less predator society has to deal with, for now.
    Society? You mean with laws?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Found this in tag cloud for entj father
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

I remember this story in the news, but didn't participate in the discussion back in 09.

I suspect the majority of molesters cannot be reformed because they are wired differently. (Exceptions for victims of abuse, who are made rather than born.). In this case, due to limited information and the young age of the perpetrator, we will never know the truth of the matter, so jubilation here is conveniently disregarding the lack of certainty. How we treat people born physiologically/psychologically different says something about us. We can't cure them, so they're just free mob bait? That's as repulsive as the illness itself. Rome never left us. Pedophiles have become one of the last safe vestiges for society to pour its anger and self-righteousness onto. Whether they have a choice in their orientation is incidental, so long as they provide an outlet for the mob's desire for vigilante justice.

Unfortunately, I have no longterm solution for what to do with pedophiles and I think most don't either, but I can't celebrate shooting them like dogs in the streets and then call that a solution.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke