MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    Holy shit, do you know me?
    Nope, but my nephew is totally bad ass, and I don't think that entirely because I'm biased. Of course I'm biased. But he's really smart and his existence opens my mind to the intellectual potential of different children.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was a Democrat by age 9 - note, my parents and friends were not of any political belief - I was a total geek, read up on laws, read political books from both sides, all that. Don't underestimate kids.

I was raised in a primarily conservative Southern Christian Republican environment, and was a liberal by the time I was 13. That's not nearly as impressive as nine, but yeah, we're on the same wave length here.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I would be impressed if the kid were constructively agitating for his beliefs rather than using them as an excuse to denigrate the symbol of the country I love (such a quaint and primitive sentiment, I know). As it is, I view him like I do flag-burners; I support his right to protest this way, but I also think he's a huge prick for doing so, and I'm not about to praise him.

He's ten. I think maybe we could argue about him "constructively agitating for his beliefs" or him being a huge prick if he were at least sixteen.

Sniffles

Peguy, I'm a liberal. I'm not going to try and challenge your political beliefs at all, but don't resent others because you feel you're being suppressed. Not on this forum, you aren't. Not that you do this. Just some salt grains for ya.
    I'll certainly keep that in mind. Although as I said, I'm not claiming victim status here - even though I faced much alienation from my peers when I was younger, and partially because of my unconventional views.

Although I will say it is rather exasperating and exhausting to commonly have to deal with the arguments of ten people at once, each of which dealing with various underlining aspects of this issue - whether it be legal, moral, religious, sociological, historical, etc. I debate as much as I can untill my mind literally collaspes. I'm sure you can understand that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    Um, is profanity really necessary? Anyway, if not a kid, what is he? How exactly did you want the kid to be treated? Should the reporter have had a party or a red carpet for the kid to walk in on before the interview? *shrugs* Okay, yay, the kid did something about his belief (which I do not share), but I don't think he deserves to be put on a pedestal for his actions.
    The reporter could have gone without a few of the inflections and the ending comments. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really easily pick up on the nuances and subtleties of what people say. That is what I mean.

Plus, it's not what he believes in, but what he did about it. And personally, I don't think the bulk of people these days do it enough..and I include myself.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Why rule this off as just some kid?

He's preaching a greater message..one that we probably overlooked. So, ideally, we should be discussing the point he's trying to argue rather than the context of the situation..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    He's ten. I think maybe we could argue about him "constructively agitating for his beliefs" or him being a huge prick if he were at least sixteen.
    If he is old enough to be praised for his action, then he is old enough to be criticized for the exact same action. That said, I agree with your general point and I'm actually a lot more upset with the adults who have exploited the actions of an immature child and turned this into both a national story and an experience which will likely haunt the kid later in life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Plus, it's not what he believes in, but what he did about it.
    I completely agree, which is EXACTLY why his action irritates me. Its also why I'm even more irritated with some of the kid's defenders, many of whom would be unlikely to celebrate the child's action if it were on behalf of a cause they disagreed with.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I completely agree, which is EXACTLY why his action irritates me. Its also why I'm even more irritated with some of the kid's defenders, many of whom would be unlikely to celebrate the child's action if it were on behalf of a cause they disagreed with.
    I would.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

To me it seems as if he was introduced to the views from his family and that this is really just him starting to think, to develop some personal opinions. It's promising for him but doesn't really seem national news worthy.
    Last edited by BlueGray; 11-20-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: new -> news