User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Warm View Post
    Why do we owe this kid respect? Is it for his belief or for standing up for his belief?
    For standing up for his belief. How often do we stand up for what we believe in? We kind of just push it away as if it isn't worth it. And fuck you if you don't agree with me, this is a fair statement.

Also, is it just me or does it seam like the news reporters are kind of treating him as just a little kid? I kind of get the feeling like they just write him off just as a smart kid with unorthodox beliefs. If anything, they should have shown him a little more respect...but then again, I guess it's their way of trying to stay objective with news.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    For standing up for his belief. How often do we stand up for what we believe in? We kind of just push it away as if it isn't worth it. And fuck you if you don't agree with me, this is a fair statement.

Also, is it just me or does it seam like the news reporters are kind of treating him as just a little kid? I kind of get the feeling like they just write him off just as a smart kid with unorthodox beliefs. If anything, they should have shown him a little more respect...but then again, I guess it's their way of trying to stay objective with news.
    Um, is profanity really necessary? Anyway, if not a kid, what is he? How exactly did you want the kid to be treated? Should the reporter have had a party or a red carpet for the kid to walk in on before the interview? *shrugs* Okay, yay, the kid did something about his belief (which I do not share), but I don't think he deserves to be put on a pedestal for his actions.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh I see, you support the political exploitation of children when they serve causes you agree with!
    Peguy, I'm a liberal. I'm not going to try and challenge your political beliefs at all, but don't resent others because you feel you're being suppressed. Not on this forum, you aren't. Not that you do this. Just some salt grains for ya.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    Or maybe he was just an attention whore, or parroting his parents' beliefs, which is a hell of a lot more likely than having an actual full understanding of anything political at his age.
    I was a Democrat by age 9 - note, my parents and friends were not of any political belief - I was a total geek, read up on laws, read political books from both sides, all that. Don't underestimate kids.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Er...I don't know. I have a twelve year old nephew who seems to be extremely smart socially. He has questioned things for years, and everything he does is not necessarily a parrot of the adults around him. If anything, he's been exposed to so many diverse points of view in my family that it's simply taught him to question things. He also was fairly popular when he was about ten or eleven, and went of his way to use his popularity to include kids who are "left out" or picked on.

Some kids are just smart. For a percentage of them, that means being a science geek or mathlete. Others are socially smarter.
    Holy shit, do you know me?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've concluded that I don't care if this kid was put up to it or conforming or an attention whore. At least this can inspire others. Why does it seem can no one do anything good without being accused of ulterior motives?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Kid gets mad props. Given the pained look on his father's face, I seriously doubt he was put up to it. He has a lot of courage in the face of inevitably being socially ostracized by his peers for making a statement like that.

There was a big story here about a student who got suspended for not standing up and saying the pledge, which went to court and he of course won the case. Forcing kids to say the pledge has "fascism" written all over it.

MBTI
    INTP

I would be impressed if the kid were constructively agitating for his beliefs rather than using them as an excuse to denigrate the symbol of the country I love (such a quaint and primitive sentiment, I know). As it is, I view him like I do flag-burners; I support his right to protest this way, but I also think he's a huge prick for doing so, and I'm not about to praise him.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

He's a kid. What else is he supposed to have done? Hold a press conference?

The kid is right. There's still so much inequality in this country. It always made me sick when everyone stood up for the pledge of allegiance or the national anthem and waved their flags. *vomit*
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”