Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    This is true. Take it from the emo kid song:

"I'm an emo kid
    Nonconforming as can be
    You'd be nonconforming too
    If you looked just like me"
    Er...I don't know. I have a twelve year old nephew who seems to be extremely smart socially. He has questioned things for years, and everything he does is not necessarily a parrot of the adults around him. If anything, he's been exposed to so many diverse points of view in my family that it's simply taught him to question things. He also was fairly popular when he was about ten or eleven, and went of his way to use his popularity to include kids who are "left out" or picked on.

Some kids are just smart. For a percentage of them, that means being a science geek or mathlete. Others are socially smarter.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Does the kids father have the same ideals?... Maybe the kid is just parroting them...

It would be interesting to see the voting age drop to 10, just to see who could be elected, what bills get passed, and what the overall outcome for the nation would be! ...lol.
    The world would be a very interesting place. I think not as economical viable, but very interesting and good in almost every other aspect. Children tend to ask 'why' questions a lot more then adults (that is, unless they get a correcting slap for asking) and not take any answer for granted. I think every politician should have an extremely annoying kid as a sidekick who will, by his questions, makes a politician think about why he is doing something. Not to mention the fact that political debates would be much more fun to watch if there was a group of 8 year olds annoying the hell out of our representatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    However, us adults should be more aware of that, and aware how much of this is really a charade. And for his parents to parade their son to the media over something like this also shows some irresponsibility on their part as well.
    Adult are influenced from the outside as well. First of all there's the upbringing, society, environment etc. And while I admit that in children the parents are usually a huge influence I see no fault in this up until the point where the parent expects the kid to blindly agree.

As for the media coverage the parents allowed for in this matter. It's probably not a thing I would've done, but I fail to see any significant problem with it.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Er...I don't know. I have a twelve year old nephew who seems to be extremely smart socially. He has questioned things for years, and everything he does is not necessarily a parrot of the adults around him. If anything, he's been exposed to so many diverse points of view in my family that it's simply taught him to question things. He also was fairly popular when he was about ten or eleven, and went of his way to use his popularity to include kids who are "left out" or picked on.

Some kids are just smart. For a percentage of them, that means being a science geek or mathlete. Others are socially smarter.
    There are a bunch of countercultures where doing something that seems "radical" and against the "culture" is the norm. Supporting gay rights and marriage is a big one. This makes this action unremarkable.

Also: 12-year-olds are a LOT smarter than 10-year-olds. By, like a huge margin.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There are a bunch of countercultures where doing something that seems "radical" and against the "culture" is the norm. Supporting gay rights and marriage is a big one. This makes this action unremarkable.

Also: 12-year-olds are a LOT smarter than 10-year-olds. By, like a huge margin.
    I'm telling you, my nephew started flooring me with his observations and questions by the time he was ten. However, it took him to the age of eleven or twelve to actually become as quick and witty as he also is today.

The kid's action is unremarkable? What are you talking about? It took a lot of courage for him to be the only kid in the class to protest in that manner - at that age most kids are very awkward or afraid of what others think of them. Maybe he is some what influenced by his parents beliefs if they are liberal,but calling his actions "unremarkable" is a pretty big exaggeration on your part.

That kid is smart. Unless someone actuallly told him to do it, he is exceptionally brave and clever for a ten year old. It would be a lot less remarkable if he were in high school.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm telling you, my nephew started flooring me with his observations and questions by the time he was ten. However, it took him to the age of eleven or twelve to actually become as quick and witty as he also is today.

The kid's action is unremarkable? What are you talking about? It took a lot of courage for him to be the only kid in the class to protest in that manner - at that age most kids are very awkward or afraid of what others think of them. Maybe he is some what influenced by his parents beliefs if they are liberal,but calling his actions "unremarkable" is a pretty big exaggeration on your part.

That kid is smart. Unless someone actuallly told him to do it, he is exceptionally brave and clever for a ten year old. It would be a lot less remarkable if he were in high school.
    No, it's unremarkable.

If he had actually done something, you know, that matters, instead of refusing to do a symbolic gesture, that might have impressed me.

Remember. When you're young, symbolic gestures mean so much less.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, it's unremarkable.

If he had actually done something, you know, that matters, instead of refusing to do a symbolic gesture, that might have impressed me.

Remember. When you're young, symbolic gestures mean so much less.
    It's unremarkable for a ten year old to take a stand for something that actually matters, in defiance of his teachers (as opposed to just being a class clown or rebel for attention), and without uniting with any of his class mates? ORLY? You must have some pretty high standards for fifth graders.

He did do something: he protested for something he believes in apparently.

If my kid did that (not that I have a kid of my own yet) I wouldn't have even apologized to the teacher.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If my kid did that (not that I have a kid of my own yet) I wouldn't have even apologized to the teacher.
    I wouldn't have apologized either. It's a symbolic gesture, and he is a fifth grader. In my eyes, nothing of note happened.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Beat the father. Enough said.
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm not into the whole Liberal, anti-government, America sucks show, but I think we all owe this kid a hell of a lot of respect. It's not like we're doing anything..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I'm not into the whole Liberal, anti-government, America sucks show, but I think we all owe this kid a hell of a lot of respect. It's not like we're doing anything..
    Why do we owe this kid respect? Is it for his belief or for standing up for his belief?
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses