User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 10 year old refuses to salute the flag...

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Okay, say I'm an employer. What can I expect from you?
    Well, you can expect me to show up for work on time every day, and do whatever I'm told. You can also expect me not to be a major drain on the IT department, because I'm quite skilled with Office applications and Windows.

If I do data entry or similar document processing, you can expect the punctuation, spelling, and grammar to be correct. I also guarantee my work will not contain colloquialisms, present the company in a negative light, or otherwise be unprofessional. You can also expect a typing speed of 40 wpm.

If I do IT work, you can expect that I will resolve any technical issues presented to me in a timely and polite manner.

If I do filing and copying, you can expect that I will take a minimum of time to grasp your filing system, and keep the files in proper order. I will also have no difficulty figuring out how to use advanced copier/printer features or discerning and correcting errors in such devices.

If I do research, you can expect it to be reasonably thorough due to my developed ability to reference both conventional and modern resources, and understand the reasons for discrepencies between sources that conflict.

Finally, you can also expect that you don't have to pay me more than minimum wage, and that I'll never ask for a raise or promotion. I will work on holidays and weekends if asked, and will work overtime without pay if it becomes necessary in order to get the work out on time. Also, I will attempt to learn any skills I don't currently possess if that is expected.

The problem, as I see it, is that I'm offering skills and abilities, but employers only want years of experience, above average interpersonal skills, and college diplomas. People who are much worse at their jobs than I would be, are getting jobs instead of me because they have those things.

Not sure what y'all are talkin' 'bout...

but this 10 year old sounds like a delightful child!
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

Kids like these restore my faith in the world.
    Isn't life under the sun just a crazy, crazy, crazy dream? Isn't life just a mirage of the world before the world? Why am I here and not over there? When did time begin? Where does space end? Where do you and I begin?
    INfp. Fi~Ti>Te~Ne>Si>Ni>Fe~Se
    Level 5 4w5. Screw instinctual subtypes. (Ranking: 4>9~5>6>1~2>3~7~8)
    Good~Neutral>Evil, Neutral>Chaotic>Lawful
    Signal Patterns