User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wha-wha-wait. We're overpopulated? When did this happen?
    We're not. The United States is not even close to overpopulated.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We're not. The United States is not even close to overpopulated.
    Well, it certainly feels like it. The competition for jobs should not be this stiff unless we are overpopulated. If the employers had fewer applicants to choose from, unemployment would be less of a problem.

Let's just say we're overpopulated in relation to the number of workers we can support.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, it certainly feels like it. The competition for jobs should not be this stiff unless we are overpopulated. If the employers had fewer applicants to choose from, unemployment would be less of a problem.

Let's just say we're overpopulated in relation to the number of workers we can support.

Let's not, because we aren't. Ten years ago, the U.S. economy was setting records for employment, to the point that economists had to revise down their estimates for a natural rate of unemployment. The economy didn't go in the toilet because we have too many people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Let's not, because we aren't. Ten years ago, the U.S. economy was setting records for employment, to the point that economists had to revise down their estimates for a natural rate of unemployment. The economy didn't go in the toilet because we have too many people.
    Well, that's not a good excuse. The point is that we have too few jobs, and if we had fewer people, this would be less of a problem. We shouldn't have to live like this. It's ridiculous. I don't care if we have to kill people off to reduce the level of competition, this is just not good enough. It's unworkable, unreasonable. There is too much competition, the standards are too high.

It doesn't matter why the economy went in the toilet, the point is that now that it is, it can't sustain our population.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well, that's not a good excuse. The point is that we have too few jobs, and if we had fewer people, this would be less of a problem. We shouldn't have to live like this. It's ridiculous.

There is no "excuse." If we had fewer people, we'd have fewer productive workers. It would not be "less of a problem" unless you only got rid of the unemployable. Native-born Americans aren't producing children at a significant rate over the replacement rate. Our population is growing because people immigrate here (legally or otherwise) and they have more children than natives do. People don't immigrate when there aren't jobs to do. I don't see a through line of logic to your thinking at all.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There is no "excuse." If we had fewer people, we'd have fewer productive workers. It would not be "less of a problem" unless you only got rid of the unemployable. Native-born Americans aren't producing children at a significant rate over the replacement rate. Our population is growing because people immigrate here (legally or otherwise) and they have more children than natives do. People don't immigrate when there aren't jobs to do. I don't see a through line of logic to your thinking at all.
    What difference does it make if native-born Americans or immigrants are causing the population to grow? People are people, they all consume resources.

Well, I don't see how any of those immigrants are finding jobs... unless someone is hiring them exclusively?

Having a larger pool of productive workers to choose from might be good for businesses, but it's bad for everyone who has to seek employment... it means you're less likely to be employed than you would with less competition.

MBTI
    ESFJ

What difference does it make if native-born Americans or immigrants are causing the population to grow? People are people, they all consume resources.

Well, I don't see how any of those immigrants are finding jobs... unless someone is hiring them exclusively?
    There are usually performing jobs that Americans won't at that price point (often at or below minimum wage). There are filling a need in the economy.

MBTI
    ENFJ

We aren't consuming over our resources. That's ridiculous. We have plenty of resources. The reasons people are having such trouble finding jobs is because of lack of savings for investments, lack of willingness to risk, and lack of innovation, none of which would be solved by killing off a bunch of our population.

Eesh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    We aren't consuming over our resources. That's ridiculous. We have plenty of resources. The reasons people are having such trouble finding jobs is because of lack of savings for investments, lack of willingness to risk, and lack of innovation, none of which would be solved by killing off a bunch of our population.

Eesh.
    Geez...

And I personally have ALL three of those problems, too.

I just don't like what's being demanded, and I want the expectations of employers to be more reasonable so I can meet them.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Geez...

And I personally have ALL three of those problems, too.

I just don't like what's being demanded, and I want the expectations of employers to be more reasonable so I can meet them.
    Okay, say I'm an employer. What can I expect from you?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge