User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you more likely to be politically left or right if you scare easily?

Don't Judge Me! Array Haphazard's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    We don't need to go that far, just make it so that those making the decisions within the ruling class of the media get fired when they pull the wool over our eyes to further personal gains.
    That's not far enough.

The media is a capitalist business, and we are consumers, so we must fight it the way consumers battle things they don't like; by not consuming.

Mass boycotting of major news outlets is the solution.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

What's more likely to succeed?

Enforcing the law, or getting enough people to agree about this so that the boycott actually works.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Don't Judge Me! Array Haphazard's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ

What's more likely to succeed?

Enforcing the law, or getting enough people to agree about this so that the boycott actually works.
    Getting people to agree? We don't need to do anything. People are already agreeing. They're flocking to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report and blogs and non-mainstream online sources for their news. The consumers are frustrated, and the boycott has already begun.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The problem with our Democracy (if you could still call it that [I find democratic republic to be much more apt]), is that the people bitch about gov't and politics
    You were doing exactly that for most of this thread, lol. Though I'm glad you've changed.

Enneagram
    8w9

Think about the implications of what you said.

You didn't say, "boycott FOX news".

You said, "boycott the media".

Anyway, we will never be able to boycott the media to a sufficient degree to affect it. Its too convenient and available. We consume it daily and would freak out if it wasn't there.

Therefore, the best way to constrain the unethical practices of large media firms is to regulate them. This regulation can be enumerated outside of the court of public opinion, and thus be able to actually accomplish something.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You were doing exactly that for most of this thread, lol. Though I'm glad you've changed.
    If you've understood what I've been saying, you would know that I believe it is everyone's duty to bitch about politics as an American. Its our duty to ourselves and our children to force our politicians to act ethically.

The bitching I was referring to in the quote you used can be seen in the birther controversy. That's the bitching that I hate.

The bitching that has NOTHING to do with policy arguments, and only serves to distract the public.

I guess I should have distinguished that in my earlier post.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Enneagram
    8w9

My problem with politics is summed up perfectly by a scene from The American President

[YOUTUBE="5UAWGN1Wmxc"]The American President[/YOUTUBE]

I like how this scene starts out with how useless baseless political attacks are.

Here is (some of) the text from that speech.

I've bolded the most important parts.

Lewis Rothschild: You have a deeper love of this country than any man I've ever known. And I want to know what it says to you that in the past seven weeks, 59% of Americans have begun to question your patriotism.

Andrew Shepherd: Look, if the people want to listen to---

Lewis Rothschild: They don't have a choice! Bob Rumson is the only one doing the talking! People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.
    The sand in our present situation is the information provided to the public by the MSM.

How can the people make informed decisions if the only information available is tainted?
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

My problem with politics is summed up perfectly by a scene from The American President

I like how this scene starts out with how useless baseless political attacks are.

Here is (some of) the text from that speech.

I've bolded the most important parts.

The sand in our present situation is the information provided to the public by the MSM.

How can the people make informed decisions if the only information available is tainted?
    Blogs are the modern-day equivalent of the "pinko rags" which dared to contradict Hearst and Pulitzer's newspapers 100 years ago. They are a powerful tool. The key, however, is to be so good at what you do that the established media doesn't seem more legitimate through their instituted status.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Magic, you gave the thread 1-star. Why?
    What?!

Not to my knowledge.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Blogs are the modern-day equivalent of the "pinko rags" which dared to contradict Hearst and Pulitzer's newspapers 100 years ago. They are a powerful tool. The key, however, is to be so good at what you do that the established media doesn't seem more legitimate through their instituted status.
    The key (which people don't understand) is that electronic information, just like information you get from other people, MUST be taken with a grain of salt to be of any usefulness.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so