User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Scare easy = extreme political views, no matter on what side of the aisle you happen to find yourself.
    Apparently normal right-wing views = scare easily as well.

MBTI
    INTP

:rolli:

Gee, I wonder what sort of extrapolations I could make out of this....if I wasn't so "cautious" about assuming things. Interestingly, in light of both studies, members of law enforcement and the military (organizations based on respect for the law and courage) tend to be conservative....

'Fearless' 3-Year-Olds Might Be Tomorrow's Criminals - Yahoo! News

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I would agree.

But, I wasn't willing to confine this problem to just the republicans.

People from every party do it. The effects are just different depending the way the party in question decides to expend the political capital generated by over-inflating the fears we all have.

For example, a question:

"If we had not gone into Iraq or stayed in Afghanistan (as long as we have), would we have suffered an actual terrorist attack?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Scare easy = extreme political views, no matter on what side of the aisle you happen to find yourself.
    From my own experience with extremists of either side, I'd say I agree with you.

Typically, I've found that Liberal vs. Conservative in the extremes equate to "Scared of Big Industry" vs. "Scared of Big Government" respectively. Granted, that's just the trend I notice here, it may be different elsewhere.

No matter the side, fear is a powerful propaganda agent that media and power-figures of all sorts are not above using to further their influence. It's been this way for eons.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Fear is the tool our government uses to pull the wool over our eyes.

Fear distracts us from whats going on, what the gov't is actually doing, and refocuses the argument on something that probably doesn't matter (like gay marriage, how is this even an issue everyone deserves the right to marry).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Fear is the tool our government uses to pull the wool over our eyes.

Fear distracts us from whats going on, what the gov't is actually doing, and refocuses the argument on something that probably doesn't matter (like gay marriage, how is this even an issue everyone deserves the right to marry).
    It makes me think of the Roman Coliseum... using flashy gladiatorial battles to distract the public from massive public problems. Sadly enough, people still fall for tactics like that.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The Power of Nightmares, subtitled The Rise of the Politics of Fear, is a BBC documentary film series, written and produced by Adam Curtis. Its three one-hour parts consist mostly of a montage of archive footage with Curtis's narration. The series was first broadcast in the United Kingdom in late 2004 and has subsequently been broadcast in multiple countries and shown in several film festivals, including the 2005 Cannes Film Festival.

The films compare the rise of the Neo-Conservative movement in the United States and the radical Islamist movement, making comparisons on their origins and claiming similarities between the two. More controversially, it argues that the threat of radical Islamism as a massive, sinister organised force of destruction, specifically in the form of al-Qaeda, is a myth perpetrated by politicians in many countries—and particularly American Neo-Conservatives—in an attempt to unite and inspire their people following the failure of earlier, more utopian ideologies.

The Power of Nightmares has been praised by film critics in both Britain and the United States. Its message and content have also been the subject of various critiques and criticisms from conservatives and progressives.
    Airings and distribution

The Power of Nightmares was first aired in three consecutive weeks on BBC 2 in 2004 in the United Kingdom, beginning with Baby it's Cold Outside on 20 October, The Phantom Victory on 27 October and The Shadows in the Cave on 3 November, although the murder of Kenneth Bigley led the BBC to curtail their advertising prior to its airing.[7][8][9][12] It was rebroadcast, in January 2005, over three days, with the third film updated to take note of the Law Lords ruling from the previous December that detaining foreign terrorist suspects without trial was illegal.[13]

In May 2005, the film was screened in a 2½ hour edit at the Cannes Film Festival out of competition.[14] Pathé has purchased distribution rights for this cut of the film.[6]

As of 1 January 2008, the film has yet to be aired in the United States. Curtis has commented on this failure:

Something extraordinary has happened to American TV since September 11. A head of the leading networks who had better remain nameless said to me that there was no way they could show it. He said, 'Who are you to say this?' and then he added, 'We would get slaughtered if we put this out.' When I was in New York I took a DVD to the head of documentaries at HBO. I still haven't heard from him.[6]

Although the series has not been shown on U.S. television, its three episodes were shown in succession, on 26 February 2005, as part of the True/False Film Festival in Columbia, Missouri, with a personal appearance by Curtis.[15][16] It has also been featured at the 2006 Seattle International Film Festival and the San Francisco International Film Festival, with the latter awarding Curtis their Persistence of Vision Award.[17][18][19] The film was also screened at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York, and had a brief theatrical run in New York City during 2005.[20][21]

The films were first aired by CBC in Canada in April 2005, and again in July 2006.[22] The Australian channel SBS had originally scheduled to air the series in July 2005, but it was cancelled, reportedly in light of the London bombings of 7 July.[23][24] It was ultimately aired in December, followed by Peter Taylor's The New Al-Qaeda under the billing of a counter-argument to Curtis.[25]

In April 2005, Curtis expressed interest in an official DVD release due to a significant demand by viewers, but noted that his usual montage technique created serious legal problems with getting such a release secured.[26] An unofficial DVD release was made in the quarterly DVD magazine Wholphin over a period of three issues.[27][28][29]
    This documentary can be watched on youtube.

It's a little long, but if you would like to have your mind blown, there is nothing better.

EDIT: this information was courtesy of Wikipedia

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    It makes me think of the Roman Coliseum... using flashy gladiatorial battles to distract the public from massive public problems. Sadly enough, people still fall for tactics like that.
    Same shit different day.

When the gov't treats us like a mob, we act like one.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The only reason that the documentary won't be shown, is because those in power are afraid what it will say about them.

Fear is the tool of politicians, not one party specifically.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If I ever decide to get a poli. sci. PHd, this would probably be what my dissertation was on.