Thread: Tariffs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Tariffs

I know that high tariffs in one country would cause other countries to heighten their tariffs, thus hurting all of their economies, and I notice that if all countries lowered their tariffs then it would also be hurtful to their internal industry due to outsourcing. I was wondering other peoples opinions. I spoke with an INTJ Swede the previous day and he was of the belief that tariffs can be whatever they are, but should should be payed for completely by taxes.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Liason View Post
    I know that high tariffs in one country would cause other countries to heighten their tariffs, thus hurting all of their economies, and I notice that if all countries lowered their tariffs then it would also be hurtful to their internal industry due to outsourcing. I was wondering other peoples opinions. I spoke with an INTJ Swede the previous day and he was of the belief that tariffs can be whatever they are, but should should be payed for completely by taxes.

If all countries lowered tariffs, it would benefit everyone except uncompetitive firms.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If all countries lowered tariffs, it would benefit everyone except uncompetitive firms.
    I can't agree with such. When dealing with international economics it is a very complex subject. There are no simple solutions and low tariffs would mess up the inflation rate as well as world trade specializations.
    The Symbol of the King*The Absolute Does Not Exist*Kingship Will Bring Me Freedom
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    ESFJ

I can't agree with such. When dealing with international economics it is a very complex subject. There are no simple solutions and low tariffs would mess up the inflation rate as well as world trade specializations.
    High tariffs have been shown to be harmful to the economies both of the trading partner countries AND the country implementing them, EVEN when the trading partners do not raise their own tariffs in response. And how exactly would low tariffs "mess up the inflation rate?" Also, what do you mean by "world trade specializations" anyway? Are you implying that it's good for certain countries to specialize in certain industries even when other countries outperform them in productivity and cost? That makes no sense whatsoever.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

High tariffs have been shown to be harmful to the economies both of the trading partner countries AND the country implementing them, EVEN when the trading partners do not raise their own tariffs in response. And how exactly would low tariffs "mess up the inflation rate?" Also, what do you mean by "world trade specializations" anyway? Are you implying that it's good for certain countries to specialize in certain industries even when other countries outperform them in productivity and cost? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    I just want to get people's opinions, not debate the topic. Sorry, I have already been through enough debates on this topic. I simply like seeing diversity in people's opinions. I don't wish to change them.
    (I know the very first reply I did for your post contradicts my view right now. Sorry >_<)
    5w4-4w5-1w9

MBTI
    ESFJ

I just want to get people's opinions, not debate the topic. Sorry, I have already been through enough debates on this topic. I simply like seeing diversity in people's opinions. I don't wish to change them.
    (I know the very first reply I did for your post contradicts my view right now. Sorry >_<)

There's not much debate to be had on this one.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait... what? How do you pay tariffs with taxes?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

An American factory worker cannot compete with a Chinese factory worker for a number of reasons. China has low safety standards, poor environmental protection regulations, and a Chinese worker can live on $20/month. Those things are impossible in the US. So unless you would be willing to bring living standards to that of China, the competition will not be fair. And the education of an American worker can go only as far too. After all, half the people in US have a two digit IQ. Not everybody can be a white collar outsourcing manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wait... what? How do you pay tariffs with taxes?
    Yeah, the definitions don't match up somewhere in that statement.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I always thought tariffs was spelled with 2 Rs.

Hmm, you learn something new every day..

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    An American factory worker cannot compete with a Chinese factory worker for a number of reasons. China has low safety standards, poor environmental protection regulations, and a Chinese worker can live on $20/month. Those things are impossible in the US. So unless you would be willing to bring living standards to that of China, the competition will not be fair. And the education of an American worker can go only as far too. After all, half the people in US have a two digit IQ. Not everybody can be a white collar outsourcing manager.
    If that is the case, then we should be getting out of whatever industry those American factories are in, shouldn't we? It's not "unfair" that other people will do work for less money than you will.