User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Tariffs

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    As a nation-state, why should we not have a native automotive industry, regardless of the methods taken to sustain it? I don't want a policy discussion of how to keep the industry.
    Why should we?

Edit: Oh, and we are a state-nation, though I suppose that doesn't matter in the above context.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 11-16-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: self-evident

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Why should we?

Edit: Oh, and we are a state-nation, though I suppose that doesn't matter in the above context.
    Nah ah, can't do that

MBTI
    ESFJ

As a nation-state, why should we not have a native automotive industry, regardless of the methods taken to sustain it? I don't want a policy discussion of how to keep the industry.
    Because you don't have industries for the sake of having industries. You have them because they are productive and provide jobs that you don't need to subsidize. Why shouldn't Fiji have a native automotive industry?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Why shouldn't the US have an automotive industry?
    I didn't say that we shouldn't. It's not a matter of "should" or "shouldn't". It's a matter of focusing on what we do well; allocating resources efficiently (something that market does well in most cases). If American automotive manufacturers cannot compete on equal footing with foreign automotive manufacturers, we should not prop them up. I have no emotional attachment to any sort of American auto industry any more than I have an emotional attachment to any sort of American television manufacturing industry (insert any other industry you choose).

My personal opinion is that the US is capable of competing with foreign automotive manufacturers. That's just not what happened, and I think governmental policy is to blame. Over time, the Big 3 became dependent on the crutches afforded them through protectionism (tariffs). When those crutches were scaled back, they could no longer stand.

In a way, you could argue that protectionism had a negative long-term impact on the American automotive industry.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Because you don't have industries for the sake of having industries. You have them because they are productive and provide jobs that you don't need to subsidize. Why shouldn't Fiji have a native automotive industry?
    I guess we never should have had railroads in this country, then.

MBTI
    YaYa

One of the arguements for tariffs are to protect strategically sensitive domestic industries.

i.e. we wouldn't want to outsource security of our ports to a Saudi corporation, basic infrastructure like National Gaurd, Utilities, etc.

But yeah, tariffs are just a hammers or screwdrivers. You can't really disagree with a tool, just how the tool is used.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I guess we never should have had railroads in this country, then.
    Not paid for by government.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The national defense argument is backwards.

If you want to promote peace, then fewer tariffs (and quotas) are the way to go. Trade partners have a greater incentive to avoid violence.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Not paid for by government.
    The railroads in this country were paid for by the state governments. And each government built a different gauge rail line stifling free trade for far too long.

But recently we have changed to a single gauge and abolished our tariffs.

Works like a treat.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The railroads in this country were paid for by the state governments. And each government built a different gauge rail line stifling free trade for far too long.

But recently we have changed to a single gauge and abolished our tariffs.

Works like a treat.
    Well, that works out nicely.