User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 93

Thread: Tariffs

  1. #21
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah, Japanese are more like "BANZAI!!!" and the Chinese are more like "YOU PAY NOW!!!"
    The Chinese have a shit culture. Very undeveloped and not just because of Communism. I took a whole class on this one Chinese novel that spans seven volumes written in the 18th century. Apparently, they had no literary tradition to match what we had in the West, even though their culture is so ancient and historical. This was the best they could do. It was essentially a Mexican tele-novella in Chinese. The major contributions they've made to culture took place before Christ.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #22
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The Chinese have a shit culture. Very undeveloped and not just because of Communism. I took a whole class on this one Chinese novel that spans seven volumes written in the 18th century. Apparently, they had no literary tradition to match what we had in the West, even though their culture is so ancient and historical. This was the best they could do. It was essentially a Mexican tele-novella in Chinese. The major contributions they've made to culture took place before Christ.
    I've had a dubious honor of visiting China mainland, and I wholeheartedly concur with what you say.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    It would be foolish not to protect strategically vital industries, such as those related to production of food, weapons, and energy.
    This is sort of twisting the argument, don't you think? There are plenty of industries that don't fall into these categories that are subject to tariffs. Most tariffs are put into place for political reasons (special interests), alone, not because of any broad economic benefits. Tariffs benefit the domestic industry, not the consumer. The consumers are fed a line of BS about national security or pride, or whatever else politicians/marketing firms/etc can make up to try push forward their agenda.

    US autoworkers want their jobs protected, so they want tariffs so Americans have to pay more for (superior) foreign automobiles, making the garbage the Big 3 peddle more competitive. Personally, I don't see any reason the US should manufacture automobiles. The arguments most people make in favor of a US auto industry are highly subjective (almost emotional in nature) and short-sighted. This is just one example.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #24
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is sort of twisting the argument, don't you think? There are plenty of industries that don't fall into these categories that are subject to tariffs. Most tariffs are put into place for political reasons (special interests), alone, not because of any broad economic benefits. Tariffs benefit the domestic industry, not the consumer. The consumers are fed a line of BS about national security or pride, or whatever else politicians/marketing firms/etc can make up to try push forward their agenda.

    US autoworkers want their jobs protected, so they want tariffs so Americans have to pay more for (superior) foreign automobiles, making the garbage the Big 3 peddle more competitive. Personally, I don't see any reason the US should manufacture automobiles. The arguments most people make in favor of a US auto industry are highly subjective (almost emotional in nature) and short-sighted. This is just one example.
    Oh I don't want anyone to think that I am a big supporter of tariffs. There a lot of bullshit tariffs out there. I was just pointing out that tariffs have their usefulness, but I would never dispute the fact that they are frequently abused.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #25
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Oh I don't want anyone to think that I am a big supporter of tariffs. There a lot of bullshit tariffs out there. I was just pointing out that tariffs have their usefulness, but I would never dispute the fact that they are frequently abused.
    Yeah, tariffs are just a tool. It would be a bad idea to encourage them wholeheartedly, however.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  6. #26
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is sort of twisting the argument, don't you think? There are plenty of industries that don't fall into these categories that are subject to tariffs. Most tariffs are put into place for political reasons (special interests), alone, not because of any broad economic benefits. Tariffs benefit the domestic industry, not the consumer. The consumers are fed a line of BS about national security or pride, or whatever else politicians/marketing firms/etc can make up to try push forward their agenda.

    US autoworkers want their jobs protected, so they want tariffs so Americans have to pay more for (superior) foreign automobiles, making the garbage the Big 3 peddle more competitive. Personally, I don't see any reason the US should manufacture automobiles. The arguments most people make in favor of a US auto industry are highly subjective (almost emotional in nature) and short-sighted. This is just one example.
    Why shouldn't the US have an automotive industry?

  7. #27
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why shouldn't the US have an automotive industry?
    If it takes government bailouts, cheap loans, and tariffs to keep them in business, it's better in the long-term to let the industry die. Other countries can do the job more efficiently, so they should. We can refocus on other industries in which Americans are more competitive.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #28
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If it takes government bailouts, cheap loans, and tariffs to keep them in business, it's better in the long-term to let the industry die. Other countries can do the job more efficiently, so they should. We can refocus on other industries in which Americans are more competitive.
    That didn't answer the question. Why shouldn't the US have an automotive industry? I don't care about policy in this circumstance.

  9. #29
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    That didn't answer the question. Why shouldn't the US have an automotive industry? I don't care about policy in this circumstance.
    That DID answer the question. If the automotive industry CAN compete and be efficient under its own power, then there is no reason not to have one (unless no one wants to make cars here anymore). If the automotive industry cannot survive under its own power, then it should be allowed to die. Propping up a failing industry does widespread damage to the economy as a whole.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #30
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That DID answer the question. If the automotive industry CAN compete and be efficient under its own power, then there is no reason not to have one (unless no one wants to make cars here anymore). If the automotive industry cannot survive under its own power, then it should be allowed to die. Propping up a failing industry does widespread damage to the economy as a whole.
    As a nation-state, why should we not have a native automotive industry, regardless of the methods taken to sustain it? I don't want a policy discussion of how to keep the industry.

Similar Threads

  1. Tariffs
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 02:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO