User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Tariffs

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If that is the case, then we should be getting out of whatever industry those American factories are in, shouldn't we? It's not "unfair" that other people will do work for less money than you will.
    We should do whatever is most beneficial for us - whether that's a transition to a new industry, tariffs, or the combination of both.

Are you familiar with the concept of "predatory pricing"? In case you are not, it is a tactic where one competitor bleeds the other out of business by undercutting prices long enough to sink the competiton so he can jack up the prices once the competitor is bankrupt and monopoly is obtained.

The Chinese are manipulating their currency and are trying to become the world's manufacturing center. Once they obtain enough market share to manipulate the prices, they will do exactly that.

Personally, I think the supposed benefits of a true free market is a pipe dream, just like communism.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    We should do whatever is most beneficial for us - whether that's a transition to a new industry, tariffs, or the combination of both.

Are you familiar with the concept of "predatory pricing"? In case you are not, it is a tactic where one competitor bleeds the other out of business by undercutting prices long enough to sink the competiton so he can jack up the prices once the competitor is bankrupt and monopoly is obtained.

The Chinese are manipulating their currency and are trying to become the world's manufacturing center. Once they obtain enough market share to manipulate the prices, they will do exactly that.

Personally, I think the supposed benefits of a true free market is a pipe dream, just like communism.

If you can undercut prices so low and for so long that other companies cannot compete, then there are already extremely high barriers to entry already and the industry is not competitive enough. Besides, even having a near-monopoly doesn't necessarily mean that prices will go up. The price of oil fell over 90% during the time in which Standard Oil had a near-monopoly in the industry.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Australia abandoned tariffs before the rest of the world. And we have had uninterrupted growth for eighteen years, even through this present financial crisis.

And although we are only twenty million, we have the fifteenth largest economy in the world.

So rather than being a pipe dream, the free market is a rich reality here.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you can undercut prices so low and for so long that other companies cannot compete, then there are already extremely high barriers to entry already and the industry is not competitive enough. Besides, even having a near-monopoly doesn't necessarily mean that prices will go up. The price of oil fell over 90% during the time in which Standard Oil had a near-monopoly in the industry.
    Some industries will always have high barriers to entry. Not all of them revolve around making imaginary widgets discussed in econ 101. For example, the production of heavy, high tech machinery such as airplanes.

It would be foolish not to protect strategically vital industries, such as those related to production of food, weapons, and energy.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Some industries will always have high barriers to entry. Not all of them revolve around making imaginary widgets discussed in econ 101. For example, the production of heavy, high tech machinery such as airplanes.

It would be foolish not to protect strategically vital industries, such as those related to production of food, weapons, and energy.
    I don't have much of a nationalistic viewpoint on this. Obviously, things necessary for national defense and things that could be horrifically dangerous (infectious diseases, radioactive material, and so on).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't have much of a nationalistic viewpoint on this. Obviously, things necessary for national defense and things that could be horrifically dangerous (infectious diseases, radioactive material, and so on).
    National defense and economics are intertwined.

US didn't beat USSR with army and weapons. US was victorious due to financial circumstances.

MBTI
    ENTP

National defense and economics are intertwined.
    We have to make the world safe for market capitalism.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    We have to make the world safe for market capitalism.
    The poor quality of Chinese made products disappoints and infuriates me.

Maybe if we drop an atomic bomb on them they'll start making quality shit like the Japanese.

MBTI
    ENTP

The poor quality of Chinese made products disappoints and infuriates me.

Maybe if we drop an atomic bomb on them they'll start making quality shit like the Japanese.
    The Chinese don't have the cutthroat, repressed killer instinct to be like the Japanese. Japanese quality is sublimated desire to rape and pillage.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The Chinese don't have the cutthroat, repressed killer instinct to be like the Japanese. Japanese quality is sublimated desire to rape and pillage.
    Yeah, Japanese are more like "BANZAI!!!" and the Chinese are more like "YOU PAY NOW!!!"

(something about Synarch's presence makes me unable to hold a serious discussion)