User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    The media is focusing on the question, "Did the stimulus work?" to avoid the more important question of, "How does the effectiveness of the stimulus compare to the effectiveness of other possible uses of the money?" (Other uses could be tax cuts, tax rebate checks, additional specific industry-focused spending similar to "cash for clunkers," etc.) Whether or not the stimulus worked is irrelevant if there was an alternative that would have been twice as efective and cost half as much.
    One of the problems with tax cuts during a recession is that no one spends, relatively speaking.

Everyone is scared so they save their money for the upcoming rainy day.

Thats why government projects were needed to get someone in the economy to actually start spending. Cause a scared shitless population will more likely run-on-the-bank than spend their tax credits.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It doesn't matter what happens. People who didn't like the stimulus will find something to complain about. Either it wasn't effective, or it was too effective (as in the cash for clunkers situation). People who don't like the current administration can make up a fault even if there is none.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    It doesn't matter what happens. People who didn't like the stimulus will find something to complain about. Either it wasn't effective, or it was too effective (as in the cash for clunkers situation). People who don't like the current administration can make up a fault even if there is none.
    Mentioning the current administration is a red herring. TARP was passed during the Bush administration, yet most of the same people were crying foul.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    The media is focusing on the question, "Did the stimulus work?" to avoid the more important question of, "How does the effectiveness of the stimulus compare to the effectiveness of other possible uses of the money?" (Other uses could be tax cuts, tax rebate checks, additional specific industry-focused spending similar to "cash for clunkers," etc.) Whether or not the stimulus worked is irrelevant if there was an alternative that would have been twice as efective and cost half as much.
    Well, since most of the stimulus packages were put together to favor Wall Street, I seriously doubt they were maximally effective for the US, as a whole.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTx

I'd argue that the purpose of the stimulus was an emotional one, to convince the public that capital is still moving and to buy, hire, etc. Writing off big cheques puts some oil on the gears but does not fill the tank.

It's more or less impossible to guage how the public would have reacted without it. But it would be possible to determine if the money spent was done wisely. I think Obama made a push to document the use of the simulus but I'm unsure how the american public reacted to the effort.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Mentioning the current administration is a red herring. TARP was passed during the Bush administration, yet most of the same people were crying foul.
    I'm not counting people on this forum. I am talking about people I encounter in RL. I know plenty of Republicans that were silent about the first stimulus, but constantly complained after the second stimulus came.

You can add most conservative pundits to that list as well.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I'm not counting people on this forum. I am talking about people I encounter in RL. I know plenty of Republicans that were silent about the first stimulus, but constantly complained after the second stimulus came.

You can add most conservative pundits to that list as well.
    Most partisan Republicans are complete idiots, so that doesn't surprise me.