First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

One of my math professors from a few semesters ago is a Russian immigrant. He's been in the States for twelve years, but he studied in Russia until he came here for his doctorate. He's one of the best math teachers I've ever had. Some people hate him because he's "weird" but I made an A in his class and he made it easy for me to learn, and I'm not a math person at all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

The USSR certainly has... limited admirability. But the specific case of this math community intrigued me. It's known to anyone that follows my politics that there areas in which I am very doubtful of capitalist or classical liberal economics. One of the areas where this is the strongest is in matters of scholastics, education, communications, and media. I suppose, in general, matters of information. So I look for alternatives where I can, and am sometimes surprised to find them in otherwise intellect supressing societies.
    The USSR has done horrific things to its people, and it's absolutely nighmarish I would never argue that point for a second, but then again I wouldn't exactly call it an "otherwise intellect surpressing society." They produced some stellar ballerinas, gymnasts, and chess players too. Plus, I used to talk to my Russian prof all of the time, and he told me that most people he knew there speak three languages. He does, one of which is obviously English. That's pretty impressive considering the fact that they use the Cyrillic alphabet in Russia. Learning a whole new alphabet is even harder than just learning another language.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Back when I was studying math in grad school, the most brilliant grad student I encountered was a refugee from Bosnia. He almost had his PhD when the fighting started over there, and so he came to the US. Not knowing English he worked as a dishwasher for a couple of years before he could get into a grad school over here and start again.

He was a humble man and a brilliant mathematician. I will not be surprised to find that given time he will achieve a fair amount of recognition among math circles. He wasn't from the USSR, but he was still from behind the Iron Curtain. I'd suspect that the situation in Bosnia was similar to the USSR.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com