First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There are many forms of democracy. You seem to just be referring to direct democracy.
    So do any of them deviate from the idea that the country is run by popular opinion?

Is this just another one of those useless divisions which only divide in the same way that minutes divide degrees but is ignored by everyone except those with a need for such refinement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    What is this "pure ideal" you speak of?
    The idea that those in office serve those who vote for them, the idea that they are responsible to the voting populace. Something missing in all incarnations I'm aware of.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    That's the pain in using quotations as a baseline for a philosophy - they're often out of context and are too simplified to be of any real worth.

As far as your suggestion goes, democracy offers the greatest economic opportunities available in any contemporary form of government. Whether this allows for a collective "rule of the ignorant" is dismissive of the offered elevation in quality of life this creates.
    I believe it forms a parallel with the concept of critical mass. The idea that one person is an intelligent and reasonable being but people are reactionary, stupid and ignorant bunch of sheep. Ergo democracy is run by the sheep not the rational individuals.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I believe it forms a parallel with the concept of critical mass. The idea that one person is an intelligent and reasonable being but people are reactionary, stupid and ignorant bunch of sheep. Ergo democracy is run by the sheep not the rational individuals.
    Likely correct. Still the best available.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yup. And we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I fail to record any suggestion of anything different.

It still reminds me of Lazarus Long though
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
    Democracy is based upon the assumption that a million men are wiser than one man. How's that again? I missed something.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Yup. And we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    But equally we should not let things stand without examination lest they degrade into assumption and traditionalism where good thinking and wisdom once prevailed.

Nothing is beyond question, including that democracy is a bunch of hooey who's greatest success is to placate you into thinking you have some part in the direction the machine takes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I fail.
    No worries, my friend.

Nothing is beyond question, including that democracy is a bunch of hooey who's greatest success is to placate you into thinking you have some part in the direction the machine takes.
    Whenever you have a range of ideas, it's necessary to properly separate the wheat from the chaff.

I thought you loved the Bible.

MBTI
    INTP

But equally we should not let things stand without examination lest they degrade into assumption and traditionalism where good thinking and wisdom once prevailed.

You're just ignoring the fact that people almost always become more free and prosperous once their nation adopts a form of democracy.

And you're offering no alternative.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Whenever you have a range of ideas, it's necessary to properly separate the wheat from the chaff.

I thought you loved the Bible.
    The Bible is okay with me, it's the idolaters I can't stand.
    You're just ignoring the fact that people almost always become more free and prosperous once their nation adopts a form of democracy.

And you're offering no alternative.
    Offering an alternative is stage two and you're providing inertia against ever reaching stage two. If there is no objective truth then there is no objective perfect idea, concept, belief nor system. Ergo to advance, all must be accountable.

Also being critical of a systems faults is identifying a problem, saying that you can't identify a problem until you have a solution is just daft.

MBTI
    INTP

Offering an alternative is stage two and you're providing inertia against ever reaching stage two. If there is no objective truth then there is no objective perfect idea, concept, belief nor system. Ergo to advance, all must be accountable.

Also being critical of a systems faults is identifying a problem, saying that you can't identify a problem until you have a solution is just daft.
    The point is, is that you have no stage 2 or alternative in mind. Everything about government is up for debate, as it should be, but not many rational people are arguing to abolish our liberal democracy.