User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Democracy= Ignorance?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    At some point a hypothesis becomes so consistently predictive that it is accepted as the closest equivalent of fact for something that is not directly measurable. That is called theory.

Being killed by the thug takes a way a person's ability to engage in the infinite possibilities of their future life, and you'd say this isn't a primary effect?
    Any student of science should be capable of determining that this depends entirely on who goes first, what effect lands first... amongst many, many other factors...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Any student of science should be capable of determining that this depends entirely on who goes first, what effect lands first... amongst many, many other factors...
    When determining a causative link, on the other hand?

Individuals are tyrannical. Thus, governments are tyrannical because they are run by individuals.

Now, this is the baffling part - How does one determine why one individual's rights supersede the rights of others? How do we judge the value of an individual over the next?

One might say that the only way we can even hope to establish order is by conciliating certain common laws that the majority can agree with. Supposedly, this prevents individuals from being destructive to other individuals. (This is the general concept of Democracy).

However, in modern society, many people transcend democratic legislation via wealth or status. These factors are not arbitrary to the inner worth of a person, and therefore, I think they are invalid and immoral. Likewise, the base concept of Democracy is immoral because it mocks the individual needs of human beings and forces them to conform to a generalized standard.

Our political problems do not lie within the realm of politics, but within wealth and status. The United States is not a Democracy, but a polyarchy and an oligopoly.

But seriously, I gave up on politics a long time ago. So not am I only dispassionate, I'm probably ill informed.

Alexander the Terrible Array yenom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post

There's not much "ideal" about monarchy... If I had to choose, i'd probably pick a Confucian model. A country needs some sort of hand-picked governing council. Based on merit, not popularity. I don't think the people should have much influence over it, because they lack merit. Meritocratic dictatorship.

I am not saying that those over the people should oppress them. Hell no. People should be kept in line when it comes to important things like cooperation instead of competition and a bunch of other things like controlled procreation(otherwise the world will become over-populated in no-time).

Other than that, it wouldn't be much different from a modern western society.
    It would in fact be pretty closely related to what China is evolving into.
    I am not getting this? So you are saying that a government should have the power to remove people's organs when those people decided that they hate the government. Isn't that good government?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.