User Tag List

Thread: The Micronation

MBTI
    ENTP

Default The Micronation

I would like to create a micronation.
    These are the basic things I - nay! WE need to do according to WikiHow. I have edited their list to fit our needs.

1. Find territory for our micronation. Most micronationalists use houses, land no one wants, or land on other planets. Some micronations exist on land unclaimed by other countries because of a loophole in a treaty. The Republic of Indian Stream, for example, was on land between the U.S. and Canada but is not under the jurisdiction of either because of ambiguous terms in the Treaty of Paris.
    If we can't find land, though, we could make some! One millionaire activist piled sand onto a reef located in the Pacific Ocean south of Fiji and created an artificial island to start the Republic of Minerva. But... we're probably not rich enough to make land, so we could just make some up - some micronations claim land on other planets. I suggest we get on this before everything good gets taken up!

2. Declare our independence. Once we have land, a declaration of independence will serve to claim that territory. Keep in mind, however, that actually sending our declaration of independence to gain recognition can lead to legal or military action if anyone disputes that claim. For example, when The Republic of Minerva issued a declaration of independence in letters to neighboring countries, the neighbors were very perturbed, and one of the countries decided to send their people to the island to take down the Minervan flag. Of course, we could still function like an independent nation without actually declaring independence... like Taiwan does!

3. Set up a government and constitution. This is a good time to consider why we're starting a country, and how we would like it to turn out. This is where most of the fun is.

4. Acquire citizens. I could have only myself, but I am offering an invitation to all of you as Charter Citizens! Together we must decide what we require of our citizens. Do they have to pass a test? Abide by certain laws? And what will they have to identify themselves as citizens of our country - A passport? Driver's license? Badge?

We need to decide on symbols for our country. We should have a flag, a coat of arms, and a few other ways to represent ourselves. Once we have symbols chosen, we can issue stamps, medals, and currency, if we'd like. Some micronations go as far as inventing their own culture and language. Of course, we might be content to just create our own letterhead. After all, it's our country!

What do ya say?!
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    SEXY

I'm in. I think the acquiring of territory is the hardest part. We need to think of a plan to achieve that.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I would like to create a micronation.
    These are the basic things I - nay! WE need to do according to WikiHow. I have edited their list to fit our needs.

If we can't find land, though, we could make some! One millionaire activist piled sand onto a reef located in the Pacific Ocean south of Fiji and created an artificial island to start the Republic of Minerva. But... we're probably not rich enough to make land, so we could just make some up - some micronations claim land on other planets. I suggest we get on this before everything good gets taken up!
    We need to team up with this guy named Lex Luther. He knows how to use some kind of strange radioactive crystals to essentially create matter out of energy. We'd have all the land we wanted if we could get him on our side. I'll be on top of this one. And by that, I do mean I'll sleep with him if necessary.

2. Declare our independence. Once we have land, a declaration of independence will serve to claim that territory. Keep in mind, however, that actually sending our declaration of independence to gain recognition can lead to legal or military action if anyone disputes that claim. For example, when The Republic of Minerva issued a declaration of independence in letters to neighboring countries, the neighbors were very perturbed, and one of the countries decided to send their people to the island to take down the Minervan flag. Of course, we could still function like an independent nation without actually declaring independence... like Taiwan does!
    If we go to war, can we do it viking-style? Grizzly beards, horned helmets, spears, and MEAD!

4. Acquire citizens. I could have only myself, but I am offering an invitation to all of you as Charter Citizens! Together we must decide what we require of our citizens. Do they have to pass a test? Abide by certain laws? And what will they have to identify themselves as citizens of our country - A passport? Driver's license? Badge?
    Would we have to denounce our current citizenship? I'd only do this if your country absolutely pwned mine.

We need to decide on symbols for our country. We should have a flag, a coat of arms, and a few other ways to represent ourselves. Once we have symbols chosen, we can issue stamps, medals, and currency, if we'd like. Some micronations go as far as inventing their own culture and language. Of course, we might be content to just create our own letterhead. After all, it's our country!
    CAN IT HAVE UNICORNS IN IT!??! I'll be the graphic artist!! Pick me, pick me!!

Either way, count me in.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I always kinda wanted to claim Machias Seal Island for myself and make it a 20-acre libertopia.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I'm so in.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Can we make an indigenous religion for it, too?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP

Of course, we could still function like an independent nation without actually declaring independence... like Taiwan does!
    Actually, the operate on the premise that they are the legitimate government of all of China, hence why their official name is the Republic of China.

Anyway, if you want to form your own nation, here would be my list of suggestions:

1. If you pick a place within the borders of any significant nation, you'll just get your ass kicked once you're annoying enough (or don't pay taxes) to make them care. As such, I'd recommend staying out of the Northern Hemisphere pretty much, since the only places you could take are places where even you wouldn't survive. (Like tiny arctic islands.)

2. Little islands in the pacific/around africa, would be good bets, but really....go for the pacific. Africans tend to get pissed off and kill you eventually, I don't think Fiji will care if you take over a random uninhabited island that's not part of a current nation. (There's plenty of these.) Alternatively, and more safely, you could just buy a damn island, I'm sure they don't want much for them.

3. You need people! Slavery is a good idea in theory, but they tend to revolt too much. A cult is the way to go, possibly something like the FLDS where you can have multiple wives. This way, you can produce the entire next generation of islanders in your likeness. **Note** Substitute in a ruling group of the cult instead of a personal cult if this is for all TC members.

4. Development. This is a big sticking point for a lot of micronations (see: Africa). You need a way to have some income, because outhouses and stick huts, get old pretty quickly. Hopefully, the island you've picked, is scenic in some way. Build a tourist resort, make sure it's isolated from your brainwashed followers, and an airstrip. With luck, people will find it to be an undiscovered paradise, and you'll be raking in the money, and be able to afford all those nice comforts.

5. Success. Congratulations! You have your own micronation, with everything you could want.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    If we go to war, can we do it viking-style? Grizzly beards, horned helmets, spears, and MEAD!
    I'll bring the mead.
    Everyone is a case study.