User Tag List

Default 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall!

Germany Celebrates Memory of Berlin Wall Falling - TIME

To me of course the whole event is very personal since I am originally from East Germany and if it hadn't been for the fall of the wall I could never have moved to a Western country (in my case the UK), travelled as extensively as I have and most of the people I know now I would have never met.

It's not all sunshine since there is high unemployment in East Germany, after the wall came down most people lost their jobs and had to move to other parts of Germany (for example the town I come from had 40.000 inhabitants in 1989, now it has around 20.000 since all the young people are leaving)

Still, it was one of the pure moments of happiness in history when the wall came down so surprisingly and peacefully without even one person being killed.

I love the YouTube videos:

YouTube - Moments in History - The Fall of the Berlin Wall

YouTube - The opening of the Wall at Berlin Bornholmer Strasse 1989

MBTI
    ENTP

Cool.
    You can call me Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Cool.
    Indeed.

Sniffles

How old were you when the Wall came down?

I was too young to remember the events; but certainly the Cold War has become a major area of historical interest for me since then.

MBTI
    INTP

I was eleven; despite my youth, I remember that the Cold War took up much of my thoughts and shaped my identity to a large extent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

The Cold War definitely shaped my ideas of the world when I was younger. The B52's flew over our house every day at the same time, so that was a very real reminder of the dangers that were present during that time. (Not to mention the fact our state is basically a big missile silo.)

My friend told me a story about how he went hunting in the breaks one time, and the hunted on this guy's land, a friend of a friend that they knew. They went into his house, and he had elk fence all around the perimeter, and sitting on the coffee table pointed out the big picture window was a loaded .50 cal. machine gun. The guy said it was "for when the Russians come." If you've been to any of the more remote areas around here, you'd know he was serious.

That was definitely a different time. People took nuclear threats seriously. Unlike now, where it's like if Iran gets nukes they'll just throw up their hands and say oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Still, it was one of the pure moments of happiness in history when the wall came down so surprisingly and peacefully without even one person being killed.
    Very true. The Cold War wasn't peaceful, but the defining moment of the end of the Cold War with the wall falling was very peaceful. Definitely a unique experience in history.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    How old were you when the Wall came down?
    I was 8. I was too young to understand what was going on politically or ideologically but East Germany before the fall of the wall just had a different feel to it, I can still remember that. And certain childhood things, Polish cartoons we used to watch, how we learnt to play chess after school, sung friendship songs for the Russians and read stories in our school books about the Communists being the friends of children.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Polish cartoons we used to watch
    Did you learn any Polish form that? I actually have seen any Polish cartoons. I'm more familar with Russian ones.