User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh thank God.

MBTI
    ?

I watched an embarrassing amount of C-Span coverage today

Now onto the Senate...

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Its really sad when the richest country in the world is the only country in the OECD that still dosen't have a form of Universal Healthcare. Its also even sadder that people who will directly benefit from this scheme oppose this because they have fallen to propoganda and don't know what exactly they are opposing/supporting.

Its really great that the house has passed the bill (very very narrowly unfortuantley) but passing this in the Senate is going to a lot harder.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    Its really sad when the richest country in the world is the only country in the OECD that still dosen't have a form of Universal Healthcare. Its also even sadder that people who will directly benefit from this scheme oppose this because they have fallen to propoganda and don't know what exactly they are opposing/supporting.

Its really great that the house has passed the bill (very very narrowly unfortuantley) but passing this in the Senate is going to a lot harder.
    The world's richest country is up to its eyeballs in debt due to a mismanaged war and unchecked financial speculation.

Now "universal health care" might sound a lot nicer than "war", but I'm sure the gov't will figure out a way to fuck that up too.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Good news. It will most likely pass the Senate too. It's been since 1965 that major health reform has passed, a long time overdue.

And even people that don't agree with universal coverage (well in this case, 96% coverage) or a public option, they should still be pleased that the insurance industry will no longer be able to deny them coverage because of pre-existing health problems, which was a ridiculous practice.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Wow, I'm genuinely shocked that such a measure has passed the House! I never would have expected that measure to be successful!

Before I comment on the policy, however, I will have to read all 2,000 pages of text, and that might take a while....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What is actually in this version of the bill?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

^^^ That's what I mean! Before I get overly ecstatic about what people SAY is in it, I want to read it for myself.

Apparently over 30 million Americans without health care coverage will receive it via this bill. But how exactly does that happen? Is it feasible? How much will it cost? How will the costs be covered? What are the potential benefits and risks? And more importantly, what is in the SMALL PRINT?!

We need to look at this objectively before we get carried away by our feelings. Surely I believe everyone has the right to go to a doctor when he/she is sick. However, I also want to make sure that this is not just another bill that lawmakers want to pass in order to pat themselves on the back and say, "YIPPEE WE WILL GET ELECTED NEXT YEAR BECAUSE WE PASSED HEALTH CARE REFORM AND NO ONE EVER BOTHERS TO READ 2,000 PAGES OF LEGISLATION ANYWAY!"

Step-by-step, folks. Let's see what is REALLY in there.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Apparently over 30 million Americans without health care coverage will receive it via this bill. But how exactly does that happen?
    By expanding Medicaid eligibility and creating a government-run insurance option.

Is it feasible? How much will it cost?
    It's estimated to reduce federal deficits by about $104 billion over a decade by the CBO. The House bill is $1.2 trillion over 10 years.

How will the costs be covered?
    By cutting Medicare's projected spending and a tax surcharge of 5.4 percent on income over $500,000 in the case of individuals and $1 million for families.

What are the potential benefits and risks?
    DEATH PANELS

And more importantly, what is in the SMALL PRINT?!
    Mostly legislative-speak. There's nothing particularly wrong with a bill being 2,000 pages.