User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 166

  1. #151
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never quite understood the electrical differences. That would seem to be an area in which uniformity throughout the industrialized world would make sense. The construction here in L.A. seems to be pretty solid, but I am sure my apartment complex had to meet strict standards because of the earthquake threat here.
    Many homes in Florida use masonry, rather than 2x4s, for the outer walls because the building codes require it due to the hurricane threat.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #152
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We don't. It's an individual decision. People usually assume that people generally WANT to do well/better.
    So why is it efficient to distribute resources by productivity, then?

  3. #153
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Do you even know what volts measure?
    if comparing a cable to a water pipe, voltage is akin to the pressure.

    Amperage is what kills you, not voltage. Otherwise, there would be far more deaths from tazers.

  4. #154
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Many homes in Florida use masonry, rather than 2x4s, for the outer walls because the building codes require it due to the hurricane threat.
    the urban building i live in has survived 2 wars. mind you, the walls are half a meter thick.

  5. #155
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    if comparing a cable to a water pipe, voltage is akin to the pressure.

    Amperage is what kills you, not voltage. Otherwise, there would be far more deaths from tazers.
    Given this, what's the point of overhauling a system that's effective for the majority of daily uses?

  6. #156
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    if comparing a cable to a water pipe, voltage is akin to the pressure.

    Amperage is what kills you, not voltage. Otherwise, there would be far more deaths from tazers.
    Tasers do not function like a household AC line. They aren't your typical sine wave. They are made to pulse, specifically so they don't affect your heart. They also have current limiting aspects. Household lines only have circuit breakers, set well above the level that would send your heart into fibrillation (as low as 60mA).

    Tasers have a finite amount of energy they can send into their target. AC lines effectively have an infinite amount of energy available. You are correct that current is what kills, not voltage. But you're not looking at the differences between 120VAC and 240VAC, and how that applies to your argument (240VAC is more dangerous than 120VAC).

    The difference between 120 VAC and 240VAC systems is: 120VAC more expensive (needs thicker wires), but safer. 240VAC is cheaper, that's the advantage.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #157
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Well, some libertarians believe that defense COULD be carried out by the free market. But you must acknowledge that libertarians believe in a smaller and much less interventionist military. That is pretty much a prerequisite, considering how much our nation spends, the number of bases in foreign countries, etc.

    Corn syrup isn't really any worse than cane sugar, and I get very little sugar in my diet. The majority of it comes from fruit/fruit juices. What the average American eats is not the only type of food available. If you care about the food you eat, you have amazing options and variety in the United States, and it's not super-difficult to find things.

    I never quite understood the electrical differences. That would seem to be an area in which uniformity throughout the industrialized world would make sense. The construction here in L.A. seems to be pretty solid, but I am sure my apartment complex had to meet strict standards because of the earthquake threat here.
    If corn syrup is not any worse, why does the eu forbid large scale importation of it? Why doesnt mexico use it? Think about it, corn syrup is cheaper than cane sugar, yet mexico of all places still wont use it, and they eat plenty of corn! You say there isnt much difference between cane sugar and corn syrup, but there isnt much of a difference between someone with aids and without.

    While the uk does have a different power conenctor than the eu, we all use standardized connectors for 3 phase power. IN the states, it is a crap shoot as to what hookups one will find when trying to tap into a grid for high power and one will very often have to screw or clamp bare wire to tap in. Over ehre, the 16 amp 3phase (equivalent to 3 circuits) plug will simply not fit into the 32A (6 circuits) socket and the same goes for 63A. Anything greater than 63A 3-phase is quite rare and specialized.

    a 16A 3-phase cable in europe weighs less than a 30 amp single phase cable in the states, but delivers about 3 times the power.

  8. #158
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Given this, what's the point of overhauling a system that's effective for the majority of daily uses?
    copper aint light and you need more of it for the same amount of power at a lower voltage

  9. #159
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    So why is it efficient to distribute resources by productivity, then?
    First of all, because it's not up to government to distribute resources. Second of all, it's a matter of creating value. From each as they choose, to each as they are chosen.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #160
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    If corn syrup is not any worse, why does the eu forbid large scale importation of it? Why doesnt mexico use it? Think about it, corn syrup is cheaper than cane sugar, yet mexico of all places still wont use it, and they eat plenty of corn! You say there isnt much difference between cane sugar and corn syrup, but there isnt much of a difference between someone with aids and without.
    This is retarded. Neither corn syrup nor cane sugar are good for people, and Mexico is one of the most obese countries in the world. The EU forbids large-scale importation of it because of political pressure from their farmers (who want to make more money) and irrational fears of "genetically modified" crops. The United States also uses corn syrup because of money. Our price of sugar is artificially higher than most of the rest of the world's, and the price of corn is kept artificially low. It's all a money issue, it has NOTHING to do with health.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. House Republicans released the American Health Care Act
    By Bush Did 9/11 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM
  2. Health Care Bill Passes
    By Oberon in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 369
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
  3. Should the US move towards universal health care?
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
  4. Chuck Norris does not Approve of the Health Care Reform.
    By Gewitter27 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 03:45 PM
  5. Single Payor Health Care
    By INTJMom in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO