User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why not?
    Well, for one, it's impossible. Many people, rich and poor alike, just don't give a fuck. Plus, you are eliminating the incentive to be as productive as possible. Helping people is great. Doing things for them and not letting them suffer consequences is making infants out of them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    For health, I would agree. However, I haven't seen much in the way of food quality nor construction being better in Europe.

The tap water in the Philadelphia suburbs where I grew up was delicious, as were all dairy products. Here in California, the produce is outstanding. And I've never been to a country with crappier food than the UK. France and Germany seemed to have delicious food everywhere.

You're asking the wrong contingent here. This question is completely rhetorical when addressed to libertarians.
    I know by default libertarians are against government spending, but you have to admit that protection to the state is viewed as slightly more necessary than programs which have an easier time being carried out by the "free market."

I'm also happy for you that you could enjoy philly's water. try washington dc. but better yet, enjoy all of that yummy corn syrup added to just about everything the average american eats.

as for construction quality, 2x4s and sheetrock are just not as good as thick masonry. The electrical standards in teh states are also quite interesting. Adopting to 230v current with standardized connectors and the metric system would benefit america greatly, but that is admittedly off topic.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Well, for one, it's impossible. Many people, rich and poor alike, just don't give a fuck. Plus, you are eliminating the incentive to be as productive as possible. Helping people is great. Doing things for them and not letting them suffer consequences is making infants out of them.
    Or... is it the reason why we have civilization in the first place?

Why do we need everyone to be as productive as possible?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Adopting to 230v...
    I would love to hear more about this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I would love to hear more about this.
    There's really no reason for it whatsoever.

MBTI
    ENTP

There's really no reason for it whatsoever.
    except that copper over here has twice the power capacity. While i realise that most of america has turned into an technically incompetent service economy, it matters a lot when building stuff or doing event production.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

except that copper over here has twice the power capacity. While i realise that most of america has turned into an technically incompetent service economy, it matters a lot when building stuff or doing event production.
    Have you not considered safety issues?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Do you even know what volts measure?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I know by default libertarians are against government spending, but you have to admit that protection to the state is viewed as slightly more necessary than programs which have an easier time being carried out by the "free market."
    Well, some libertarians believe that defense COULD be carried out by the free market. But you must acknowledge that libertarians believe in a smaller and much less interventionist military. That is pretty much a prerequisite, considering how much our nation spends, the number of bases in foreign countries, etc.

I'm also happy for you that you could enjoy philly's water. try washington dc. but better yet, enjoy all of that yummy corn syrup added to just about everything the average american eats.
    Corn syrup isn't really any worse than cane sugar, and I get very little sugar in my diet. The majority of it comes from fruit/fruit juices. What the average American eats is not the only type of food available. If you care about the food you eat, you have amazing options and variety in the United States, and it's not super-difficult to find things.

as for construction quality, 2x4s and sheetrock are just not as good as thick masonry. The electrical standards in teh states are also quite interesting. Adopting to 230v current with standardized connectors and the metric system would benefit america greatly, but that is admittedly off topic.
    I never quite understood the electrical differences. That would seem to be an area in which uniformity throughout the industrialized world would make sense. The construction here in L.A. seems to be pretty solid, but I am sure my apartment complex had to meet strict standards because of the earthquake threat here.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Or... is it the reason why we have civilization in the first place?

Why do we need everyone to be as productive as possible?
    We don't. It's an individual decision. People usually assume that people generally WANT to do well/better.