User Tag List

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Poli Sci/CS books for EFL students

I'm looking for some good (high-quality) but easy-to-read political science and cultural studies books for an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) class.

Although I have read several political science books before, during, and after my studies, most of them would probably be too advanced for non-native speakers.

Does anyone have any good ideas for political science/cultural studies books that would be appropriate for an upper-intermediate ESL class interested in the subject?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Sniffles

Politics for Dummies.

MBTI
    xNFP

Ah, yes, thanks! That book might be nice and easy! If you have any other ideas, just let me know.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Are you looking for academic texts or popular books with political themes? Fiction with political themes interwoven or nonfiction?

Have a ton of suggestions but knowing which of the above you're looking for would help narrow them down. Also, if you could talk briefly about the types of themes that you're looking for. Some options:
    Nuclear politics
    International conflict
    International economics
    Ethnic conflict
    Historical books on a particular country or region
    Gender and IR
    American Politics
    European Politics

MBTI
    xNFP

Half of the class would like to get into social work or teaching/academia, so they are really interested in issues regarding family, children, education, etc. The other half of the class is interested in politics and economics (I suppose we could say socio-political topics, cultural issues/differences, and political economics).

The group generally comprises young adults ages 18-24, and their level of English is mixed but relatively good overall (B2/C1 level, with some A2/B1 mixed in between, so intermediate).

Highly inquisitive, the class basically ran on its own today with Q + A and discussion. Never had such a wonderful class in all my teaching career. So I want something especially good for these guys.

Today we discussed the health care system, reform, how to pay for it, which lead us to debt and the economic crisis. WOW! Really I cannot stress how wonderful this class is. I love these guys, and I want to make sure I always have something extra special, enjoyable but challenging, for them!

Thanks for your interest and input!