User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    if they want to. i would recommend albino pride.
    I mean, albinos are white. I mean, we're going by skin color, right?

Unless you want to get picky. I mean, if white people have to be nuanced, I don't see why other groups aren't when it makes perfect sense for them to be.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm of english and scottish decent, I may want to celebrate that. Shit I may want to dress all preppy and play golf, but it doesn't really matter what I consider to be my culture. All that matters is that I consider it my culture and everyone should be respectful enough to accept that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Unique means unusual or not typical. In the US, white culture is the opposite of that, so it couldn't be further from the truth.

But yes, it has its own characteristics and distinctness.
    "Unique" actually means "being the only one" or "being without a like or equal." White culture WOULD be unique in this sense, assuming one believes in an overarching white culture to begin with, since it would be the only one.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I really do not see a unique "white culture" in the United States. Far too heterogeneous and widespread a slice of the population. I have far more in common with my black neighbor on this floor of my apartment than I do with a white truck driver from Kentucky.
    Yes, whites seem to be pretty heterogeneous in their culture in the US. Then again, so do Blacks, so do Native Americans, so do Asians, and so Latinos, and Indians...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Maybe we could define what our culture was if we could get the damn student union in the first place.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I mean, albinos are white. I mean, we're going by skin color, right?

Unless you want to get picky. I mean, if white people have to be nuanced, I don't see why other groups aren't when it makes perfect sense for them to be.

In the case of most African-Americans, the main reason is that they are unaware of their particular genetic ethnicities because of the slave trade. There is no way to trace their ancestry back past arrival in the United States (until recently; now they can use DNA for such things). For Latinos and Asians, it has usually been a matter of numbers. Many wouldn't have had sufficient numbers for organizations if they had a Mexican-American Society, a Guatemalan-American Society, a Filipino-American Society, etc. This starting to change. Moving to Los Angeles has taught me quite a bit about this, too. There are clear distinctions (and, often, tensions) between say, Mexican-Americans and Salvadoran-Americans, and Korean-Americans and Japanese-Americans. As the United States becomes a Caucasian-minority nation, I am sure that you will see more specialization amongst the "races."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Maybe we could define what our culture was if we could get the damn student union in the first place.
    Just go by nationality. It ends up making more sense that way anyway. There's German groups, Dutch groups....

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

They get a black union, we get a white union.

EDIT: sorry for steamrolling.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, whites seem to be pretty heterogeneous in their culture in the US. Then again, so do Blacks, so do Native Americans, so do Asians, and so Latinos, and Indians...
    No question there, but there also more shared experiences for minorities for many different reasons (history of slavery/reservation system, immigrant/first-generation-American status, etc). Personally, I am not big on any organization that puts such strong emphasis on group characteristics that outside of anyone's control. I look at people on an individual basis. However, it only makes sense that people with similar backgrounds and experiences would want to group together to share. It becomes problematic when it sets people apart, and that is the issue with most proposed white student organizations. Of course, in a publicly-funded university, I don't think that student organizations should be able to keep people out based on race, anyway, so it would be nice to see white students in the Black Student Union, black students in the Asian Student Union, and whatever, as long as they adhered to by-laws of the group. I would wonder if a White Student Union would allow members of other races and the multiracial a voice.

MBTI
    ENFJ

In the case of most African-Americans, the main reason is that they are unaware of their particular genetic ethnicities because of the slave trade. There is no way to trace their ancestry back past arrival in the United States (until recently; now they can use DNA for such things).
    Not all of them. Minnesota has a growing population of Somalian immigrants. Barack O'Bama is half-African because his dad was Kenyan, not because his dad was descended from African slaves brought to the US.

For Latinos and Asians, it has usually been a matter of numbers. Many wouldn't have had sufficient numbers for organizations if they had a Mexican-American Society, a Guatemalan-American Society, a Filipino-American Society, etc. This starting to change. Moving to Los Angeles has taught me quite a bit about this, too. There are clear distinctions (and, often, tensions) between say, Mexican-Americans and Salvadoran-Americans, and Korean-Americans and Japanese-Americans. As the United States becomes a Caucasian-minority nation, I am sure that you will see more specialization amongst the "races."
    Thank God.