User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 474

  1. #61
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    To be equal, they would need to step down several rungs on the ladder.
    Those who have succeeded should (in the interest of FAIRNESS) succeed less, so that others aren't made aware of their lack of position?

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's weak reasoning. Simple fairness would dictate that a school must allow a White Student Union if it allowed a Black Student Union or Asian Student Union or Latino Student Union. However, I'd be quite suspect of the motives of the White Student Union, should one start.
    That's like saying rich people should also receive welfare.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Those who have succeeded should (in the interest of FAIRNESS) succeed less, so that others aren't made aware of their lack of position?
    Minorities form support groups because they experience unique cultural issues. They feel inferior. The "pride" groups only serve to make them feel more accepted. What reason would there be for the power group to form such a group?

  4. #64
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    That's like saying rich people should also receive welfare.
    EXTREMELY weak reasoning.

    A) Rich people DO receive welfare (ever heard of bailouts?).

    B) No one should receive welfare, except in temporary emergencies.

    C) Welfare is based on income, which is a demonstrable criterion. There is no way to determine whether black students or Asian students need their own student union due to institutional racism or self-segregation. You are full of fail in this thread.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #65
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Minorities form support groups because they experience unique cultural issues. They feel inferior. The "pride" groups only serve to make them feel more accepted. What reason would there be for the power group to form such a group?
    Members of a privileged group can still feel inferior, especially when they are the numerical minority. Would you rail against a White Student Group at a traditionally African-American college?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #66
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Would you rail against a White Student Group at a traditionally African-American college?
    If a group tried to do that at Howard, they wouldn't make it out of the student registrar's office alive.

    It's because there aren't many, if any, white pride groups that aren't built around racism.

  7. #67
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If a group tried to do that at Howard, they wouldn't make it out of the student registrar's office alive.
    And the black students/administration that prevented such a group would be in the wrong.


    It's because there aren't many, if any, white pride groups that aren't built around racism.
    I am sure you'd have a few in Zimbabwe right about now. It would make sense in a country ruled by black racists.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #68
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Minorities form support groups because they experience unique cultural issues. They feel inferior. The "pride" groups only serve to make them feel more accepted. What reason would there be for the power group to form such a group?
    BECAUSE OUR CULTURE IS JUST AS UNIQUE AS YOURS.

    I hope I said that loud enough so you could hear it.

  9. #69
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    BECAUSE OUR CULTURE IS JUST AS UNIQUE AS YOURS.

    I hope I said that loud enough so you could hear it.

    There isn't a unifying white culture in the United States. And you can't be "just as unique" as someone else. You're either unique or you're not. "Somewhat unique" = "a little bit pregnant."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #70
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There isn't a unifying white culture in the United States. And you can't be "just as unique" as someone else. You're either unique or you're not. "Somewhat unique" = "a little bit pregnant."
    Thats not the point.

    The point is that we have every right to the same treatment as every other culture.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you believe there is such thing as evil?
    By ZNP-TBA in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 05:28 AM
  2. No such thing as a silly question .. Or is there???
    By Saslou in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
  3. [INTP] is there a such thing as an intp that gets around?
    By Ulaes in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-08-2009, 02:49 AM
  4. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  5. There's no such thing as motivating someone?
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO