User Tag List

First 3745464748 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Penda View Post
    If the idea of white privilege gives Tim Wise a fuzzy feeling inside, he is welcome to it. But if such privilege exists today, it is restricted to a subgroup of whites, along with a growing number of successful minority groups.
    Wouldn't having money and/or education simply compound upon the priviledge?

White priviledge is not about being rich and/or educated. It's simply about being perceived as "white":

As part of the study, which began in February 2004, 13 applicants went on nearly 3,500 job interviews with 1,470 private companies. All jobs were entry level.

The men were given the same qualifications and experience, while criminal history was randomly assigned. The most striking results of the study were that white males with criminal records were just as likely as blacks with no criminal history to find employment. Also, having a criminal record reduced the number of positive responses from employers by 57% for black applicants but only by 35% for their white counterparts. Latinos also fared better than blacks.....

"A felony conviction confers roughly the same penalty to job applicants as does minority status," wrote Pager and Western in Discrimination in Low-Wage Labor Marketslabor market A place where labor is exchanged for wages; an LM is defined by geography, education and technical expertise, occupation, licensure or certification requirements, and job experience
    "These findings are consistent with the hypothesis that employer discrimination along the lines of race, ethnicity, and criminal conviction status remains a salient source of inequality in contemporary urban labor markets."
    http://http://www.thefreelibrary.com.....-a0141624655
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Wouldn't having money and/or education simply compound upon the priviledge?

White priviledge is not about being rich and/or educated. It's simply about being perceived as "white":

http://http://www.thefreelibrary.com.....-a0141624655
    Which would indicate discrimination against blacks rather than white privilege, since it doesn't mention how Asians and Latinos fared, who are a large and growing demographic. Also, the study just represents New York City so I'm not sure it would hold true in California, where I live. Interesting study though. I'll have to do some more reading.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Penda View Post
    Which would indicate discrimination against blacks rather than white privilege, since it doesn't mention how Asians and Latinos fared, who are a large and growing demographic. Also, the study just represents New York City so I'm not sure it would hold true in California, where I live. Interesting study though. I'll have to do some more reading.
    More in reference to your last post, but whatever.

I think you're going to have to take race (i.e, "white," "black," etc) out of the context of which you know it now. Those terms are confusing - intentionally so. When you accept that race is nothing but an imaginary social construct intended to purposely disadvantage some so as to ensure the dominant group's power, wealth, and abundance of resources than I think you may start to at least consider the idea of white privilege.

Don't get hung up on what you think white privilege is without understanding the way it's used in critical race theory. You'll more than likely be wrong and begin to base your definition on casual terminology, and that's the number one bad move.

I'll try to come back and provide links and a little analysis.
    It is way late, and I am tired.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post

I can understand why societies in the minority feel as though they warrant a day to celebrate the hardships of discrimination and how they rose to equality. It's just that to me it seems as though "pride" can only be distributed to societies with a romantic background; rising from the bottom to the top (or equal, in this case). The main argument against pride of being white, heterosexual, etc is that "Well you've always had it easy!" It seems that pride implies a certain romanticism. Why can't the caucausian community simply dedicate a day in which they celebrate how they contributed to the world?
    I do not think there should be a "white pride" celebration/day/month what ever, i'm pretty sure it would be taken over by and used for the promotion of scum bags like the BNP and KKK. It's a terrible idea.
    All it would do is add to the already huge, media helped, gulf between "races".

The way i see it is that we are all from the same country originaly, skin tone/body form etc have all just been part of an evolutionary shift for different peoples to adapt to their given environments.

I'm not white anyway i'm a kind of peachy creamy colour with a bit of yellow and green plus extras.

In saying all this and although i'm not religious i was pretty miffed when my sons reception nativity play was ditched for 10 little ducks to be more inclusive. I like traditions as long as they don't hurt anyone and i fail to see why we would embrace other religious celebrations but toss aside the majority one? But this could be a seperate topic.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Why not, white people should be proud of their Celtic Anglo Saxon roots, they should walk through the streets dressed as Thor in parades or whatever and I'd go check it out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers Superstar View Post
    Why not, white people should be proud of their Celtic Anglo Saxon roots, they should walk through the streets dressed as Thor in parades or whatever and I'd go check it out.
    Well yes why not but i don't think it's quite the same thing. We could celebrate various times in western european history...pagan, anglo-saxon, Norman, Roman etc etc
    I see your reasoning and i love history and the idea of having a celebration
    (minus the mjollnir's) about all theese events/times is great but i think putting a label like "white pride" on it would be an absolute disaster.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers Superstar View Post
    that would be pretty awesome, I'm not going to lie.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I'll try to come back and provide links and a little analysis.
    It is way late, and I am tired.
    Please do, otherwise people just seem to be throwing out terms we don't understand that sound vaguely offensive.

Also, please include other minority groups. There is more being discussed here than just black and white.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

White privilege is the privilege of being normal. In a culture that glorifies the exceptional as much as ours does, that may not seem like such a big deal, but when you will never be within that norm, you see the distinction.

Think of an average American. What color is his skin?

(If you're really smart, you'll see what I really did there)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    White privilege is the privilege of being normal. In a culture that glorifies the exceptional as much as ours does, that may not seem like such a big deal, but when you will never be within that norm, you see the distinction.

Think of an average American. What color is his skin?

(If you're really smart, you'll see what I really did there)
    Actually most people do not fit the norm, most people are marginalised. I think the "mainstream" is a load of old tosh. When you take away all those that are marginalised, instead of having a raging torrent of mainstream you end up with a piddly puddle. But this may be another thread