User Tag List

First 364445464748 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why is it called "white privilege" and not "(x-minority-here) hardship"? I mean people keep talking about how (x-minority-here) is being treated as "less than human", and a privilege is generally something earned that is not a right and can be taken away. Aren't the implication of "white privilege" is that whites should be pulled down to the level of how minorities are treated rather than trying to treat minorities with the same "privilege," i.e. normal human decency that whites are treated with?

Come to think of it, that might be why so many white people are uncomfortable with he term.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Why is it called "white privilege" and not "(x-minority-here) hardship"? I mean people keep talking about how (x-minority-here) is being treated as "less than human", and a privilege is generally something earned that is not a right and can be taken away. Aren't the implication of "white privilege" is that whites should be pulled down to the level of how minorities are treated rather than trying to treat minorities with the same "privilege," i.e. normal human decency that whites are treated with?

Come to think of it, that might be why so many white people are uncomfortable with he term.
    I think this video clip, starting at 14:35, pretty much covers it.YouTube - Talk - Tim Wise on White Privilege
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    The pedant in me does kind of consider the all-inclusive "African American" term unsatisfying because it's not accurate in many cases. But I understand why it became popular. With people being snatched from their original communities, forced into slavery and stripped of their heritage, "African" is about as close as many people have been able to get to identifying descent. Does it cover everyone? No. As far as the black pride thing goes, perhaps there are other ethnic groups that are considered "black" that might not feel the need to participate in "black pride" movements. The black pride thing came about as a result of years of slavery and oppression in this country. If whites had the history here that blacks have, a white pride day/month might make more sense.
    This is pretty much how I feel about the "african american" or "black culture" thing. It slowly dawned on me from a few things. I had a prof in school who was from a country in Africa. He had no need to be called "african-american" he was Nigerian (or whichever it was). Then I knew someone who was a little offended when people called him "african-american" because he was just here for college and wasn't even an "american" - they called him AA cause he was "black." Then someone from another country not understanding the "black" thing because the blacks they know trace to a country.

Slavery muddled national identity for generations of black americans, which is what most people go with as their "identity pride."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I said that? I'm pretty sure that I said Federal Grants have no criteria for race. Do you know of one that does? In my response to you, I specifically said that race and ethnicity, and a whole host of other things, are used in distributing institutional financial aid(scholarships, specifically).
    You cleared up the distinction between grants and scholarships later, after your error was pointed out.

Perhaps I should've asked you to elaborate because I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. FAFSA is for Federal Aid. I'm almost positive FAFSA doesn't ask you about your race. Why would you be identifying yourself as "white", or anything else concerning race, on the FAFSA? What year were you applying?
    Early 90s.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Excuse me, but my post wasn't a shot at you.

Um. Okay. Do you even understand what "white privilege" is under sociological terms?

Would you like me to direct you to some of my earlier posts?
    As a quote reply to my comments I sort of assumed it was directed at me, yes.... and I haven't read every page in this thread, so feel free to direct and/or explain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I haven't read every page in this thread, so feel free to direct and/or explain.
    You know what? Scratch that.

Here's a more recent post from EnFpFer:

I think this video clip, starting at 14:35, pretty much covers it. Tim Wise on White Privilege

were your parents victims of a government based/institutional strategy of oppression based upon their demographic group?
    Yes, as a matter of fact they were, that's why they moved to America.

Tell me about this "institutional oppression", I'd like to know more.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFJ

The idea of white privilege is based on the idea that white people are some sort of monolithic block, which I think puremercury debunked earlier in this thread. Whites in the rural Appalachians are among some of the poorest people in America and have been for hundreds of years. And yet they are considered in the same group as rich Manhattanites or upper middle class suburbanites who understand the political and financial system inside and out. Even if a system of privilege does exist, you have to be aware of it to participate. If you look at Ivy League admissions, you will find that whites from "Middle America" are among the least represented. Cubans, Japanese, Indians and Koreans who migrate to the US are often already fairly well off and yet they still have interest groups working in their favor or band together in mutual self-interest. If the idea of white privilege gives Tim Wise a fuzzy feeling inside, he is welcome to it. But if such privilege exists today, it is restricted to a subgroup of whites, along with a growing number of successful minority groups.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

White privilege just means that what is part of dominant American culture is seen as normal, and not anything distinct in and of itself. It means that you get to be part of the ingroup any time you want to. Other races do not have this privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    White privilege just means that what is part of dominant American culture is seen as normal, and not anything distinct in and of itself. It means that you get to be part of the ingroup any time you want to. Other races do not have this privilege.
    Isn't that true of any country or large group? Sounds like a tautological truth.