User Tag List

First 354344454647 Last

When I read about "white privilege", the moment it begins to convince me, the moment I realise what I owe to it, the moment I feel compelled to fuel it. *Shrugs*

Probably futile to try "fuel" it. In 50 yrs, it's likely that Caucasians won't be the majority, due to immigration and mixing. There were shorter estimates, but they've bumped it up a bit..

MBTI
    ENFJ

However, does caucasians not being the majority necessarily rid them of their privilege? In many places, we have seen that minority does not necessarily mean not privileged.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Yes, there are any number of institutional, usually merit based, scholarships that have a criteria for race and/or ethnicity(and everything else under the sun too). But what do you mean if you identified as "white" you basically couldn't apply? Who do you think gets those scholarships for people who can claim German, Irish, British, Scottish, Swedish, Jewish, or Polish heritage?...
    I mean exactly what I said. The federal government doesn't distinguish between Germans, Irish, French, etc. They're all "white". You said that race was not a criteria that was used in distributing financial aid and I responded, stating that was untrue based on my firsthand knowledge.

As for the rest of your post, what does it have to do with my first response? I made a factual statement, nothing more.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I mean exactly what I said. The federal government doesn't distinguish between Germans, Irish, French, etc. They're all "white". You said that race was not a criteria that was used in distributing financial aid and I responded, stating that was untrue based on my firsthand knowledge.
    Go look under the qualifications for a restricted scholarship for UC schools.

You will soon see her point.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    yeah, black pride is okay because there's only one kind of black. See papua new guineans, australian aborigines, etc.
    The pedant in me does kind of consider the all-inclusive "African American" term unsatisfying because it's not accurate in many cases. But I understand why it became popular. With people being snatched from their original communities, forced into slavery and stripped of their heritage, "African" is about as close as many people have been able to get to identifying descent. Does it cover everyone? No. As far as the black pride thing goes, perhaps there are other ethnic groups that are considered "black" that might not feel the need to participate in "black pride" movements. The black pride thing came about as a result of years of slavery and oppression in this country. If whites had the history here that blacks have, a white pride day/month might make more sense.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    If whites had the history here that blacks have, a white pride day/month might make more sense.
    They do, but it's not based on their ethnic origin, rather their social class.

Labor Day is technically that day. However, the rest of the world celebrates it on the anniversary of the Haymarket Massacre, in Chicago of all places.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Go look under the qualifications for a restricted scholarship for UC schools.

You will soon see her point.
    I don't care. I pointed out her factual error. End of story.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    The pedant in me does kind of consider the all-inclusive "African American" term unsatisfying because it's not accurate in many cases. But I understand why it became popular. With people being snatched from their original communities, forced into slavery and stripped of their heritage, "African" is about as close as many people have been able to get to identifying descent. Does it cover everyone? No. As far as the black pride thing goes, perhaps there are other ethnic groups that are considered "black" that might not feel the need to participate in "black pride" movements. The black pride thing came about as a result of years of slavery and oppression in this country. If whites had the history here that blacks have, a white pride day/month might make more sense.
    So, Black's who where forced to come here from Africa as slaves are the only ones who should participate in "black pride"? Shouldn't it be Black African-American Slave Descendant Pride instead? Not all blacks are Africans, not all Africans are black, not all African-Americans descended from slaves.

My ancestors were oppressed, murdered, raped and enslaved just as long as the next guy, maybe we just need an Oppressed-Murdered-Raped-Enslaved Ancestor Pride.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I said that? I'm pretty sure that I said Federal Grants have no criteria for race. Do you know of one that does? In my response to you, I specifically said that race and ethnicity, and a whole host of other things, are used in distributing institutional financial aid(scholarships, specifically).

Basically, if you identified yourself as "white" on your FAFSA, you could not apply.
    Perhaps I should've asked you to elaborate because I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. FAFSA is for Federal Aid. I'm almost positive FAFSA doesn't ask you about your race. Why would you be identifying yourself as "white", or anything else concerning race, on the FAFSA? What year were you applying?

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Probably futile to try "fuel" it. In 50 yrs, it's likely that Caucasians won't be the majority, due to immigration and mixing. There were shorter estimates, but they've bumped it up a bit..
    I'm sure that "multiracial" Cubans and Mexicans will conveniently get swept into "whiteness"; just like the Italians and the Jews of yesteryear. Where there's a will...

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    My ancestors were oppressed, murdered, raped and enslaved just as long as the next guy, maybe we just need an Oppressed-Murdered-Raped-Enslaved Ancestor Pride.
    Who's stopping you? In any case, were your parents victims of a government based/institutional strategy of oppression based upon their demographic group? People who support "Black American Pride" aren't doing so simply because they had ancestors, or support the plight of those who have ancestors, who overcame institutional oppression. They're doing it also because they've likely had to ,and continue to have to, overcome some level of institutional oppression themselves(and/or support those who have); and were raised by parents and grandparents who were disallowed to participate as complete citizens in this country(and/or support those who were); most of whom spent much of their childhood's and youth's enduring a continuation of the blatant human right's violations that began with the slave trade in this country, and fighting for their Civil Rights to be considered fully human and treated as such.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.