User Tag List

First 283637383940 Last

Why can't I speak with passion like an INFP.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post

You're wrong to assume that impoverished minorities are on an equal playing field with middle-class whites in the workplace (i.e, more quality education provided in formative years, earlier exposure to words and numbers, etc).
    Is it wrong to assume that impoverished white people are on the same playing field with impoverished minorities? Are there more or less impoverished whites than impoverished minorities?

Isn't exposure to words and numbers just as limited in a poor white household as a poor black household? Is it white middle class america's fault that poor minority parents are just as incapable of facilitating the education of their children as poor white parents?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    Is it wrong to assume that impoverished white people are on the same playing field with impoverished minorities?
    Yes, it would be incorrect to make that assumption. Impoverished "white" people are still "white". They need only change, or hide, their economic status. Being deemed "white" in this society and in our culture is, in and of itself, representative of some level of superiority.

Roughly 11% of "whites" live below the poverty level(which is actually below the national average), compared to nearly 25% of all "blacks". There are only more "whites" on poverty because "whites" are in the majority right now. As a percentage of the "white" population, those in poverty make up a relatively small number.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Yes, it would be incorrect to make that assumption. Impoverished "white" people are still "white". They need only change, or hide, their economic status. Being deemed "white" in this society and in our culture is, in and of itself, representative of some level of superiority.
    Good thing it isn't an assumption then. The higher up you go on the ladder, the clearer the lines separating races are. Poor white is just as bad as poor minority, and if you want to go to college, it's better to be poor minority. How does one go about changing or hiding their economic status and to what end?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Excellent. I was afraid the forum had become too complacent.

This is a) a false analogy - assuming you were comparing the shorter people in the scenario to racial minorities - and b) oversimplification of a rather complex social construct. You also disregarded that there is no inherent difference between minorities and whites and that there are more minorities collectively than there are whites (the supposed majority).
    a) All analogies are false if you hold them to a high enough standard. What I had hoped to illustrate (the nature of markets and demographics) didn't, from what I see, require a high enough standard for which it was inadequate. I believe it was reasonably appropriate.
    b) This is what an analogy does. It takes a complex construct and deconstructs it for separate analyses. I wished to address a simpler deconstruct than simply write a book on race relations.

In some places, a racial majority is just that - the majority of a population. I don't know why you so emphatically state that 'whites' are the largest racial group and simultaneously not the majority. This is not necessarily true at all. It certainly isn't true in the context of the world as a whole.

Sure, but I can't help but feel that this is used as justification for selfishness and lack of concern because you happen not to lie in a "minority," at the moment.
    Worldwide there is a phenomenon where 'white people' are falling behind, in terms of population. This does not concern me. If I'm unconcerned about the plight minorities face, it's not because I'm not in a "minority", it's because I'm apathetic. I don't necessarily care about the plight of the poor, either.

And the sooner we stop stripping everyone of his or her individuality, the better.
    Strawman.

There's nothing wrong with someone seeing themselves as American or Croatian or Kenyan if they are. Ethnicity and nationality play a vital part in our identity. The problem, though, arises only when ethnicity becomes the whole of an identity.
    Do you think governments should discriminate against people, in policy, by their ethnicity/nationality?

You're wrong to assume that impoverished minorities are on an equal playing field with middle-class whites in the workplace (i.e, more quality education provided in formative years, earlier exposure to words and numbers, etc).
    Where did I assume this? Please don't confuse apathy for ignorance.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm not planning to share my opinion, but the original post reminded me of a public radio broadcast I heard this past Tuesday morning:
    Race and the president | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

It's a very interesting program.

MBTI
    INFJ

Poor white is just as bad as poor minority.
    What makes you believe that, and what are you referring to? Mortality? Educational opportunities? Economic mobility? Rates of imprisonment? Career opportunities? What?

and if you want to go to college, it's better to be poor minority.
    Why is that? Poor+minority= academic privilege?

How does one go about changing or hiding their economic status and to what end?
    There are many ways people change their economic status; one way is by getting a new job that pays more. And there are many ways that people go about hiding their economic status; one way is by purchasing material goods that are associated with people of a higher status.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Why is that? Poor+minority= academic privilege?
    I don't know about this, all I hear at school is how Jews have the definite advantage at most private schools.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    ...all I hear at school is how Jews have the definite advantage at most private schools.
    That would make sense.

MBTI
    ISTP

Generally, those who espouse white pride ideals are of inferior socioeconomic status and usually have little education. That said, most whites of higher socioeconomic status with a great deal of education tend to believe and act on white pride ideals. They are just scared/terrified of minorities as they are of the poor in general.

Edit: The only difference is that educated, middle to top class whites are less likely to be vocal about their beliefs of superiority. Education, class, income don't have anything to do with it.
    Whites of higher socioeconomic status would base their pride primarily in their own abilities to surpass the average population, for them to say it is race would discredit themselves and would not account for their relative success. Those of lower status live vicariously through their "racial superiority".

Video: Bill Gates Pt. 1 | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Does he seem proud? He's got nothing to prove to anyone. Pride is compensatory behavior for inferiority, perceived or real.