User Tag List

First 25333435363745 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Pride is a compensatory behavior for inferiority. This is why people react negatively to "white pride" because historically "whites" have been in the strongest in an socio-economic sense, so "white pride" seems unfair.

There is no reason to be proud in your ethnicity. Although it is a part of who you are, it has nothing to your personal choices and doesn't reflect what is unique about you in any way.
    Not sure I agree. Say you have a sibling, who is accepted into the Olympics. You feel proud of that brother or sister of yours. Say that brother or sister wins the gold medal. Would the pride be compensating for inferiority? Would being proud of the person emerging victorious be unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    The sooner we start thinking of people as people and not europeans, africans, asians et cetera, the better. Racially discriminatory policy (such as affirmative action) ultimately only legitimizes, legally, the racist sentiments some individuals carry.
    I will continue to refer to myself as Asian. Nobody is responsible enough to create a status quo/set of values common to all ethnicities. Nobody really knows what "people" means in order to start saying we should get along as "just people".

[edit] Hmm, I'll slim my post down and leave it at that.

I'm more concerned with the "identification" side of things though. As for affirmative action, I might be in agreement with you.

MBTI
    ISTP

Not sure I agree. Say you have a sibling, who is accepted into the Olympics. You feel proud of that brother or sister of yours. Say that brother or sister wins the gold medal. Would the pride be compensating for inferiority? Would being proud of the person emerging victorious be unfair?
    Would you feel as proud of them (relatively speaking) if you and your entire family won gold medals? Consider the difference.

It wouldn't be "unfair" persay, but hypothetically the behavior resulting from your pride would lead to jealousy and resentment from people outside of your social sphere. Not as severe as "white pride" because athletic feats are considered respectable accomplishments, while the racism aspect is leveraged for justification of deeper resentment and opposition.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Pride is a compensatory behavior for inferiority. This is why people react negatively to "white pride" because historically "whites" have been in the strongest in an socio-economic sense, so "white pride" seems unfair.
    There's actually a good point hidden here.

Are those who espouse white pride ideals generally of higher socioeconomic status?

I don't find that to be the case. Take a look at Stormfront.. You'll find a lot of rednecks. I can't seem to bring myself close enough for a more accurate sampling though.

Some of the skinheads I've met didn't do shit but drink. No jobs, it seemed. They also packed themselves in 2 shitty looking cars, looking for fights. Doesn't seem very "well off" to me.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Say the majority of a society was a bunch of people 8 feet tall. Say this group of tall people lived in tall homes, drove tall automobiles, ate tall meals, drank tall drinks. Say then that a minority of the society was short, 4 foot tall people. These people were no less people and potentially every bit as capable as the tall people. They were simply shorter.

However, these shorter people, they lived in the tall society. They had difficulty reaching to the top shelves in grocery stores, reaching the gas pedals in tall cars, seeing films being played in the cinema. Is this discrimination? No. This is the market (whether free or not) producing a majority of goods/services for the majority of consumers.

Should a government come and impose grocery stores must have shorter shelves so the talls must bend down more often? Should the tall cars be produced with a smaller frame making the talls more cramped? No, I don't think so. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Worse than a tyranny of the majority is the tyranny of the politically correct. The consequences of being a minority are unavoidable. As long as one group is recognised as a majority, there must be one or some minorities.

The sooner we start thinking of people as people and not europeans, africans, asians et cetera, the better. Racially discriminatory policy (such as affirmative action) ultimately only legitimizes, legally, the racist sentiments some individuals carry.
    I have to be honest, I didn't read this, as I don't read any posts on current affairs that start with "say there was a society where people were 8 feet tall", or "imagine a farmer with 2 cows". Abstract axioms are an excuse to ignore reality. I live in the real world and am interested in what's happening in our actually existing society.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I have to be honest, I didn't read this, as I don't read any posts on current affairs that start with "say there was a society where people were 8 feet tall", or "imagine a farmer with 2 cows". Abstract axioms are an excuse to ignore reality. I live in the real world and am interested in what's happening in our actually existing society.
    To expand on your cow reference:

"We have on the left a spherical cow of uniform density, on the right is a
    spherical hay stack of uniform density. The two are separated by an infinite fence of infinitesimal thickness delta. Now, before looking at the governing relationships...let's make a few simplifying assumptions."

(And yes, there are lots of variants of the "spherical cow" joke.)

Would you feel as proud of them (relatively speaking) if you and your entire family won gold medals? Consider the difference.

It wouldn't be "unfair" persay, but hypothetically the behavior resulting from your pride would lead to jealousy and resentment from people outside of your social sphere. Not as severe as "white pride" because athletic feats are considered respectable accomplishments, while the racism aspect is leveraged for justification of deeper resentment and opposition.
    More proud. They would not only have succeeded in their accomplishments, but they would have accomplished the difficult task of keeping up with the family. My parents raised me that living up to one's family's good reputation is an accomplishment in itself. The higher such standards, the higher the difficulty, the greater the victory.

The jealousy and resentment of petty people does not concern me. If they were of any significant consequence, they would have no need to be jealous.

I've never been one for racial pride. I grew up in a very international city and I have to consciously make the effort to think of people in terms of race. That my background is as WASPy as they come doesn't come to the forefront of my mind. I imagine if "black pride" can entail pride in people like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., then "white pride" can entail pride in things like the power and dominance of the British Empire and her children, including America. The brilliance of Isaac Newton. The foundation of the computer. The automobile. Both common and civil law. The overwhelming impact of the contributions by "white people." I've only ever heard of "white pride" being in a response to some sort of other ethnic pride. Perhaps it's a kneejerk response.

It's a mimick reaction from a group of people that recognise legitimate racial discrimination. I figure they do that because they don't know what else to do.

I felt it better explained my reasoning, but okay, I'll bite. The majority owes nothing to the minority. If the majority of things are produced to appeal to the majority of consumers, this sounds reasonable.

I've only ever heard of "white pride" being in a response to some sort of other ethnic pride. Perhaps it's a kneejerk response.

White pride is reactionary, eh? Heh. Is that what I'm reading here? I'm only asking.. Need confirmation on this. Usually when someone says something so fucking clownshoes I can't actually believe it. So confirm plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    White pride is merely reactionary? Is that what I'm reading here? I'm only asking.. Need confirmation on this.
    I'm not stating I'm sure that it is. I'm stating I've only seen it as such. I'm open to other ideas.