User Tag List

First 24323334353644 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I'm sure we define entitlement in very different ways.
    It's a pretty straightforward word and concept, is it not?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's a pretty straightforward word and concept, is it not?
    Nope. For one, few people in developed countries other than the US would think of social insurance programs as "entitlement spending".

Ooh.. I'm bumping two race threads in a row.

White pride is retarded. Be specific.

I'm half Asian and half White, but I'm "proud", I suppose, of my white side in a sense - but it's specific.. I'm proud to have Danish history in my family. I can get behind that, if for instance, someone was full Danish too. Or, if someone was Irish, French, etc.. Be proud of those things. If you're just proud of being White in general, then you're up to no good.

I would say no because I dont think peoples identities should rest upon their ethnicity but I also dont want white people to repeat the errors of identity politics perpetuated by others.

Both gay pride and black pride strike me as involving victim mentalities, dependency upon others, unrealistic expectations of others and strangers.

By "ethnicity" do you mean the catchall race terms like "black", "white", "latino", etc??

How about specific culture? Do you think people can't have some affinity for and identification through their specific cultural upbringing? Like, can an Irishman not be an Irishman? Can one not be a Japanese/Italian mix and not identify with any of what their families give them? Are they to be strictly individuals who define themselves their own way in the world?

I will just say one other thing.. I find that usually those from the Caucasian/Euro side only say what you say. And I wonder if it's out of guilt. A way of trying to solve the issue of race relations by just saying "we're all the same". It's a noble thing.. But in the end, it negates people of what they are. I think the more noble thing would be if everyone could get along and still be different. Not just get along through "same-ness" or general "human-ness".

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

This kind of thing just shows where abstract liberal "individual rights" style morality gets us.

The difference is that a white person doesn't have to fight for "rights for whites", as white people statistically are not racially oppressed by any indicator. Non-whites in the west, however, by nearly all indicators (unemployment, poverty, prison statistics, income, education, housing, cultural portrayal) are racially oppressed. That's just a fact. anyone can verify it by looking at the statistics. sorry if it annoys some white people to hear that.

So therefore "black pride" or "Latino pride" or whatever, are attempts to overcome the inequality which is imposed upon these "races". "White Pride" is an attempt to perpetuate these inequalities. So, why on earth should we treat them equally?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    This kind of thing just shows where abstract liberal "individual rights" style morality gets us.

The difference is that a white person doesn't have to fight for "rights for whites", as white people statistically are not racially oppressed by any indicator. Non-whites in the west, however, by nearly all indicators (unemployment, poverty, prison statistics, income, education, housing, cultural portrayal) are racially oppressed. That's just a fact. anyone can verify it by looking at the statistics. sorry if it annoys some white people to hear that.

So therefore "black pride" or "Latino pride" or whatever, are attempts to overcome the inequality which is imposed upon these "races". "White Pride" is an attempt to perpetuate these inequalities. So, why on earth should we treat them equally?
    Most white people don't perpetuate inequalities amongst the non-white communities, whatever that even means, and being proud of their heritage does not equal "Racist Oppressor". Nice excuse though.

The main problem I see is that the majority of poor people are lazy and hedonistic. Most are willing to barely scrape by and have no desire to improve their situation unless it's charity(read: handouts). Unfortunately, a quasi-Capitalist society must have lots of people poor enough to think Mcdonalds Drive-Thru is a good job. Have fun making your Federally Mandated $7.25/hour.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post

Say the majority of a society was a bunch of people 8 feet tall. Say this group of tall people lived in tall homes, drove tall automobiles, ate tall meals, drank tall drinks. Say then that a minority of the society was short, 4 foot tall people. These people were no less people and potentially every bit as capable as the tall people. They were simply shorter.

However, these shorter people, they lived in the tall society. They had difficulty reaching to the top shelves in grocery stores, reaching the gas pedals in tall cars, seeing films being played in the cinema. Is this discrimination? No. This is the market (whether free or not) producing a majority of goods/services for the majority of consumers.

Should a government come and impose grocery stores must have shorter shelves so the talls must bend down more often? Should the tall cars be produced with a smaller frame making the talls more cramped? No, I don't think so. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Worse than a tyranny of the majority is the tyranny of the politically correct. The consequences of being a minority are unavoidable. As long as one group is recognised as a majority, there must be one or some minorities.

The sooner we start thinking of people as people and not europeans, africans, asians et cetera, the better. Racially discriminatory policy (such as affirmative action) ultimately only legitimizes, legally, the racist sentiments some individuals carry.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

[QUOTE=Marduk;1023249]
    Most white people don't perpetuate inequalities amongst the non-white communities, whatever that even means, and being proud of their heritage does not equal "Racist Oppressor". Nice excuse though.
    What is this "white heritage" then, and why do "white people" need to feel part of it in order to feel proud of themselves? I wouldn't be proud of a heritage which exploits me as a worker and then sends me off to die in the colonies to defend someone else's profit, would you?

Also, you should be more careful when quoting. I didn't say "most white people perpetuate inequalities", did I? I said the idea of "white pride" does that. Which is a different point.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ISTP

Pride is a compensatory behavior for inferiority. This is why people react negatively to "white pride" because historically "whites" have been in the strongest in an socio-economic sense, so "white pride" seems unfair.

There is no reason to be proud in your ethnicity. Although it is a part of who you are, it has nothing to your personal choices and doesn't reflect what is unique about you in any way.